IU Coaching News

mreye

FWIW:

Heard today that Cuban has told IU administration that he will fund an $18 million dollar practice facility if Randy Wittman is the next head coach.

With Isiah talking up Wittman, as well as the fact that Knight apparently wants Wittman as well over Alford, this could get interesting.

I don't know much about Wittman, but my main questions are:

- Can he coach? He's never been a head coach except maybe one year in the NBA.

- Can he recruit? Although with an 18 million dollar facility and the IU name, I'm sure they could get a few assistants to get in there to help out Randy.

Next few weeks should get interesting.

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have 1 thing to say...LET THE BIDDING WAR BEGIN!!! Did they ever build that new general science building? Who wants to add that onto Cuban's offer to get their coach hired?!?!

And didn't Cuban say he'd never give IU another penny after the Napster thing? Flip-flopper!!!

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Mar 10, 2006 -> 08:19 PM)
I have 1 thing to say...LET THE BIDDING WAR BEGIN!!!  Did they ever build that new general science building?  Who wants to add that onto Cuban's offer to get their coach hired?!?!

And didn't Cuban say he'd never give IU another penny after the Napster thing?  Flip-flopper!!!

Interesting stuff Aboz.

It's real close to being finished. It'll be done in time for the fall, IIRC.

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Mar 11, 2006 -> 01:17 AM)
FWIW:

Heard today that Cuban has told IU administration that he will fund an $18 million dollar practice facility if Randy Wittman is the next head coach.

With Isiah talking up Wittman, as well as the fact that Knight apparently wants Wittman as well over Alford, this could get interesting.

I don't know much about Wittman, but my main questions are:

- Can he coach?  He's never been a head coach except maybe one year in the NBA.

- Can he recruit?  Although with an 18 million dollar facility and the IU name, I'm sure they could get a few assistants to get in there to help out Randy.

Next few weeks should get interesting.

Should get very interesting. I remember Wittman as a player and I know he is well respected in the NBA, but I have no clue how he would do in college. A lot may have to do with his personality. I mean really, who knew that Thad Matta would have been such a big-time recruiter unless they saw it in his personality and passion.

I have always felt, even so when Davis was hired, that Wittman should have been given a look. It can't hurt to sit down and have serious conversations with him. He could be a Charlie Weis type, in the sense that his experience is at a higher level, yet it could carry over well to the college game.

I like how Greenspan has gone about his business (quietly) so far, so I will keep an open mind now and after a coach is named.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Mar 10, 2006 -> 08:58 PM)
Even if it turns out to be Alford?

Rex has said he wouldn't totally be against Alford.

If Alford is the coach, I won't be too extatic, but I'll certainly support him. And I do believe, because of the circumstances, Alford could do a good job here, with his connections to the state, etc. However, I still feel we can do better.

My take on Alford is this....

I don't think he should be handed the job. But if Greenspan's search truly includes options from every angle (inside the family, outside it, college, NBA, etc) and he decides after talking with several individuals that Alford is the right candidate, then I will be behind him 100%.

I held the same position with Mike Davis when he got the job. If a search was done and Davis was deemed the best coach for the job at the time, I would have bought in. That didn't happen though. He got the job almost by default. I just don't want the same happening with Alford. Don't hand him the job because a part of the fan base wants him. Make sure he is the right job and many options are considered first.

Randy Wittman

Won basketball letters in 1980, 1981, 1982 and 1983...co-captain in 1983...played on three Big Ten championship teams and started on the 1981 NCAA Championship Team...played on Indiana's 1979 NIT Championship Team...Indiana and Big Ten Most Valuable Player in 1983...first team All-Big Ten in 1981, 1982 and 1983...Academic All-American in 1982 and 1983...ranked eighth on career scoring list, second on career assist list and third on career steals list at graduation...played in the NBA with Atlanta, Sacramento and Indiana...assistant NBA coach with Indiana, Dallas and Minnesota.

Take Matta off the list of guys I would want. Here's why:

Now that I've seen Matta versus Indiana 5 times now (IU has beaten him 3 times) I just don't see what is so great about him besides recruiting.

I was surprised to see (since I don't follow them at all) that Ohio State has all seniors as their key guys. Hell their two best players are 5th year guys. His offense was so similar to IU's, I don't see how he is a huge upgrade over MD except for recruiting. And it's still up in the air as to how he's getting those guys to go to a program like Ohio State.

