IU Coaching News

mreye

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Rex Hudler @ Mar 19, 2006 -> 11:44 AM)
And the chances of that happening are????? 

lol

None, still going to be an IU fan though.

My days of dislike towards the program due to Knight are over.

IU is going to be a great program again very, very soon and I truly do believe that.

GO HOOSIERS

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Mar 19, 2006 -> 04:49 PM)
None, still going to be an IU fan though.

My days of dislike towards the program due to Knight are over.

IU is going to be a great program again very, very soon and I truly do believe that.

GO HOOSIERS

I agree. I am now interested in how the coaching search turns out. By the way, who is that in your sig?

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Mar 19, 2006 -> 12:23 PM)
That's Vaden in HS.

Yep or as I prefer to call it, Vaden as he will look next year when he's back in shape and becoming an All Big 10 player.

I have never seen anyone take more ill-advised shots than Robert Vaden. He certainly is a talented kid, but his basketball IQ is comparable to that of a pooper scooper.

Hopefully, when he does stay, he will mature and become a more knowledgable basketball player.

QUOTE(redandwhite @ Mar 19, 2006 -> 04:41 PM)
I have never seen anyone take more ill-advised shots than Robert Vaden.  He certainly is a talented kid, but his basketball IQ is comparable to that of a pooper scooper.

Hopefully, when he does stay, he will mature and become a more knowledgable basketball player.

He does have bad shot selection, but I do think he has a high basketball IQ. He is a smart kid who really knows the game. I don't know if you've seen IU play much or ever saw Vaden in HS, but he is definitely not a dumb player.

His basketball IQ will come out with better coaching. The problem with him these past few years is that he knows there will be no consequences, like coming out of the game, if he fires away. If Vaden gets hot, he can carry a team, like you saw during the barrage of three's he made last night.

His game definitely struggled this year due to lack of conditioning, which I also attribute to poor coaching. Once he loses some weight and is in tip top physical shape he will no doubt be an all big 10 player, most likely next year.

Edited by aboz56

Living in the Big Ten market, going to a game in Bloomington, watching the conference tournament, and the two games in the big dance was a decent amount of basketball to form a decently educated opinion of a certain player.

I'll take your word for it and hope that he does become the player you and I know he can be, afterall I am now a Hoosier.

QUOTE(Rex Hudler @ Mar 20, 2006 -> 12:05 AM)
aboz, hearing any Billy Gillispe rumors?

Nope, the hot name right now is the Wichita State coach but I've also heard his dream job is Kansas.

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Mar 20, 2006 -> 11:30 AM)
Nope, the hot name right now is the Wichita State coach but I've also heard his dream job is Kansas.

Which would make sense because he played there. My bet is it doesn't end up being one of the "hot names du jour"

Im not aboz but heres a Gillespie rumor from doyel on CBS sportsline.

Ready for a whopper?

Coaching scoop? I've got coaching scoop. Here's what I (and now you) are hearing:

Indiana: Brace yourself, because this is big. If it's true. Do I think it's true? Actually, I do think it's true (which rhymes). Without further adieu ... we're hearing that Hoosiers athletic director Rick Greenspan has had his interest piqued by Texas A&M coach Billy Gillispie. And you know something? It makes sense. Hiring Gillispie over Steve Alford wouldn't be the most politically savvy move Greenspan could make, but basketball-wise it would be brilliant. Alford would do fine at Indiana. Gillispie would contend for national championships at Indiana. It's as simple as that.

Doyel is a bonehead and doesn't have very many sources at all.

He probably got the Gillispie idea from Peegs.com.

That being said, here are the main candidates as listed on Peegs:

Guys that might be in the middle of the radar zone:

Tom Crean - Big Ten guy who has taken Marquette to Final Four and despite having a very young team has taken the Golden Eagles to a 20-win year and return to the NCAA's.

Randy Wittman - former NBA head coach who everyone in Bloomington seems to really like. Newspaper report that he would be on the short list and he has the backing of a lot of former IU players. May have already spoken some with Greenspan.

Steve Alford - had his Iowa team in the hunt this year for the conference crown. Believed to really want to return to his alma mater. Not as much pro-Alford speculation as there was in the first couple weeks the IU job came open and his Hawkeye team did not get that Big Ten title in what may be the best chance for some time.

Mike Montgomery - Golden State Warriors head coach had a tremendously successful career at Stanford and there is talk that he could be out at the end of the year in Golden State. Keith Smart is one of his assistants and Calbert Cheaney is one of his players.

Rick Majerus - proven head coach who is available and would likely be very interested. Will his health be an issue?

Karl Hobbs - has coached George Washington to 26-1 record this year and #6 national ranking. Should be mentioned with lots of jobs this spring.

Billy Gillispie - young guy doing a great job at Texas A&M, a tough place to coach. 20 wins this year and a probably berth in NCAA's. Before that job he turned around UTEP. Former Big Ten assistant under Bill Self at Illinois.

Brad Brownell - Evansville native who has coached UNC-Wilmington into the NCAA's for the second time in his tenure after winning the Colonial Athletic Association tourney this past weekend. He once worked with Jim Crews, the former Indiana player and coach who Greenspan hired at Army.

Mike Anderson - has brought consistent winning to UAB and a relentless full court pressing style. A Nolan Richardson disciple. Rumored to be leading candidate for open Missouri job. His Blazers just pulled off the big upset of Memphis.

Gregg Marshall - some have recently said he is turning Winthrop into the Gonzaga of the east coast. Once again he has taken the Eagles into the big dance and a regular season Big South title.

Mark Turgeon - yet another Missouri Valley coach who seems to be getting better. This year took Wichita State to the regular season Missouri Valley Championship in a year with a lot of loaded teams.

