Official Soccer/World Cup Thread

QUOTE(Sonik22 @ Feb 11, 2006 -> 05:06 PM)
Go Aston Villa and USA/ Sweden

Aston Villa, HA. You guys have a chairman who just won't spend. :P

West Ham is where it's at. We've won 6 in a row, and could get a place in Europe when it's all said and done.

I know Soxy and Irish71 are big Celtic fans though.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Feb 12, 2006 -> 01:00 PM)
Definately too early for this, but I won't be missing a US world cup game.  I followed the cup avidly 4 years ago and a little when they were in France and the US befor that. 

Last time was fun...the US got so close to getting past Germany.

Just a question, I saw U.S.A were ranked 9th in the world or something? I don't honestly believe they should be that high, as I think these countries are better (just a topic for discussion to try and get the ball rolling).

England

Brazil

Argentina

Holland

France

Italy

Czech Republic

Germany

Spain

Portugal

USA has quite a bit of talent. They will be losing some of the long time leaders from the prior cup teams, but at the same time we will be stepping up a notch in terms of talent and some of our younger players who excelled in the world cup last year (it was some of those guys coming out parties) will be a little more seasoned and ready.

Plus we have some of the best goalkeeping in the world, in fact, I think aside from Germany we have the best goal keeping in the world.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Feb 12, 2006 -> 06:49 PM)
USA has quite a bit of talent.  They will be losing some of the long time leaders from the prior cup teams, but at the same time we will be stepping up a notch in terms of talent and some of our younger players who excelled in the world cup last year (it was some of those guys coming out parties) will be a little more seasoned and ready.

Plus we have some of the best goalkeeping in the world, in fact, I think aside from Germany we have the best goal keeping in the world.

Brad Friedel or Tim Howard will be your GK right? If so, I consider these GK's to be better at least;

Peter Cech - Czech Republic

Gianluigi Buffon - Italy

Jose Manuel Reina - Spain

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Feb 12, 2006 -> 06:14 AM)
Brad Friedel or Tim Howard will be your GK right? If so, I consider these GK's to be better at least;

Peter Cech - Czech Republic

Gianluigi Buffon - Italy

Jose Manuel Reina - Spain

Dida (Brazil/AC Milan) is also better as is Iker Casillas (Spain/Real Madrid). I would still rate Oliver Kahn as a top goalie as well (Germaly/Bayern Munich).

And just for kicks, if you could make an All-World team, who would you have as your starting 11. I would run a 3-4-3 and have:

GK- Gianluigi Buffon (Juventus/Italy)

RB- John Terry (Chelsea/England)

CB- Paolo Maldini (AC Milan/Spain)

LB- Rio Fredinand (Manchester United/England)

Mid- Pavel Nedved (Juventus/Czech Republic)

Mid- Kaka (AC Milan/Brazil)

Mid- Frank Lampard (Chelsea/England)

Mid- Ronaldinho (Barcelona/Brazil)

RF- Thierry Henry (Arsenal/France)

CF- Wayne Rooney (Manchester United/England)

LF- David Trezeguet (Juventus/France)

QUOTE(zenryan @ Feb 12, 2006 -> 03:23 PM)
I would not consider Portugal and Spain as better teams than the US.

Those two teams have always been underachieving in International play

That was a good joke.... :lolhitting

Although Figo is getting up in age, the likes of Ferreira and Ronaldo still make Portugal dangerous. Spain.....please, they are a top contender. They have one of the top goalies in the world in Iker Casillas and have a great group of strikers and midfielders like Raul, Xavi, and Alsonso although the health of all 3 make them iffy. Not to mention a strong defense headed by Barcelona defender Carles Puyol.

Edited by SoxFan1

Well the Bhoys are up by 13 points in the league. And the Rangers are in 4th place. So all is good with my club team. We took them at Ibrox this weekend 1-nil.

Onto the Cup.

The US defense should be solid. They have finally figured out what makes the English defense so good. Tall athletic guys who can box out people on set pieces. We have had pretty good goalkeeping over the last few decades.

Our problem is creativity in the midfield, and good solid striking. Our strikers get into positions to score however their striking capability on goal is horrible. They either field goal the ball or its totally off the mark. Sometimes putting a good ball on goal with pace even if its saved can setup a play later on.

Donovan is okay. When he plays against Costa Rica he looks like a world beater. When he plays against a physical defense he disappears.

Keeping Eddie Johnson healthy should be priority number 1 until the cup. He is our most dangerous striker right now. The US needs to find a guy to take over Claudio Reynas spot eventually. When he is not on the field the offense becomes stagnant. He has nice crisp passes and provides some nice running feeds.

I would like to see EJ and McBride up front with Donovan playing and attacking mid position. Beasley will be a huge key. Playing for PSV Beasley has improved his striking capability bit time. Watching his finishing this year over the last few years is like watching two different players.

I would like to see Adu make this team just to get him experience. If we really believe he is the future of our team, then its time to get him on the pitch. He can provide a nice option off the bench as his pace is nice and his ability to dribble around players is not quite as good as Ronaldo from Portugal, but he could be that kind of electric footsman.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Feb 13, 2006 -> 12:34 AM)
Well the Bhoys are up by 13 points in the league.  And the Rangers are in 4th place.  So all is good with my club team.  We took them at Ibrox this weekend 1-nil. 

Onto the Cup.

