SI AL Central Preview

chitownsportsfan

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/writ...view/index.html

As preview articles go, this one isn't exactly "in depth". Only a paragraph or so for the Royals, Twins, and Tigers.

It doesn't say anything we don't know about the Sox thats for sure.

Thought I'd link it though since nobody else did. Just another "eh" mainstream media article for me.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(redandwhite @ Feb 15, 2006 -> 04:46 PM)
To be honest, I am not a fan of previews at anytime, but Spring Training seems like an appropriate time. 

Personally, I think your guess is as good as these 'experts.'

Well, Pitchers and catchers report tomorrow, so I think it's a good time.

QUOTE(redandwhite @ Feb 15, 2006 -> 05:02 PM)
You are dead on, I just dislike previews in general.

As far as I'm concerned, it gives us a chance to look back and laugh at the poor souls who tell us every year that the teams with the best shot at the W.S. are the Cubs, Yankees, Red Sox, and Twinkies.

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Feb 15, 2006 -> 06:50 PM)
Check out the A.L. East preview and you'll see why...

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/writ...view/index.html

As Tony implied, my like or dislike of baseball previews has nothing to do with this clown suggesting the Red Sox will finish in third. Nothing.

I only read that preview because it was linked to from an Eric Wilbur article in this mornings Globe. He makes some good points:

I know, I know. We love them, these preseason predictions, each individual's attempt to prophesize how a specific sports calendar will shake out, complete with award-winners, players to change addresses during the course of the season, and who will be saying, "Nobody believed we could do it," come time for the ultimate contest.

Inevitably, of course, they're always wrong. This is particularly truer in baseball, where 162 games really deny the point of any forecast, in that there is far too much time between Point A and Point B to accurately depict a scenario that won't be altered at some point by unforeseen injury, trade, or Keith Foulke.

Aside from the obligatory decision to pencil the Atlanta Braves in at the top of the NL East, show me any and every single preseason prediction over the past 10 years and I can guarantee you that exactly zero percent were 100 percent accurate. Zero. And yet, fans get worked up into a tizzy every time any rawhide Nostradamus wannabes disrespect their team by saying they will, in fact, finish in last place. Unless you're a Devil Rays fan.

http://www.boston.com/sports/nesn/wilbur/s...cast/index.html

As Tony implied, my like or dislike of baseball previews has nothing to do with this clown suggesting the Red Sox will finish in third.  Nothing.

I only read that preview because it was linked to from an Eric Wilbur article in this mornings Globe.  He makes some good points:

http://www.boston.com/sports/nesn/wilbur/s...cast/index.html

I know, I was just messing around. The whole point of these lame previews is just how they think the teams will finish as they currently are constructed on paper. Most of the trades have died down and the last remaining decent free agent (Jeff Weaver) has signed so they feel that the rosters are set enough to project the 2006 standings. Afterall, Spring Training play doesn't help their predictions much. The White Sox went 14-18 in ST last year. These predictions are purely based on the current on-paper rosters and a lot of what the players did last season.

Great article though. One just has to look at last year's predictions on the A.L. Central to see how poor they can be. But that's why they are called "predictions."

Edited by SSH2005

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2006 @ Feb 15, 2006 -> 07:05 PM)
LOL.  No doubt.  I do think you're gonna see a calmer,  more tame Soxtalk in 06.

I doubt it.

Nuke will be back with his ALL CAPS TITLED posts if the Sox win or lose.

People who are sports fans overreact good or bad.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Feb 15, 2006 -> 07:29 PM)
Points of b****ing next season.

-Paul is way overpaid and not preforming.

-Why did we trade for an injured Jim Thome

-Vazquez sucks

-Our bullpen blows

-Anderson is a bum

-This team has no heart

-Ozzie doesnt know what he is doing

Just wait, at one time or another, I expect all of these topics to be posted.

Add Joe Crede to that list.

The guy is put up on a pedestal here for his contributions down the stretch last year. Little do people remember the fact that he was one of the easiest outs, in one of the most friendly offensive parks in the game, for over three-fourths of the season last year.

- Paulie is overpaid, but I can't imagine that will be a problem.

- Thome is going to be hit or miss, but if he's the latter, people will be missing A-Row.

- I think Vazquez pitches well next season, despite pitching in a park that doesn't favor his abilities.

- The bullpen is a definite issue. Can Jenks, Politte, Hermanson even come close to emulating the years they had last year? Keith Foulke will tell you, that you just never know.

- I'm still holding out hope that Borchard wins the centerfielder job (ha)

- This team has heart, period.

- I think Ozzie is a horrible in-game manager, and I blamed much of that bump in the road late last year on him; the fact that the White Sox rolled and did the unthinkable hardly changes my opinion of Guillen's in-game abilities as a manager.

QUOTE(redandwhite @ Feb 15, 2006 -> 09:00 PM)
Keith Foulke will tell you, that you just never know.

He is a mental midget.

No wonder he can't be counted on.

Hopefully you guys have someone who can step in and close in case he implodes.

One of the best days in recent memory was trading him away.

All he did was cough up big games.

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Feb 15, 2006 -> 08:02 PM)
He is a mental midget.

No wonder he can't be counted on.

Hopefully you guys have someone who can step in and close in case he implodes.

One of the best days in recent memory was trading him away.

All he did was cough up big games.

That was hardly the point of my post, and although I won't take it there, I disagree entirely with your opinion of Keith Foulke.

For what its worth, rotoworld quoting a projo article:

"Keith Foulke was the first veteran to report to Red Sox camp. He threw for 13 minutes yesterday.

That's "a great sign," manager Terry Francona said. "I think, in his own mind, he feels like he has some work to do and something to prove." Foulke had surgery on his left knee in July and on his right knee in October. There's no question that he'll be ready for Opening Day, but it remains uncertain whether he'll be the Keith Foulke of 2004 or the one who struggled mightily last year."

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Feb 15, 2006 -> 07:29 PM)
Points of b****ing next season.

-Paul is way overpaid and not preforming.

-Why did we trade for an injured Jim Thome

-Vazquez sucks

-Our bullpen blows

-Anderson is a bum

-This team has no heart

-Ozzie doesnt know what he is doing

Just wait, at one time or another, I expect all of these topics to be posted.

Don't forget the oh-so-clever Judy Garland posts...