Official Soccer/World Cup Thread

QUOTE(ZoomSlowik @ Feb 12, 2006 -> 10:57 PM)
The US is in a really tough spot with the draw they got in the World Cup. Italy and Czech Republic are both very tough teams, and Ghana, although not stellar, is athletic and has Michael Essien. I'd be somewhat surprised if they got out of their group. After that, Brazil is a probable matchup, and they can't touch them.

The US is getting better, but I don't think they have enough playmakers to beat the elite teams. Donovan, Beasley, and Johnson are fairly solid, but that just can't compare with the type of talent that teams like Brazil, Spain, and Italy have up front.

Once you get into the WC everyone is a tough draw.

Its about strategy and what you try to accomplish. When the US faced Portugal they were supposed to get wiped off the map in that game. But what did they do, they attacked attacked attacked and before you knew it Portugal was down.

The way you go after the Czech is you have to attack them. If you sit back and try to counter them you will wind up getting humiliated. They have too good of a striking game. Its kind of in a way playing a brazil type game. The US has played Brazil tough over the last few years by attacking them. Now when Arena gets goofy at the end and decides to hunker down for the draw is when they get beat. He pulls off strikers and then puts in defenders, a few minutes later Brazilian players are pummeling the goalmouth with shots. You have to play and attacking type of football with the Czechs.

With Italy its the opposite. They hunker down at times, so you have to counter them. Get them in a mismatch as far as numbers coming down the field and you have a chance to beat them. We have played them tough over the last few games.

Ghana is a physical type team. Our guys will be fine as long as they dont start to look to the refs looking for help when they get knocked down. I have seen this in Concacaf qualifing when they play away and get a ref who lets physical play happen. They get knocked down a bit and then they go quiet. Dont lose our cool and you will be okay.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Feb 13, 2006 -> 01:01 AM)
Adu to Chelsea  speculation

Adu will wind up on Chelsea via transfer once he becomes age eligible.  The MLS will make big coin on a transfer fee.  Chelsea and Manu are fighting for this kid.  He has a lot more talent than we have seen.  I think he can reach Cristianos level as long as he gets the hell out of the MLS.  The longer he plays here the more it will take away from his development.  I would like to see Freddy in the Serie A or in La Liga.  Then when he is in his early 20s move over to the Premiership.  The Serie A and La Liga really teach some of the most electric striking football.  However the Premiership is where you go up against some of the most physical defenses.  I think the combo is a great way to develop a player. 

McBride does play for Fulham.  Coleman has been great for giving opps for our players.  Bocanegra has regressed a bit this year.  I would like to see Spector get more time on the pitch with Charlton to get experience. 

I was hoping a few years back that they would allow the Rangers and Celtic to join the EPL.  The Scottish league is getting better however there is still a big talent difference between the middle of the pack EPL teams and the Scottish Premiership.  It kills them once they get into Europe every year.

I think sending Adu to La Liga would be perfect for him. Italy is too much of a step up I would think. Send him to a mid/upper level team like Atletico Madrid or Valencia and I think he would accel. Then toss him over to Chelsea and watch him grow.

Holy schnike, Chelsea to get Mikel too! Wow.

Edited by SoxFan1

QUOTE(ZoomSlowik @ Feb 13, 2006 -> 01:03 AM)
Shevchenko man! He might not be on a team that is going to make noise in the World Cup, but he is a monster for AC Milan. Trezeguet has talent, but I don't think he has the credentials of your other two strikers and Shevchenko.

Shevchenko probably is better than Trezeguet but I chose Trezeguet because of his national prestige with France and because Juventus is first and AC Milan isn't.

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Feb 13, 2006 -> 04:05 PM)
Well, the US beat Japan 3-2 yesterday because of Tayler Twellman's absolute awesomeness. Italy and the Czech's will be hard to beat. Cech and Nedved are top players and Baros is a pretty unknown commodity and Smicer is a great leader. It will be hard for the US to not finish third. Ghana also has Samuel Kaffour.

They've also got Marek Jankulovski, Jan Koller (mammoth striker up front). They made the final of the European Championship a few years ago IIRC. One of the more underrated teams in international soccer for sure.

• 2 weeks later...
QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Feb 21, 2006 -> 08:54 AM)
Was Ashton a helluva pick-up for West Ham or what?

I'm liking our method of Alan Pardew trying to buy the best young English Players he can to mould a team that can get into Europe. Players like Anton Ferdinand, Nigel Reo - Coker etc. have gone from strength to strength this season.

Ashton could even be a late bolter for the England World Cup Squad, but he needs to keep scoring.