Ozzie article in the new Sports Illustrated

Al Lopez's Ghost

Just read the article. I hope Ozzie doesn't change a bit. The only thing that really struck me as odd from that article were the numbers and how Ozzie and his family thought they played a significant part in the title run. I'm not a big believer in things like that, and it seems like coincedence to me, but just in case, let's hope Game 4, 5, 6, or 7 of the World Series is scheduled for October 26th this year.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(jackie hayes @ Feb 17, 2006 -> 10:23 PM)
I was talking about the parents.

Good for him.  I believe he's also given money to Dominican charities, and it's odd that he bothers to hold dual citizenship given such apathy for the country.  What the f*** does Cal Ripken have to do with anything?

Good for you.  I wasn't asking about comparisons, because I don't care who you'd play for.  Someone feels differently, more ambivalent -- what gives you the moral high ground?

They felt it was a better opportunity, then it wasn't, then it was again.  It was an economic choice.  I don't see why your heart should be tied to your wage.

He never mentions a boyhood idol from the Dominican does he? If he loved that country so much you think he would mention a boyhood idol from the Dominican as well. I mean he was there from the age of 4-8. That is such an impressionable age. But there is not one mention of one. Hmmmm.........

You believe he does contribute to the Dominincan Republic or does he actually? I know for a fact he gives a lot more to charities in Miami and New York than he does to the Dominican Republic.

The moral high ground? OK.....

You know for a fact that the parents felt like it was a better opportunity to go back to the Dominican? Who knows why they chose to go back. Maybe it wasn't a choice at all, perhaps they were forced back. You don't know that for certain so don't make false observations. Who said that their heart was tied to economics. A better life and a better future does not mean just economically.

QUOTE(southsideirish @ Feb 18, 2006 -> 07:22 PM)
He never mentions a boyhood idol from the Dominican does he? If he loved that country so much you think he would mention a boyhood idol from the Dominican as well. I mean he was there from the age of 4-8. That is such an impressionable age.  But there is not one mention of one. Hmmmm.........

You believe he does contribute to the Dominincan Republic or does he actually? I know for a fact he gives a lot more to charities in Miami and New York than he does to the Dominican Republic.

The moral high ground? OK.....

You know for a fact that the parents felt like it was a better opportunity to go back to the Dominican? Who knows why they chose to go back. Maybe it wasn't a choice at all, perhaps they were forced back. You don't know that for certain so don't make false observations. Who said that their heart was tied to economics. A better life and a better future does not mean just economically.

Yes, I know for a fact that he has contributed to Dominican causes. In particular, after the flood a couple years ago. But you seem to have the itemized breakdown of his finances, so why don't you let us know?

The Cal Ripken stuff is just dumb. A lot of American kids idolize Albert Pujols. It doesn't mean they don't care about their country. Christ... Some of my friends idolized Harold Baines. I guess they wanted to be black.

The last part is just funny. They come to the US, obviously it's because the opportunities are better. They leave the US, they probably were forced. What happened is that his father felt that he had earned enough money in NY to be able to return to the DR and live comfortably. They wanted to go back to the DR. The Dominican economy went south in the 80s, otherwise they would probably have stayed.

I'm done with this. Noone's pissed about Mulder and Haren being on the Netherlands team, but everyone is yelling to the sky that a guy like this, who's a DUAL CITIZEN ANYWAY, thought about playing for the Dominican team. The guy has NOTHING to gain by dithering as he has. Hang up the fake outrage.

Edit: Haren's not playing, I was wrong about that. But I think Mulder is.

PPS: N/m, I guess Mulder withdrew from the tournament. At least, there's some article in the Rocky Mountain News indicating that.

Edited by jackie hayes

Steinbrenner unhappy with Guillen comments

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_ylt=AoJL...ov=ap&type=lgns

TAMPA, Fla. (AP) -- George Steinbrenner wants Ozzie Guillen to zip his lips.

The New York Yankees owner didn't appreciate a shot the Chicago White Sox manager took at Alex Rodriguez, remarks Guillen later apologized for.

"Shut it up," Steinbrenner said Saturday, moving his hands across his lips in a zipper move. "I like Ozzie Guillen as a manager, but I don't like him when he pops off like that," the Boss said, following with a profanity.

Guillen criticized Rodriguez for saying he would play for the Dominican Republic in the World Baseball Classic, then switching to the United States. Rodriguez was born in the United States but his parents are Dominican.

