IU Coaching News

mreye

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Jimbo's Drinker @ Mar 22, 2006 -> 02:22 AM)
My guys tell me Gillespie is the man, he is awesome.

Montgomery's my favorite still, but that doesn't seem likely. I'd be very happy with Billy Gillispie though. He'd be great for all the same reasons I mentioned Rick Barnes could/should be a candidate in the first pages of this thread.

QUOTE(knightni @ Mar 22, 2006 -> 02:07 AM)
Majerus would be cool.

He did well at Ball State and Utah.

I like the guy a lot, and I'd love to see him make Robert Vahhden play ohhfense down in the pohhst. However, he's too much of a health risk. He really hasn't done much to improve that since he left Utah, and Indiana's looking for a coach that can stay long-term.

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Mar 22, 2006 -> 01:26 PM)
I like the guy a lot, and I'd love to see him make Robert Vahhden play ohhfense down in the pohhst.  However, he's too much of a health risk.  He really hasn't done much to improve that since he left Utah, and Indiana's looking for a coach that can stay long-term.

Think of how big Vaden could get with Majerus leading the training table. Ha ha

I think they will bring in Wittman and either Crean or Gillispe. But I still think that Calipari could be a dark horse to emerge over the next two weeks. My favorite of the above 3 would be Crean or Wittman over Gillispe.

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Mar 22, 2006 -> 09:48 PM)
And now the Fox station in Indy had an exclusive saying that IU was talking money and contract length with Mark Few.  :mellow:

I wouldn't understand that. Few is a poor defensive coach and has no midwest ties, a double red flag for a high calibur Big Ten school like Indiana.

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Mar 22, 2006 -> 09:48 PM)
And now the Fox station in Indy had an exclusive saying that IU was talking money and contract length with Mark Few.  :mellow:

How can that be possible? Gonzaga is still playing. That would have to involve some serious tampering issues.

Which is why I wouldn't give it much validity...

In theory, they could be talking to his representatives without having any direct contact with Coach Few and that would be legal. I don't think that is the case, but you never know.

Beilein the favorite?

From today's Boston Globe:

According to a Big East source, John Beilein has emerged as the leading candidate to replace the departed Mike Davis at Indiana.

http://www.boston.com/sports/colleges/mens...k_at_pc/?page=2

I must say that I do like Beilein a lot. He is a class guy, but I don't know if he can adjust his style accordingly for the Big 10. That said, the guy took West Virginia to the Elite 8 and the Sweet 16 in back to back years so he obviously knows what he is doing. It would also make sense from the standpoint that Pittsnogle, Gansey, Herber and his own son Patrick will be gone from the program and the roster will be scarce there next year.

Right now I would put him as someone I would embrace, but he's not my first choice.

Lotsa rumors flying....... who the hell knows what's going on. Here is a pretty good piece from Terry Hutchens blog on that very thing....

March 24, 2006

"I've got a guy in Assembly Hall who says...

Posted by Terry Hutchens

that your guy in Assembly Hall doesn't know what he's talking about.''

This is the problem with unnamed sources. It seems like everybody has their source and now it's just a matter of who has the better sources. Personally, I think with Rick Greenspan as the ultimate source, there is very little that is getting leaked on IU's coaching search. That's just not the way he does business. Greenspan prides himself on doing things the right way. And so he keeps the real story close and there are very few people he trusts to know what he's thinking. And he's convinced that those people are not going to be someone's "source close to Assembly Hall."

Someone made the point to me in the last few days asking how come all the dot.com's and TV stations seem to be breaking daily news on the IU coaching story, while I'm left in the dust. Well, while no one wants to have this story first more than me, more than anything I want to have this story right. And getting the story right means trusting your sources and making sure you get it right.

Let me tell you a story on that front. Early this week, I had an email from a good source on past stories who told me there were two people who were "finalists" for the IU job. This person said that he was absolutely sure that one of the two would be the next IU coach. Absolutely sure, he said a second time.

About 30 minutes later, I got an email from another source who I have come to trust over the years. He gave me two names using the "absolutely sure" context as well -- and they were two completely different names.

Then within the past 24 hours, I have heard another name over and over and over. And, you guessed it -- his is a different name from the other four.

And so you get to the point of wondering what to believe. The story I tell on that front goes back to my first year on the IU beat. It was the 1998-99 season, and IU's NCAA Tournament run had come to an end in the second round in Orlando with a 25-point loss to St. John's. In the hallway outside the locker rooms, I got Luke Recker alone and asked him about the ongoing speculation that he was going to transfer. He looked me right in the eye and said there was no truth to any of that. He said he loved IU and was happy he had made that decision to come there and flat out, he wasn't going anywhere. I wrote about it in my postgame notebook the next day. Several days later, I got an email from a guy saying that he was friend of Recker's and that Recker was going to transfer. I opted not to believe it, and of course, as we all found out together, Recker did indeed decide to transfer.

So it's far from an exact science.

The last story I want to relate is the one that happened this week in Minneapolis. The Minneapolis Star-Tribune had the story in Wednesday's paper that Minnesota coach Dan Monson was done. The paper reported that "Monson was not expected to return next season" and attributed that to people outside the university with knowledge of the situation.

Thursday, Minnesota athletic director Joel Maturi stood alongside his coach at a press conference and announced that contrary to published reports, Monson was staying.

The following quote from Minneapolis Star-Tribune managing editor Scott Gillespie was included in Thursday's story that revealed that Monson was indeed staying.

"We had what we felt was very solid information that Dan Monson was not expected to return to coach the basketball team next season," Gillespie said. "We talked to many people with knowledge of Monson's situation, including Joel Maturi. We did not take lightly our decision to publish. Today the university made clear that it is sticking by the coach."

In this case, the Star-Tribune felt like it had rock solid sources. And who knows, maybe they had it right and someone just changed their mind. And so it goes with unnamed sources. All I'm saying is you have to be very, very careful with the information you present to be the truth.

Beilein's name was one of the names murmured at the very beginning of this a month and a half ago. Interesting to see his name reappear closer to the hiring. From what I understand, IU's hoping to make the hire next weekend in Indy during the FF festivities for maximum exposure, etc. Greenspan's a vault though, which I love; so no one really has a clue how far he is into the process or who's a leading candidate but him.

With Alford seemingly out of the picture, the only mistake I think the Hoosiers could make is hiring Few. His teams have a history of getting caught with their hands on their throat in the tournament (remember, the elite 8 run in 1999 was with Monson as coach), his teams play s*** defense, and he has no midwest ties. That sounds like impending disaster to me.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Mar 28, 2006 -> 11:36 AM)
There's a rumor floating around that Calipari will be announced shortly.  TIFWIW.

I wouldn't be mad if that were the case, but that'd be odd considering the quotes I read yesterday:

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/arti.../603280421/1069

Another name that was making the rounds Monday was Memphis coach John Calipari. A published report claimed he was in contract negotiations and had emerged as IU's leading candidate to replace Mike Davis, who resigned last month after six seasons.

Memphis athletic director R.C. Johnson said Monday that wasn't the case.

"I talked to (Calipari) this morning. That's not true,'' Johnson told the Commerical Appeal in Memphis.

Johnson said he had not been contacted by anyone connected to IU.

Calipari has four years remaining on his contract that pays him $1.5 million per season. Johnson was asked if he would consider bumping Calipari's salary or extending the deal.

"He had a great year and we always want to recognize that,'' Johnson said. "Obviously, I will do anything I can to keep him and his staff.''