I almost got hit by a car on my way to

hi8is

as some of you know i got a dui..... as a result, i no longer am able to drive a car, but rather.... ride my bike around town.

today on my morning ride to work, i was crossing the street. i was in the crosswalk, had the right of way, and the green. im almost all the way across the street when some idiot comes up and begins to run his red light and make his right turn. he would have ran it too if i wasnt there. he stoped, i surved, and we missed eachother barely.

i just rode away thinking, what a moron.

then he honked at me.

that made me snap. i slammed on my brakes, litterally.... threw my bike down and jumped of it... turned around and walked as fast as i could to his car with both my arms outstreached....

he rolls down his window and asks me,

"WHAT ARE YOU DOIN?"

since he was the one that almost hit me and ran a red light i was kind of confused. the adrlinine in me was overwelming. i snapped. im sure i woke people in near by homes up.... i havent screamed and yealled that loud in a long time... the guy was odviously completely clueless.... the second thing he said to me was,

"thats for people, not bicycles! you cant ride your bike in that!" (refering to the crosswalk)

after this moron just either mangled my body or killed me... i was on such a short fuse.... to be more accurate, there was no fuse..... every car in sight knew just how i felt about this genious memeber of the gene pool.

after hearing that story... lets all say a health f*** you to him. =D

QUOTE(hi8is @ Feb 15, 2006 -> 11:51 AM)
as some of you know i got a dui..... as a result, i no longer am able to drive a car, but rather.... ride my bike around town.

today on my morning ride to work, i was crossing the street. i was in the crosswalk, had the right of way, and the green. im almost all the way across the street when some idiot comes up and begins to run his red light and make his right turn. he would have ran it too if i wasnt there. he stoped, i surved, and we missed eachother barely.

i just rode away thinking, what a moron.

then he honked at me.

that made me snap. i slammed on my brakes, litterally.... threw my bike down and jumped of it... turned around and walked as fast as i could to his car with both my arms outstreached....

he rolls down his window and asks me,

"WHAT ARE YOU DOIN?"

since he was the one that almost hit me and ran a red light i was kind of confused. the adrlinine in me was overwelming. i snapped. im sure i woke people in near by homes up.... i havent screamed and yealled that loud in a long time... the guy was odviously completely clueless.... the second thing he said to me was,

"thats for people, not bicycles! you cant ride your bike in that!" (refering to the crosswalk)

after this moron just either mangled my body or killed me... i was on such a short fuse.... to be more accurate, there was no fuse..... every car in sight knew just how i felt about this genious memeber of the gene pool.

after hearing that story... lets all say a health f*** you to him. =D

hi8is-

I'm glad you are alright.

But I have to tell you this: he was right. Crosswalks, just like sidewalks, are not for bikes. You need to be in the road, as you are a wheeled vehicle. If there is no bike lane, you have rights to the normal lane of traffic. This is the way the traffic laws work.

There are many reasons why bikes on sidewalks are a bad idea, but your experience illustrated one. You are going faster than people on foot, and you make it difficult for people turning to see you in enough time to adjust. If you were in the road with the other traffic, they may be able to more easily see you.

That all said, there are certainly plenty of morons on the road in their cars who could care less about bikes, no matter where they are. Gotta stay alert, which you did, so that is good.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Feb 15, 2006 -> 10:55 AM)
hi8is-

But I have to tell you this: he was right.  Crosswalks, just like sidewalks, are not for bikes.  You need to be in the road, as you are a wheeled vehicle.  If there is no bike lane, you have rights to the normal lane of traffic.  This is the way the traffic laws work.

There are many reasons why bikes on sidewalks are a bad idea, but your experience illustrated one.  You are going faster than people on foot, and you make it difficult for people turning to see you in enough time to adjust.  If you were in the road with the other traffic, they may be able to more easily see you.

That all said, there are certainly plenty of morons on the road in their cars who could care less about bikes, no matter where they are.  Gotta stay alert, which you did, so that is good.

That's true, but according to hi8is here, the guy almost ran a red light. So even if he was 4 feet to the left, he would have been hit if the goon ran the light.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Feb 15, 2006 -> 04:55 PM)
hi8is-

But I have to tell you this: he was right.  Crosswalks, just like sidewalks, are not for bikes.  You need to be in the road, as you are a wheeled vehicle.  If there is no bike lane, you have rights to the normal lane of traffic.  This is the way the traffic laws work.

There are many reasons why bikes on sidewalks are a bad idea, but your experience illustrated one.  You are going faster than people on foot, and you make it difficult for people turning to see you in enough time to adjust.  If you were in the road with the other traffic, they may be able to more easily see you.

That all said, there are certainly plenty of morons on the road in their cars who could care less about bikes, no matter where they are.  Gotta stay alert, which you did, so that is good.

nice to know. i really had no clue that you as a bike.... can't be in accordance with traffic laws and...

a) ride on a sidewalk

B) ride in a crosswalk

so its nice to know.

i guess ill just have to use my helmet all the time and get in the lanes with cars... which, ironicly... will put me at more of a risk... such a paradox.

i dont mean to sound like a jerk, just trying to be honest... i do appricate the info thou.

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Feb 15, 2006 -> 04:59 PM)
That's true, but according to hi8is here, the guy almost ran a red light. So even if he was 4 feet to the left, he would have been hit if the goon ran the light.

yeah, and the traffic laws also state that when approaching a red light, you have to stop behind the crosswalk line.... which of course, hardly anyone abides by.

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Feb 15, 2006 -> 11:59 AM)

I guess I thought he was turning right. If not, then yeah, he falls in that moron category I mentioned.

QUOTE(hi8is @ Feb 15, 2006 -> 12:35 PM)
nice to know. i really had no clue that you as a bike.... can't be in accordance with traffic laws and...

a) ride on a sidewalk

B) ride in a crosswalk

so its nice to know.

i guess ill just have to use my helmet all the time and get in the lanes with cars... which, ironicly... will put me at more of a risk... such a paradox.

i dont mean to sound like a jerk, just trying to be honest... i do appricate the info thou.

I know, its a bit counterintuitive, but there are some good reasons for it.

I actually ride to work during the warmer months as well, and there are the occasional scary moments. My route is mostly bike laned, so I'm lucky that way, though some drivers just wander on over anyway.

And you should definitely keep that helmet on.

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Feb 15, 2006 -> 01:52 PM)
Yeah, but even on a "right turn on red" you have to stop at the red light...behind the line.

Correct.

I don't want to make this a big reenactment or anything, I'm just saying, if he stopped behind the line, looked one way and saw no one, then looked the other way and saw no one and went, and someone had biked into the crosswalk from the first direction (especially if against traffic), then boom. Thats why bikes aren't supposed to be on sidewalks/crosswalks (one of the reasons).

Either way, if the driver ran the red light, he's an a**hole.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Feb 15, 2006 -> 07:01 PM)
Correct.

I don't want to make this a big reenactment or anything, I'm just saying, if he stopped behind the line, looked one way and saw no one, then looked the other way and saw no one and went, and someone had biked into the crosswalk from the first direction (especially if against traffic), then boom.  Thats why bikes aren't supposed to be on sidewalks/crosswalks (one of the reasons).

Either way, if the driver ran the red light, he's an a**hole.

yeah, the moron was going to go right through the red... he barrelled through the front crosswalk line and he stoped only to do his part in avoiding me... he was going to do a "california stop" through the red light.... if he stoped behind the line, looked both ways, and then decieded it was safe to go... he would had seen me immedatly upon stoping.