The US defense should be solid.  They have finally figured out what makes the English defense so good.  Tall athletic guys who can box out people on set pieces.  We have had pretty good goalkeeping over the last few decades.

Our problem is creativity in the midfield, and good solid striking.  Our strikers get into positions to score however their striking capability on goal is horrible.  They either field goal the ball or its totally off the mark.  Sometimes putting a good ball on goal with pace even if its saved can setup a play later on.

Donovan is okay.  When he plays against Costa Rica he looks like a world beater.  When he plays against a physical defense he disappears. 

Keeping Eddie Johnson healthy should be priority number 1 until the cup.  He is our most dangerous striker right now.  The US needs to find a guy to take over Claudio Reynas spot eventually.  When he is not on the field the offense becomes stagnant.  He has nice crisp passes and provides some nice running feeds. 

I would like to see EJ and McBride up front with Donovan playing and attacking mid position.  Beasley will be a huge key.  Playing for PSV Beasley has improved his striking capability bit time.  Watching his finishing this year over the last few years is like watching two different players. 

I would like to see Adu make this team just to get him experience.  If we really believe he is the future of our team, then its time to get him on the pitch.  He can provide a nice option off the bench as his pace is nice and his ability to dribble around players is not quite as good as Ronaldo from Portugal, but he could be that kind of electric footsman.

I don't know if Adu is god enough to reach Cristiano Ronaldo's level but he certainly has the potential. Obviously, he is still very young and has a lot to learn.

Brian McBride plays for Fulham right? With Carlos Bocanegra?

Yah, Celtic is owning the s*** out of the table this year. Did you see Hibs beat the snot out of Livingston the other day? 7-nil!

The US is in a really tough spot with the draw they got in the World Cup. Italy and Czech Republic are both very tough teams, and Ghana, although not stellar, is athletic and has Michael Essien. I'd be somewhat surprised if they got out of their group. After that, Brazil is a probable matchup, and they can't touch them.

The US is getting better, but I don't think they have enough playmakers to beat the elite teams. Donovan, Beasley, and Johnson are fairly solid, but that just can't compare with the type of talent that teams like Brazil, Spain, and Italy have up front.

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Feb 12, 2006 -> 10:45 PM)
I don't know if Adu is god enough to reach Cristiano Ronaldo's level but he certainly has the potential. Obviously, he is still very young and has a lot to learn.

Brian McBride plays for Fulham right? With Carlos Bocanegra?

Yah, Celtic is owning the s*** out of the table this year. Did you see Hibs beat the snot out of Livingston the other day? 7-nil!

Adu to Chelsea speculation

Adu will wind up on Chelsea via transfer once he becomes age eligible. The MLS will make big coin on a transfer fee. Chelsea and Manu are fighting for this kid. He has a lot more talent than we have seen. I think he can reach Cristianos level as long as he gets the hell out of the MLS. The longer he plays here the more it will take away from his development. I would like to see Freddy in the Serie A or in La Liga. Then when he is in his early 20s move over to the Premiership. The Serie A and La Liga really teach some of the most electric striking football. However the Premiership is where you go up against some of the most physical defenses. I think the combo is a great way to develop a player.

McBride does play for Fulham. Coleman has been great for giving opps for our players. Bocanegra has regressed a bit this year. I would like to see Spector get more time on the pitch with Charlton to get experience.

I was hoping a few years back that they would allow the Rangers and Celtic to join the EPL. The Scottish league is getting better however there is still a big talent difference between the middle of the pack EPL teams and the Scottish Premiership. It kills them once they get into Europe every year.

Edited by southsideirish71

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Feb 12, 2006 -> 10:49 AM)
And just for kicks, if you could make an All-World team, who would you have as your starting 11. I would run a 3-4-3 and have:

GK- Gianluigi Buffon (Juventus/Italy)

RB- John Terry (Chelsea/England)

CB- Paolo Maldini (AC Milan/Spain)

LB- Rio Fredinand (Manchester United/England)

Mid- Pavel Nedved (Juventus/Czech Republic)

Mid- Kaka (AC Milan/Brazil)

Mid- Frank Lampard (Chelsea/England)

Mid- Ronaldinho (Barcelona/Brazil)

RF- Thierry Henry (Arsenal/France)

CF- Wayne Rooney (Manchester United/England)

LF- David Trezeguet (Juventus/France)

Shevchenko man! He might not be on a team that is going to make noise in the World Cup, but he is a monster for AC Milan. Trezeguet has talent, but I don't think he has the credentials of your other two strikers and Shevchenko.

QUOTE(ZoomSlowik @ Feb 13, 2006 -> 12:57 AM)
The US is in a really tough spot with the draw they got in the World Cup. Italy and Czech Republic are both very tough teams, and Ghana, although not stellar, is athletic and has Michael Essien. I'd be somewhat surprised if they got out of their group. After that, Brazil is a probable matchup, and they can't touch them.

The US is getting better, but I don't think they have enough playmakers to beat the elite teams. Donovan, Beasley, and Johnson are fairly solid, but that just can't compare with the type of talent that teams like Brazil, Spain, and Italy have up front.

Well, the US beat Japan 3-2 yesterday because of Tayler Twellman's absolute awesomeness. Italy and the Czech's will be hard to beat. Cech and Nedved are top players and Baros is a pretty unknown commodity and Smicer is a great leader. It will be hard for the US to not finish third. Ghana also has Samuel Kaffour.