Criteria For Choosing a College

SoxFan1

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(farmteam @ Feb 13, 2006 -> 06:42 PM)
Broadcast Journalism and no Missouri on the list?  I heard they were cheap (for an out-of-state school, at least) AND had a good program.  Just wondering.

Not according to the US News Top Broadcasting schools...

QUOTE(farmteam @ Feb 13, 2006 -> 06:51 PM)
1st rule to being a good journalist:  Don't trust one source. :P

Also, are you using the 2006 one?  I don't know if the 2007 edition is out yet, but the 2006 one has been out for quite a while.

Yup, 2006. 2007 isn't out yet.

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Feb 13, 2006 -> 12:23 AM)
God damn, the stress in life never ends. With ACT's less than 2 months away, I'm right on the brink of making my college choice. I pretty much have it narrowed down to my top 5 or 6, but I'm not sure where to go from here. I know alot of you went through this recently and I wanted to know your advice on what to do and what not to do when choosing a college. My top 5 are:

1.) Grand Valley State University

2.) University of Illinois -- Urbana/Champaign

3.) University of Akron

4.) St. Cloud State University

t5.) South Dakopta State University

t5.) Southeast Missouri State University

GVSU is a decent school, depending on what you study. Grand Rapids is a fun town as well, especially since the campus is right downtown.

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Feb 13, 2006 -> 04:47 PM)
Not according to the US News Top Broadcasting schools...

Where does Ohio University--Athens, rank on that list? I always heard they were a good broadcast school. As far as GVSU, my girlfriend had a friend go to school there and run track. She seemed to really like the school and always had good things to say about the school. Also its not too far of a drive from Chicago.

QUOTE(THEWOOD @ Feb 13, 2006 -> 08:33 PM)
Where does Ohio University--Athens, rank on that list? I always heard they were a good broadcast school. As far as GVSU, my girlfriend had a friend go to school there and run track.  She seemed to really like the school and always had good things to say about the school.  Also its not too far of a drive from Chicago.

Not on the list.

I think Mizzou is the best journalism school in the country along with Northwestern. That is probably journalism combined, so for broadcast others might be better. I am also trying to pick a school. So my list is:

1. Mizzou (got in + lots of $$)

1. Northwestern (will hear in mid-march)

3. Wisconsin (got in)

4. Illinois (got in, my favorite school by far for sports, too)

5. Syracuse (will hear in mid-march)

6. Indiana (got in)

I want to be a sports broadcaster. Ideally, a play-by-play announcer, which I have been doing for four years in high school. But, I realize it is nearly impossible to get play-by-play jobs, so I will settle for sports talk show host or sports writer. For those reasons, Mizzou and NU are my top choices. My parents want me to choose Mizzou, wonder why? But, I will make that decision when I hear from Northwestern. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Edited by maggsmaggs

Here's a good list of the best journalism schools. The list doesn't change that often and its from Wisconsin-Madison's journalism website.

http://www.theihs.org/libertyguide/subcate...tml?menuid=2#jo

Gourman Report 10th Ed. 1998

Top Journalism and Mass Communications Programs

1.University of Missouri-Columbia

2. Northwestern University

2. Syracuse

4. Minnesota

5. University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign

6. University of North Carolina Chapel Hill

7. University of Wisconsin-Madison

8. Ohio State University Columbus

9. Michigan State University

10. University of Southern California

11. NYU

12. Indiana University-Bloomington

13. University of Washington

14. University of Kansas

15. University of Texas at Austin

16. Kansas State

17. Marquette University

18. University of Iowa

19. University of Colorado Boulder

20. Ohio University

US News & World Report Rankings (1996)

(*This ranking, as of January 2006, is the most recent for Journalism departments in the U.S.)

I guess this was updated in January.

1. Univ. of Missouri at Columbia

2. Columbia University (N.Y.)

3. Northwestern Univ. (Medill) (Ill.)

4. Univ. of N.C. at Chapel Hill

5.Indiana Univ. at Bloomington

6. University of Florida

7. Ohio University (Scripps)

7. Univ. of Wisconsin at Madison

9. Univ. of California at Berkeley

9. University of Kansas (White)

11. Univ. of Md. at College Park

11. University of Texas at Austin

13. Syracuse U. (Newhouse) (N.Y.)

14. Arizona State Univ. (Cronkite)

15. Univ. of Minn. at Twin Cities

(Rankings determined by responses to questionnaires returned by leading deans and faculty members)

I'm basically in the same position as SoxFan1. My choices are:

University of Chicago

Washington University (St. Louis)

DePaul

Butler

IU

Marquette

DePaul and Butler are probably my top two choices because I have full ride tuition to those schools, along with all the other ones listed on this website. It would be hard to turn down University of Chicago or Washington University if I get accepted however. I still have over a year to decide so we'll see what happens.