After making the critical remarks to Sports Illustrated, Guillen apologized Friday.

Steinbrenner didn't think Rodriguez would be bothered by the remark.

"When he gets with the team here, it will be fine. Count on A-Rod," Steinbrenner said.

Steinbrenner sat at the batting cage with manager Joe Torre toward the end of Saturday's workout.

Edited by SSH2005

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Feb 18, 2006 -> 03:23 PM)
Why does Steinbrenner dress and wear jewelry like an old gay uncle?  He looks like Rip Taylor without the moustache.

1c25ff45-cfd9-452a-831d-71a72c201868.rp4

Yankees Press Conference: The gentleman in the black cloak with the sickle has a question for you George?

grimreaper.gif

Edited by southsideirish71

Most people on this board would have an entirely different opinion on this issue if the same thing was said but ARod was playing for the White Sox and Ozzie was managing the Yankees, or if it was Dusty Baker who said these things. Ozzie rarely apologizes. He did this time. That pretty much proves he was very wrong. I think the apology should be enough to bring this story to a close.

QUOTE(jackie hayes @ Feb 18, 2006 -> 08:27 PM)
Yes, I know for a fact that he has contributed to Dominican causes.  In particular, after the flood a couple years ago.  But you seem to have the itemized breakdown of his finances, so why don't you let us know?

The Cal Ripken stuff is just dumb.  A lot of American kids idolize Albert Pujols.  It doesn't mean they don't care about their country.  Christ...  Some of my friends idolized Harold Baines.  I guess they wanted to be black.

I do? Ok, where did I state this? So he donated to the victims there once as far as you know? Ok, He donates every year to American foundations including a foundation that he set up himself in Miami.

It is? Just dumb? Albert Pujols plays for an American organization and that is what most kids know. They don't know his nationality or heritage. Most Dominican kids that grow up in the Dominican have Americans as their boyhood idols? I would doubt this very much. I would think most Dominican's growing up, around A-Rod's age, would have idolized Juan Marichal, Felipe Alou, Cesar Cedeno, or possibly Ozzie Virgil. Kids that consider themselves American's would have American boyhood idols like A-Rod did. For example Alfredo Griffin was Tejada's boyhood idol. A-Rod had 2, both Americans. One is Dale Murhpy, which is why he wear the number 3, and the other was Cal Ripken Jr.

Now you are comparing Harold Baines and wanting to be Black in this argument? This is the by far the dumbest thing I have ever heard and I have heard a lot. You are going to bring race into this argument when it has nothing to do with it? I loved Harold Baines as a child. His stance was awesome and fun to imitate. Harold Baines, as far as I know is an American and played for an American organization. In fact I know he is because I read all about him when I was younger. I read how Bill Veeck first saw him when he was playing little league around Baltimore, MD. Being dominican is not a race, it is a nationality. I never said ARod isn't Hispanic did I? No I didn't. I also never said that he wanted to be something that he isn't. He is an American. He has a Dominican citizenship too, yes, but he is an American. He did play for the Junior American team didn't he? If he always felt like he was a Dominican then why didn't he play for the Dominican Junior National team? They had a team when he was in high school. They wouldn't have wanted him? Was he not considered Dominican to them back then? Just asking.

Edited by southsideirish

QUOTE(southsideirish @ Feb 20, 2006 -> 03:57 PM)
I do? Ok, where did I state this? So he donated to the victims there once as far as you know? Ok, He donates every year to American foundations including a foundation that he set up himself in Miami.

It is? Just dumb? Albert Pujols plays for an American organization and that is what most kids know. They don't know his nationality or heritage. Most Dominican kids that grow up in the Dominican have Americans as their boyhood idols? I would doubt this very much. I would think most Dominican's growing up, around A-Rod's age, would have idolized Juan Marichal, Felipe Alou, Cesar Cedeno, or possibly Ozzie Virgil. Kids that consider themselves American's would have American boyhood idols like A-Rod did. For example Alfredo Griffin was Tejada's boyhood idol. A-Rod had 2, both Americans. One is Dale Murhpy, which is why he wear the number 3, and the other was Cal Ripken Jr. 

