Bagwell's shoulder stronger than it was?

sayitaintso

Jeff Bagwell - 1B - Astros

Agent Barry Axelrod believes Jeff Bagwell's shoulder is actually stronger now than it has been in some time.

"He is in better condition at this stage than he's been in four years," Axelrod said. "He wants to play, and he thinks he can play." The Astros, of course, don't want him to play. They're trying to get insurance to pay most of his $17 million salary. Bagwell still has every intention of reporting to spring training. Feb. 12 - 2:03 pm et

Source: Newsday

Wow. Isn't all this uncanny? Frank has been the conerstone veteran of his team as has been Bagwell. I believe they were born the same day, they have close to identical stats, and both of their teams met in the World Series last year for the first time while both were injured, and now BOTH are being driven away and there is bitterness on BOTH their parts?

LMAO, it doesn't stop!

Edited by TheBigHurt

QUOTE(TheBigHurt @ Feb 12, 2006 -> 03:13 PM)
Wow. Isn't all this uncanny? Frank has been the conerstone veteran of his team as has been Bagwell. I believe they were born the same day, they have close to identical stats, and both of their teams met in the World Series last year for the first time while both were injured, and now BOTH are being driven away and there is bitterness on BOTH their parts?

LMAO, it doesn't stop!

Sad because both of them were one of the best right handed hitters, back in the 90’s, in their own league, respectively. But of course, age and injuries will slow players down.

QUOTE(TheBigHurt @ Feb 12, 2006 -> 03:13 PM)

LMAO, it doesn't stop!

Perhaps a reach, but both have very unique ways of hitting too. Thomas lifts his back foot 6 inches or so off the ground while standing on only his front left foot...not something you want to teach your children. Bagwell crouches very low and spreads his feet out quite far...probably 3 feet or more...and then pulls his front foot back.

QUOTE(TheBigHurt @ Feb 12, 2006 -> 05:13 PM)

LMAO, it doesn't stop!

Except that Bagwell was put on the World Series roster and Frank wasn't...maybe Frank's bitterness is a little more justified (I don't agree that it is but just stating a possible position he or his sympathizers might take). Bagwell came up with a chance to give his team a shot at winning in Game 1 but was gassed down by Jenks.

Imagine if Frank came up in the top of the 14th as a pinch hitter instead of Blum (he probably would have come in to pinch hit earlier but for reference sake...), could he have been the one to hit a GW homer on a broken ankle a la Kirk Gibson? Either way, I think that brain (KW and Ozzie leaving him off the roster) won out over heart (Houston using that slot on Bagwell) in this case.

Except that Bagwell was put on the World Series roster and Frank wasn't...maybe Frank's bitterness is a little more justified (I don't agree that it is but just stating a possible position he or his sympathizers might take).  Bagwell came up with a chance to give his team a shot at winning in Game 1 but was gassed down by Jenks.

Imagine if Frank came up in the top of the 14th as a pinch hitter instead of Blum (he probably would have come in to pinch hit earlier but for reference sake...), could he have been the one to hit a GW homer on a broken ankle a la Kirk Gibson?  Either way, I think that brain (KW and Ozzie leaving him off the roster) won out over heart (Houston using that slot on Bagwell) in this case.

The difference was Bagwell was healthy enough to hit. Frank couldn't bat.

The same 17 million reasons why Bagwell would drag himself out there with one arm?

The main reason the Astros want to dump Bagwell is because of his contract. I doubt they even care if he's healthy or not. They want to go with Berkman at 1B, Preston Wilson in LF, Taveras in CF, Lane in RF, and use that $17 million dollars on trying to acquire a starting pitcher like Zito or Contreras. Right now, they don't know whether Clemens will retire or not and even if he comes back to the Astros he won't be able to pitch for them until May 1st. Right now, the back end of the Astros rotation is Wandy Rodriguez and Ezequiel Astacio. That's putrid.

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Feb 14, 2006 -> 11:37 AM)
The main reason the Astros want to dump Bagwell is because of his contract.  I doubt they even care if he's healthy or not.

Point being we can say the same thing about Bagwell, I doubt if he cares if he's healthy or not...the omg17million!1 excuse goes both ways. None of us know what's going on with his body and after last season, if I was the Astros, I wouldnt want him out there unless he was healthy.