I was deciding between GVSU and U of I as well, I chose U of I. I liked the feel there. It was strange cause I had a s***load of connections at GVSU, the head football coach is a family friend, and he knows everyone, but I just didnt feel like I belonged there. I also am going to try to play D2 club hockey at U of I, and their goalie is graduating supposedly :canada

QUOTE(Pauly8509CWS @ Feb 14, 2006 -> 12:37 AM)
I was deciding between GVSU and U of I as well, I chose U of I.  I liked the feel there.  It was strange cause I had a s***load of connections at GVSU, the head football coach is a family friend, and he knows everyone, but I just didnt feel like I belonged there.  I also am going to try to play D2 club hockey at U of I, and their goalie is graduating supposedly  :canada

Anything you did or didn't like about Grand Valley???

Actually, I loved the campus, I thought it was beautiful, but I just didnt fit for some reason. The golf course was a nice little touch for me as well, but I liked the feel at U of I. It fits me better, and I want a Big Ten degree, I know it may not mean much to some, but to me that's a selling point. Plus, the Big Ten athletics are always fun, GVSU kills everyone at everything. I'm sure I'll visit there the next few years, but it just wasn't me. It's a great school, and you may or may not like it there, again, the campus is absolutely gorgeous, the classes are small, and everything seems brand new, but it's a personal thing.

QUOTE(Pauly8509CWS @ Feb 13, 2006 -> 10:37 PM)
I was deciding between GVSU and U of I as well, I chose U of I.  I liked the feel there.  It was strange cause I had a s***load of connections at GVSU, the head football coach is a family friend, and he knows everyone, but I just didnt feel like I belonged there.  I also am going to try to play D2 club hockey at U of I, and their goalie is graduating supposedly  :canada

cool, welcome aboard kid. :cheers

QUOTE(Pauly8509CWS @ Feb 14, 2006 -> 12:47 AM)
Actually, I loved the campus, I thought it was beautiful, but I just didnt fit for some reason.  The golf course was a nice little touch for me as well, but I liked the feel at U of I.  It fits me better, and I want a Big Ten degree, I know it may not mean much to some, but to me that's a selling point.  Plus, the Big Ten athletics are always fun, GVSU kills everyone at everything.  I'm sure I'll visit there the next few years, but it just wasn't me.  It's a great school, and you may or may not like it there, again, the campus is absolutely gorgeous, the classes are small, and everything seems brand new, but it's a personal thing.

That is basically all I have been hearing about it. I cant wait to visit. Sports wise, I know the baseball coach and he has basically reserved a spot for me in the bullpen so that's a plus. As of now, GVSU has the makings of my future college.

QUOTE(Pauly8509CWS @ Feb 13, 2006 -> 10:37 PM)

I'm almost positive DeGeorge is a junior...but he really isn't that good, IMO

QUOTE(maggsmaggs @ Feb 13, 2006 -> 09:09 PM)
I think Mizzou is the best journalism school in the country along with Northwestern.  That is probably journalism combined, so for broadcast others might be better.  I am also trying to pick a school.  So my list is:

1. Mizzou (got in + lots of $$)

1. Northwestern (will hear in mid-march)

3. Wisconsin (got in)

4. Illinois (got in, my favorite school by far for sports, too)

5. Syracuse (will hear in mid-march)

6. Indiana (got in)

I want to be a sports broadcaster.  Ideally, a play-by-play announcer, which I have been doing for four years in high school.  But, I realize it is nearly impossible to get play-by-play jobs, so I will settle for sports talk show host or sports writer.  For those reasons, Mizzou and NU are my top choices.  My parents want me to choose Mizzou, wonder why?  But, I will make that decision when I hear from Northwestern.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Good luck with that... That job route is a b****. I broadcast basketball and football for 3 years in college and got many job offers, but they were all for minimum wage in small towns. The only big town offer I got was for an entry level engineer position with a chance to fill in some shows to work into broadcasting. Its rough.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Feb 14, 2006 -> 08:31 AM)
Good luck with that... That job route is a b****.  I broadcast basketball and football for 3 years in college and got many job offers, but they were all for minimum wage in small towns.  The only big town offer I got was for an entry level engineer position with a chance to fill in some shows to work into broadcasting.  Its rough.

Any suggestions as far as internships and stuff that could helpful. Also, did you want to get play-by-play jobs or sports radio jobs, or both? Everyone I have talked about sports broadcasting says you need to know someone or get extremely lucky and that talent a lot of times won't win out. Are these statements true?

Edited by maggsmaggs