As far as their offense goes, a lot of standing around and just jacking up three's. (do you see a pattern here?)

IU doesn't even play that great of D and they held them to 52. And this is a number 1 seeded team? Also beat them the other time they faced off in a game where DJ was hurt and played sparingly.

I think with DJ in the lineup the Big 10 would have been totally different this year.

If you look at Big 10 experience, Ohio State had so much more than IU yesterday and they narrowly escaped. Needless to say, I'm not impressed with Matta nor confident that he is the savior that Bob Kravitz says he is.

Get me Crean before you get this guy. He's proven in the Big 10 as far as recruiting goes and he's a master mind behind a national title team.

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/arti...RTS11/603130423

DJ's comes off his stance of leaving, regardless of what happens after the season now. Also, he closed the book on coming back this year, and I like the way he did it.

If the Hoosiers made a run to the Final Four in Indianapolis. If they got that far, would White suit up?

"We'll see when it comes,'' he said. "That would only be two games (that he'd have to play). And like I've said, if they can get there without me, they can win it without me. They've been doing great this year without me. I know I want to be there and they want me to be there, but there's a lot of factors.''

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Mar 13, 2006 -> 10:30 AM)
He'll be back in my view and with that, he'll be the best big man in the Big 10 next year.

CJ link on him being neutral:

http://www.courier-journal.com/apps/pbcs.d...PORTS/603130361

That would be excellent news...and if nothing else, it's a nice little present to offer an incoming coach.

He'd be absolutely insane if he leaves...but by threatening to leave, he probably at least will have a little bit of input into who the next coach will be, which is probably why he said so publically.

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Mar 13, 2006 -> 08:29 AM)
http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/arti...RTS11/603130423

DJ's comes off his stance of leaving, regardless of what happens after the season now.  Also, he closed the book on coming back this year, and I like the way he did it.

"We'll see when it comes" doesn't mean he closed the book.

Another thing I've talked with Zach about going into next year is that DJ is the KEY for IU having a real solid team going into next year.

Depth chart would look like this, considering RV leaves, which is up in the air. Since he and DJ are roommates and good friends, maybe we keep RV contingent on DJ staying and MD not getting a good enough job.

Anyhow without RV:

F - White

F- Allen

G - Ratliff

G - Wilmont

G - Calloway

Bench: - Cem (6-10 from Germany who's played sparingly this year but apparently doesn't like MD)

- Suhr

- Bassett

- Keeling

- Joey Shaw (if he stays)

Not bad, not bad at all. Of course it looks much better if RV stays.

QUOTE(IlliniKrush @ Mar 13, 2006 -> 01:39 PM)
"We'll see when it comes" doesn't mean he closed the book.

Did you read the article? It's all highly unlikely. First, Indiana would have to get that far in the tournament. And there's a couple things in the article I left out pretty much leaving no reason to consider it:

Injured Indiana University forward D.J. White said Sunday night he won't be playing in the NCAA Tournament. He said he's not in shape, and the Hoosiers are playing well without him. He also said that, from wearing the protective boot on his left foot for so long, one of his legs is bigger than the other.

White, who said he has put on about 25 pounds since breaking his left foot Jan. 7 against Ohio State, was asked what would happen if the Hoosiers made a run to the Final Four in Indianapolis. If they got that far, would White suit up?

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Mar 13, 2006 -> 06:35 PM)
That would be excellent news...and if nothing else, it's a nice little present to offer an incoming coach.

He'd be absolutely insane if he leaves...but by threatening to leave, he probably at least will have a little bit of input into who the next coach will be, which is probably why he said so publically.

DJ White will have zero input on who IU's next coach will be. Catering to the wishes of the players is what brought on this mess in the first place.

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/arti...S0601/603160452

Not really a coach I want, but Mark Few said something when asked if he would be interested in the IU job: "That's a great program, there's no question about that," Few said. "I try not to think about that kind of stuff. At the same, I would never say never, either."

And the article also mentions Ratliff and Allen will definitely be sticking around, though Davis is leaving. Good to hear.

QUOTE(Rex Hudler @ Mar 18, 2006 -> 11:17 AM)
Careful there aboz, I'm beginning to think you are switching your allegiance from the green and white to the crimson and cream. 

:D

I'm an IU alum, it's only fitting I've come around.

Now give me Izzo in Bloomington and my ties to MSU are gone.