• Jimmy Carter (1977-1981)
    • Richard Nixon (1969-1974)
    • William Taft (1909-1913)
    • Millard Fillmore (1850-1853)

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Jeckle2000 @ Feb 14, 2006 -> 05:41 AM)
Actually Lincoln didn't give a s*** about slavery... He didn't really free anyone... In fact he was actually a racist...

As for Washington... Well I just never liked the name...

No Lincoln did give a s*** about slavery.... what he wanted was not to stop the south doing it but stopping it from spreading which in the long run would of killed it anyways.... and everyone back at that time was a racist by todays standards....

Can I bring up a non-favorite/worst president question?

My teacher (who is an absolute American History buff, extremely intelligent lady) last year for AP class told me about one of the presidents who would hold these giant parties, and would literally bring in big (and I mean huge) blocks of cheese in. Anyone know who the heck I'm talking about?

And, since I don't think I'm really entitled to give a well-rounded opinion on the subject, what everyone's thoughts on FDR? Good, bad, otherwise?

BTW -- the reason I ask is because I remember studying a lot about him last year, but not remembering most of it this year (I'm in a European History course this year). It seems to me that there was something specific that rubbed me the wrong way about him (though, overall, I was very impressed by what he did for this country, WPA, CCC, etc etc)...

Ahh -- now I see the 'Best Pres.' thread. Nevermind.

Edited by CWSGuy406

From a Blog called "Big Block of Cheese"

When Andrew Jackson was President, he would place a Big Block of Cheese in the White House for common citizens to come and partake and discuss their issues with the President. On the West Wing this day of the year was commemarated as "Throw Open Our Office Doors To People Who Want To Discuss Things That We Could Care Less About" Day.

I was thinking it was Jackson, but I googled it to make sure.

Edited by YASNY

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Feb 13, 2006 -> 11:58 PM)
Can I bring up a non-favorite/worst president question?

My teacher (who is an absolute American History buff, extremely intelligent lady) last year for AP class told me about one of the presidents who would hold these giant parties, and would literally bring in big (and I mean huge) blocks of cheese in.  Anyone know who the heck I'm talking about?

And, since I don't think I'm really entitled to give a well-rounded opinion on the subject, what everyone's thoughts on FDR?  Good, bad, otherwise?

BTW -- the reason I ask is because I remember studying a lot about him last year, but not remembering most of it this year (I'm in a European History course this year).  It seems to me that there was something specific that rubbed me the wrong way about him (though, overall, I was very impressed by what he did for this country, WPA, CCC, etc etc)...

Ahh -- now I see the 'Best Pres.' thread.  Nevermind.

As YASNI said it is President Jackson. His Inguration party absolutely tore up the White House, destroying all the dishes and most of the china. Jackson knew how to throw a party.

QUOTE(BHAMBARONS @ Feb 14, 2006 -> 11:25 AM)
As  YASNI said it is President Jackson.  His Inguration party absolutely tore up the White House, destroying all the dishes and most of the china.  Jackson knew how to throw a party.

Another fun fact about Andrew Jackson: in his youth, he participated in many duels. One of these was with Thomas Hart Benton, in 1813. After Benton shot Jackson, he fled Tennessee for the relative safety of Missouri. Jackson carried the bullet for many years.

Years later, when both men were in Washington, Jackson's doctors agreed to remove the bullet. Jackson offered the bullet back to Benton, but Benton declined, saying that Jackson now owned the bullet.

QUOTE(Mplssoxfan @ Feb 14, 2006 -> 12:54 PM)
Another fun fact about Andrew Jackson: in his youth, he participated in many duels.  One of these was with Thomas Hart Benton, in 1813.  After Benton shot Jackson, he fled Tennessee for the relative safety of Missouri.  Jackson carried the bullet for many years.

Years later, when both men were in Washington, Jackson's doctors agreed to remove the bullet.  Jackson offered the bullet back to Benton, but Benton declined, saying that Jackson now owned the bullet.

If this is asme duel I'm thinking of, Benton was known for his accuracy. Jackson supposedly wore heavy clothing under a loose fitting coat, which caused Benton to shoot for where he thought the heart would be as opposed to where it actually was. The shot just missed Jackson's heart.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Feb 13, 2006 -> 09:58 PM)
And, since I don't think I'm really entitled to give a well-rounded opinion on the subject, what everyone's thoughts on FDR?  Good, bad, otherwise?