Now you are comparing Harold Baines and wanting to be Black in this argument? This is the by far the dumbest thing I have ever heard and I have heard a lot. You are going to bring race into this argument when it has nothing to do with it? I loved Harold Baines as a child. His stance was awesome and fun to imitate. Harold Baines, as far as I know is an American and played for an American organization. In fact I know he is because I read all about him when I was younger. I read how Bill Veeck first saw him when he was playing little league around Baltimore, MD. Being dominican is not a race, it is a nationality. I never said ARod isn't Hispanic did I? No I didn't. I also never said that he wanted to be something that he isn't. He is an American. He has a Dominican citizenship too, yes, but he is an American. He did play for the Junior American team didn't he? If he always felt like he was a Dominican then why didn't he play for the Dominican Junior National team? They had a team when he was in high school. They wouldn't have wanted him? Was he not considered Dominican to them back then? Just asking.

Okay, I won't let this slip.

Yes, he donates to causes in BOTH countries. Whoa...

Maybe he didn't idolize those players because their careers were f***ing over when he was learning to play, for one thing. I can't think of many things that would surprise me less than a good hitting ss idolizing one of the best ss of his childhood, especially when it's another good hitter, something relatively rare at the ss position. But if you believe that all Latinos are blind to everything but nationality, and care more about players they've never even seen play, be my guest.

And yes, the Harold Baines thing is stupid. That was the whole point. Race and nationality are equally irrelevant on the field. I knew damn well that Ozzie and Joaquin Andujar were not American, but they were still among the players I loved. "Kids that consider themselves American's would have American boyhood idols" maybe applies to you, but you're flat wrong if you think it's generally true.

The fact is, he had a hard time deciding. And yet you continue to claim that it was an easy decision. This is a goddam farce.

Okay, I'm really done now. Say whatever you like, but I'm not answering any more questions.

QUOTE(jackie hayes @ Feb 20, 2006 -> 06:32 PM)
Okay, I won't let this slip.

Yes, he donates to causes in BOTH countries.  Whoa...

Maybe he didn't idolize those players because their careers were f***ing over when he was learning to play, for one thing.  I can't think of many things that would surprise me less than a good hitting ss idolizing one of the best ss of his childhood, especially when it's another good hitter, something relatively rare at the ss position.  But if you believe that all Latinos are blind to everything but nationality, and care more about players they've never even seen play, be my guest.

And yes, the Harold Baines thing is stupid.  That was the whole point.  Race and nationality are equally irrelevant on the field.  I knew damn well that Ozzie and Joaquin Andujar were not American, but they were still among the players I loved.  "Kids that consider themselves American's would have American boyhood idols" maybe applies to you, but you're flat wrong if you think it's generally true.

The fact is, he had a hard time deciding.  And yet you continue to claim that it was an easy decision.  This is a goddam farce.

Okay, I'm really done now.  Say whatever you like, but I'm not answering any more questions.

He has donated to the Dominican Republic in one instance, a total of $50,000. Besides that he has not. Most of his donations, for example 3.9 MILLION to the University of Miami, are to American organizations including one that he has set up. Has he set up an organization in the Dominican Republic? Answer is NO!

Explain Dale Murphy being his first idol then. I don't remember him ever playing SS for anyone. As far as I know Dale Murphy was a LFer. I idolized a lot of players that I didn't grow up watching. Babe Ruth, Mickey Mantle, Willie Mays, and Bob Gibson being some of those players. It happens all the time. It is not wierd to me that a Dominican such as Miguel Tejada would have a boyhood hero such as Alfredo Griffin and an American such as A-Rod would have such a boyhood hero as Dale Murphy or Cal Ripken. That is the way things are. That is generally the way things work. That is generally true. The way you see things are not generally true at all.

I too loved Ozzie when he was playing. He was a slick fielder and I liked how he seemed to be friends with everyone on the field. He was constantly talking to anyone that came by and he seemed to be involved in every discussion on the pitcher's mound. Joaquin Andujar and Ozzie Guillen played for American organizations. That is all American kids know. Most don't care about nationality unless they are taught to. This is the 2nd time I have had to tell you this. The only reason you have ever heard of either of them is because they have played for American organizations. You are not helping your case at all.

Did A-Rod have this same tough choice when he was playing for the American National Junior Team? I highly doubt it. Why didn't he play for the Dominican Republic National Junior Team? Why didn't the Dominica team claim him back then? I don't think they considered him to be Dominican. They considered him an American.