Edge of the radar zone:

Rick Pitino - believed to have been really interested in the IU job back in 2001 before Mike Davis got the permanent nob. Can't deny his college record but would he want to leave Louisville so soon and could IU afford him? This Sportsline column claims he may be interested again.

Jamie Dixon - younger coach doing a great this year with a Pitt team nobody expected much from. May only leave Pitt for a west coast position since that is where his roots go back to.

Bruce Pearl - new at Tennessee but did a terrific job there and has Indiana ties (coached at Southern Indiana). Only in first season there and IU may not be able to the match the $$ that he will soon sign on for down in Knoxville. Here are some recent comments by the coach on the IU possibility that cast some doubt on his interest.

Rick Barnes - has a power at Texas but may want to move where basketball is king.

John Calipari - been some speculation of his potential interest. Calipari has Memphis looking at a possible #1 seed in the NCAA's. Can't deny his ability to accumulate talent. Another guy who could be hired at Missouri.

Keith Smart - similar to Wittman, a Hoosier hero with NBA head coaching experience as well as his CBA stint in Fort Wayne. Now an assistant under Montgomery at Golden State.

Dana Altman - still fairly young and consistently has Creighton at the the top of the Missouri Valley even this year despite losing their best player early in the season. Left Kansas State on his own terms and his last year there was the best in recent history. May not want a high profile job with heavy recruiting pressures.

Kelvin Sampson - again has Oklahoma in the top 25 and the Sooners are surging, winning 10 of their last 12 games. Might be good timing for a move out of Norman and a better chance to win a national title.

Mark Few - has the Gonzaga machine clicking again this season. Has a great situation in Spokane but talk that an elite job could pique his interest.

Kevin Stallings - Vandy has had some great moments with Stallings. Coached at Illinois State when Rick Greenspan was there. Will Purdue background and rough finish to year hurt him?

Greg McDermott - has built an Missouri Valley power of late at Northern Iowa. Still pretty young. Family issues may keep him in Iowa.

Darrin Horn - his Western Kentucky team has really surged since mid-December, winning 15 of 17 and taking the Sun Belt conference title. His two leading scorers are both Hoosiers (Anthony Winchester, Courtney Lee). Assistant under Tom Crean at Marquette for four years before leaving three years ago to coach his alma mater. Surprising 25-point loss to South Alabama in Sun Belt tourney may keep his team out of the Big Dance.

John Beilein - has really built West Virginia up from the ashes but recent contract extension may put buyout into the multi-millions.

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Mar 20, 2006 -> 06:26 PM)
My question, as posed by ESPN's Doug Gottlieb:

If Alford is such a big name in the state of Indiana, a name capable of grabbing the state's top talents, how come he wasn't able to get those same recruits to Iowa?

My main question too.

His name doesn't mean as much in the state as it used to. He hasn't recruited Indiana well from what I've seen.

Nonetheless, it seems like at least one IU player wouldn't mind having him aboard...This same guy also thinks Alford could recruit the state:

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/arti...S0601/603200370

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Mar 20, 2006 -> 07:42 PM)
Nonetheless, it seems like at least one IU player wouldn't mind having him aboard...This same guy also thinks Alford could recruit the state:

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/arti...S0601/603200370

I hate that article; Alford's name is only in the headline because it sells papers. Ratliff dropped the names of the other top candidates, and said nothing negative about them either. I think there's only great detail about what he thinks about Alford, again because it's what sells the paper/article.

With that being said, I'm glad Ratliff's sticking around and I feel he can bounce back from the thumb injury on his shooting hand. However, the coaching hire should not cater to who the current players want. This should be a long-term decision, and players will only play for the coach a max of 4 years. Just get the best candidate, and my favorite candidate at the moment as I've said to a few people, is Mike Montgomery.

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Mar 20, 2006 -> 11:26 PM)
My question, as posed by ESPN's Doug Gottlieb:

If Alford is such a big name in the state of Indiana, a name capable of grabbing the state's top talents, how come he wasn't able to get those same recruits to Iowa?

That's pretty easy if you think about it. There is no comparison.

The concept is to get the right guy to bring the state together. To bring back pride in the program. To bring the program back to the elite. Doing that will make players want to play for Indiana University, not for said coach. the right coach can make that happen and it involves much more than just a dynamic guy fast talking high school kids.

It's all about getting back to where these kids dream of playing for IU, not a specific coach. THAT is what people think Alford can do at Indiana. That is not something he could do with Indiana kids at Iowa.

Whether he can handle the total program the way it needs to be, I am not sure. But I do think his name (and his dad's amongst HS coaches) would hold a great deal of weight in the state. It won't be a matter of him immediately getting the best kids from day one, it will be a matter of him getting the right ones to help take the program where it needs to go. Then he can almost have his choice of in-state talent, but that won't happen overnight.

Remember, Bob Knight didn't win with JUST Indiana kids. He also recruited Illinois and Ohio extremely well.

Whether Alford is the right guy or not is a totally different discussion. But the answer to your question is pretty simple. It's like comparing apples to oranges.

That's a pretty old list aboz. I do like the fact that Brad Brownell was listed, although I think there is zero chance he is actually on the radar. Great guy and hopefully he will be ready for a big-time job soon, but the time is not right for him and IU right now.

I am totally guessing, but I think you might to start to hear more about John Calipari in the coming week or two. I don't know a lot of detail about him personally, but he has definitely won.

My guess is the list gets narrowed (although we will never see it in print to prove me right or wrong) to Alford, Wittman, Crean, Montgomery, and a surprise candidate or two. I would categorize Few, Gillispe, Turgeon, etc. in that surprise category.