• James Polk (1845-1849)
    • Abraham Lincoln (1861-1865)
    • William McKinley (1901-1905)
    • Woodrow Wilson (1913-1921)
    • Franklin Roosevelt (1933-1945)
    • Harry Truman (1945-1954)
    • Dwight Eisenhower (1953-1961)
    • John Kennedy (1961-1963)

QUOTE(DukeNukeEm @ Feb 12, 2006 -> 09:18 PM)
That is in fact true..

but really if he wouldve wasted time running it through congress n all that, he wouldve missed the shot at the deal.

That's fine, I was just helping Balta prove his point.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(WilliamTell @ Feb 12, 2006 -> 09:31 PM)
I love seeing Madison on your top 5. lol I'm a Madison lover as everyone can tell.

Tons of respect here for Madison and for all the early presidents as you can tell. I believe they had the toughest jobs to do and they did it. Madison also is great president because of his handling of the French and the British instead of making of 2 enemies he worked with France and handled the British as long as possible without making the US appear as weak. Should be on everyone's top 10 at least

I just don't see how anyone can say that Washington stretched the powers of the executive branch, when there was no fixed idea about what those powers were. There was a Constitution, but there were many interpretations about how far those words went. Jefferson wanted a less powerful president, okay, but Hamilton wanted a more powerful president. Washington defined a practical, fairly restrained middle president that has proved to be a pretty successful model. That's greatness.

I'm undecided on Lincoln. His actions very likely saved the union and had the greatest effect on the country, moreso than any other president. However, his disregard for the constition and his expressed limitations of power could have gotten him into some shady territory. Luckily, he made mostly wise decisions (though the habeas corpus episode is very questionable) and didn't make any grave decisions that produced any really regretable results, but separation of powers was created with good reason.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Feb 13, 2006 -> 12:05 AM)
Forgot another Truman one...he also integrated the Army.  Good man.

I personally like the guy for a couple reasons, besides his record as president. He came from pretty humble backgrounds, and he was just s*** on for a long time. The kind of guy you like to root for.

QUOTE(LowerCaseRepublican @ Feb 12, 2006 -> 01:30 PM)
And with all this Lincoln love, how can we forget his suspending of habeas corpus?  And more here: http://www.civilwarhome.com/pulito.htm

Okay, you're right about Habeas Corpus. However, with a rebel force numbering 60,000 plus a mere 30 miles from the White House, and many Confederate sympathisers in and around Washington City (as it was known at the time), he had to go to extraordinary lengths to save the country. The suspension was used in limited circumstances and was done away with as soon as practicable. athough one may think so, the suspension was not unconstitutional. From, Article I, section 9:

"The privilege of the writ of habeas corpus shall not be suspended, unless when in cases of rebellion or invasion the public safety may require it."

The melding of the Declaration with the Constitution was a masterstroke, IMO. Really, instead of adhering to a document which counted slaves as 3/5 of a person and disregarded, as citizens, "indians not taxed", he decided that the message of our nation was inclusiveness.

QUOTE(LowerCaseRepublican @ Feb 12, 2006 -> 01:30 PM)
And with all this Lincoln love, how can we forget his suspending of habeas corpus?  And more here: http://www.civilwarhome.com/pulito.htm

I know all about it and while its a question of an end justifying the means I think he was right to do what he did. Had he not, there might not be a constitution, or an America for that matter, today.

QUOTE(NUKE_CLEVELAND @ Feb 13, 2006 -> 12:05 PM)
I know all about it and while its a question of an end justifying the means I think he was right to do what he did.  Had he not, there might not be a constitution, or an America for that matter, today.

Could not have said it better myself

QUOTE(Rex Kickass @ Feb 13, 2006 -> 01:53 PM)
WOW! Nice reference! I hardly remember that "hit."

It was all from the era where I was program director at our college station. We got sent a whole bunch of promo CDs like that, and I fell in love the the Presidents... There are a few others that no one ever heard of too, that did some really cool stuff.

QUOTE(Rex Kickass @ Feb 13, 2006 -> 01:56 PM)
Remember Fretblanket?

Not off of the top of my head. One I still listen to is Wally Pleasant. Dude was kind of a mix between a folk singer and wierd al. Good stuff. If you ever get the chance to hear "Stupid Day Job" do it.

QUOTE(Rex Kickass @ Feb 13, 2006 -> 02:26 PM)
My favorite Wally Pleasant song is "The Day Ted Nugent Killed All The Animals."

Excellent. You are the first person that I have ever talked to who knows who Wally is that either didn't go to Manchester College, or have me play the songs for them...

Another favorite of mine is "I hate cops" where he does the imitation of Peter Paul and Mary's "If I had a hammer"