Edited by southsideirish

QUOTE(jackie hayes @ Feb 20, 2006 -> 10:11 PM)

:huh

Next time quote me correctly or don't quote me at all.

It is not wierd to me that a Dominican such as Miguel Tejada would have a boyhood hero such as Alfredo Griffin and an American such as A-Rod would have such a boyhood hero as Dale Murphy or Cal Ripken. That is the way things are. That is generally the way things work. That is generally true. The way you see things are not generally true at all.

By the way, I thought you were done responding. I thought it was for real last time, seriously!

Okay, I'm really done now. Say whatever you like

Liar

Edited by southsideirish

A-Rod responds...

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/worldclassic...tory?id=2337484

A-Rod not happy with MLB, WBC organizers

TAMPA, Fla. -- Alex Rodriguez is unhappy with organizers of the World Baseball Classic for the way they handled his decision to play for the United States instead of the Dominican Republic.

The New York Yankees third baseman took issue with reports that he vacillated between playing for the Americans and the Dominicans.

"Just to make it clear, I only spoke once and then I spoke again three months later," Rodriguez said Monday after reporting to spring training. "All the garbage in between was major league baseball. I didn't go back and forth. I said once I wasn't playing, and then at the end I said, 'So OK, I am playing.'"

Rodriguez wouldn't identify any officials he spoke with, opting to say only "central baseball."

"I told him I was disappointed with all the stuff going back and forth, the leaking of information," Rodriguez said, "especially with me not being involved in any way, shape or form."

Rodriguez downplayed comments made by Chicago White Sox manager Ozzie Guillen, who criticized A-Rod's WBC decision.

"I already heard what he had to say, he apologized," Rodriguez said. "The apology has been accepted. We've move on from there. Ozzie and I have always been friendly. It's not really that big of a deal."

Last spring, Rodriguez was criticized by several members of the Boston Red Sox.

"That will never end. Maybe when I retire it will stop," Rodriguez said. "I use it as a motivation."

The AL MVP told Yankees general manager Brian Cashman on Dec. 15 that he wouldn't play in the tournament but then said Jan. 18 he would be on the U.S. team. That followed a conference call with commissioner Bud Selig and players' association chief operating officer Gene Orza.

"The game of baseball has been my whole life," Rodriguez said. "It's given me everything I have. If I didn't think this was better for the game, the growth of the game, I wouldn't be playing. I felt that I owe this to the game. I've made the right decision. I'm very proud to be playing for the USA team. I plan to enjoy it."

Rodriguez is eligible to play for both nations because he was raised in the United States and his parents are Dominican.

"It was tough ... on me, to be honest with you," Rodriguez said. "I can remember in December sitting in my house, and my mom and my wife having a debate for two hours about it.

"Most people are not going to understand. They're going to ridicule me and make fun of it. Unless you understand my background and where I come from and the passion that my family and my heritage holds, I don't expect anyone to understand," he said.

Rodriguez was at Legends Field one day before the reporting day for position players. He worked out with fellow WBC participants Derek Jeter and Bernie Williams.

Williams is set to play for Puerto Rico in the WBC. The former starting center fielder could play all three outfield spots and DH on that squad, much like he could do during the regular season.

"It will probably be a more complicated role than an everyday player," Williams said.

Williams considered retirement before signing a one-year contract in December. He hasn't ruled out playing past this season.

"It was more whether or not I was going to retire or not as opposed to playing for another team," Williams said. "I didn't want to have any doubts. I really wanted to give myself a chance to retire as a Yankee."

Left-fielder Hideki Matsui took batting practice for the first time at the minor-league complex. Matsui decided not to play for Japan.

"An event like the baseball classic is very important for baseball," Matsui said through an interpreter. "This time of year is a very important time to prepare for the season. It was a very difficult decision for me, but I have no regrets."

Matsui is not sure what the long-term impact of his decision will be on his fans in Japan.

"If popularity goes down, then it goes down," Matsui said. "It can't be helped. It's beyond my control."

QUOTE(jackie hayes @ Feb 21, 2006 -> 12:08 AM)
Just pointing it out, I wasn't saying anything new.  It wasn't taken out of context at all.  The whole thing is above, for anyone who wants to read it.  Judge for yrselves.

No, you were trying to make it seem like it said something else. Here you are with your responses after you said you weren't going to respond anymore. Liar.