I think FDR has his good points and his bad points. Good points...i.e. fixing a lot of the major problems which drove the economy into the depression. Things like the FDIC, The National Labor Relations Act, Social Security were all some very good programs. On the other hand, there were quite a few wasteful programs as well, such as the WPA, which did a lot of good infrastructure work but also was wasteful as all Hell. Economically, he built the foundations which would allow for the growth of the latter half of the 20th century, but his efforts also struggled to end the depression and may have in some ways made it worse.

Aside from that, you have to look at the war, which of course has its good parts and its bad parts again. You have great moves like taking people who weren't the most obvious choices for the roles and giving them to people like Marshall and Ike, who turned out to be incredibly good choices. You have FDR's move in 1940 or so to start a major armament program in the U.S. military, thus giving us ships rolling off the line in '42 right when we needed them. On the other side, you have his work at Yalta, where he practically gave up Eastern Europe in order to get a pledge from the Russians to declare war on the Japanese, possibly because his health affected his negotiating abilities.

Like I said, some good points, some bad points. I guess maybe what matters most is that he turned out to be a very good leader during some of the most trying times this country has ever faced or will ever face.

QUOTE(Jeckle2000 @ Feb 13, 2006 -> 11:41 PM)
Actually Lincoln didn't give a s*** about slavery... He didn't really free anyone... In fact he was actually a racist...

As for Washington... Well I just never liked the name...

really? Why was he in support of starting the Civil War and in support of the north? Have you ever studied him or read about him to know why he hated slavery?

really?  Why was he in support of starting the Civil War and in support of the north?  Have you ever studied him or read about him to know why he hated slavery?

http://www.nps.gov/liho/slavery/al01.htm

Lincoln on Slavery

Abraham Lincoln is often referred to as "The Great Emancipator" and yet, he did not publicly call for emancipation throughout his entire life. Lincoln began his public career by claiming that he was "antislavery" -- against slavery's expansion but not calling for immediate emancipation. However, the man who began as "antislavery" eventually issued the Emancipation Proclamation, which freed all slaves in those states that were in rebellion. He vigorously supported the 13th Amendment which abolished slavery throughout the United States, and, in the last speech of his life, he recommended extending the vote to African Americans.

My Top 5 Worst:

1. Jack Nicholson - He let those f***ing Martians run amok!

2. Morgan Freeman - He sent Robert Duvall to blow-up the Asteroid, not Bruce Willis!

3. Peter Sellers - Let them fight in the War Room, Pussy!!

4. Kevin Kline - Jerk, Philanderer and tried to frame Gandhi!!

5. Richard Nixon's Head - No explanation needed.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Feb 14, 2006 -> 11:36 PM)
In all fairness to the list of worst, we have a pretty damn good record of electijg Presidents, I believe even our worse would kick the crap out of most of the world's leaders.

That's a very good point. Occassionaly, you have those. :lol:

QUOTE(RibbieRubarb @ Feb 14, 2006 -> 05:36 PM)
My Top 5 Worst:

1. Jack Nicholson - He let those f***ing Martians run amok!

2. Morgan Freeman - He sent Robert Duvall to blow-up the Asteroid, not Bruce Willis!

3. Peter Sellers - Let them fight in the War Room, Pussy!!

4. Kevin Kline - Jerk, Philanderer and tried to frame Gandhi!!

5. Richard Nixon's Head - No explanation needed.

This one is not exactly eligible, Nixon's head was (actually will be, in a little under 1000 years from now) president of Earth and I do believe this is a discussion on the worst presidents of the United States.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Feb 14, 2006 -> 08:30 PM)
This one is not exactly eligible, Nixon's head was (actually will be, in a little under 1000 years from now) president of Earth and I do believe this is a discussion on the worst presidents of the United States.

Overanalyzing Futurama references.. :P

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Feb 14, 2006 -> 07:30 PM)

To-may-to/to-mah-to :D

Easily Jimmy Carter, all he did was sent us into recession. He also made our kidnapped soldiers spend 400+ days in captivity. If any president serves his soldiers up as appetizers to the enemy then he is not fit to hold the office of president. And then he has the guts enough to criticize President Bush on the war. Carter is such a hypocrite.

Edited by minors