Wow, just wow...

Steve9347

So, I'm sitting here, thinking about how wonderful last season was (and remembering the near collapse that had almost everyone at this site suicidal) and I can't help but be mystified by the possibilities THIS season holds.

It has been about ten years since any team repeated World Series Championships, but I crave it almost more this year than last year, because I know how good this can be. I remember watching game 3 of the ALDS last year (we'll refer to this as Game Duque) and watching the Boston fans in the stands, thinking "what the hell do they care? they won this thing last year!"

Lowe and behold, I now understand. This White Sox team is stacked this year (only question mark centerfield/health.) We added Javier Vazquez to the rotation as our 5th starter! In his WORST season, he is the best 5th starter in all of baseball, and in the history of the White Sox. Does anyone remember John Rauch, Josh Stewart, and Scott Schoeneweis (sp?) on the 2003 team? That seems like so long ago, but it was only 2.5 years!

Anyway, we've also added Thome, and I am extremely pumped about this season. I will stop my gushing rant, and I look forward to DVRing every Sox spring training game... I love this team, and rock on.

-Let's go Sox.

Edited by Steve9347

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Feb 16, 2006 -> 12:11 PM)
Im not saying thats how you feel Balta, but I want to win again this year, bad. We all experienced what a ride it was in 05, and I want it again.

That's exactly my point... I want this BAAAD! Hoping they kick some ass...

Nothing will ever come close to the terrific thrill we all had last year.

The main difference between this year and last year is that we are no longer a dark horse. I for one did not expect to win the World Series in 2005, last year was definatly the best year of my life, but this year we are not under the radar. We are the team to beat when Opening Day comes around.

Basically the expectations are higher this year because we expect to win now. I expect to go to the playoffs, I expect to win the ALCS, and I expect to win the World Series again. Anything less will be a disappointment.

CWSOX45

Edited by CWSOX45

QUOTE(Rex Kickass @ Feb 16, 2006 -> 11:33 AM)
I can't wait to get tickets to see my world champion white sox play in baltimore this year. and hopefully new york and boston. I want to see at least three sox games this year - even if I don't make it back to Chicago before Christmas.

Rex, tickets are already on sale in all three of those cities, did you know that?

You don't HAVE to wait!!! Get them NOW!!!

Boston only has standing room for the Tuesday and Wednesday games against the Sox in September.

QUOTE(GreatScott82 @ Feb 16, 2006 -> 01:14 PM)
I think the first one was pure relief. If we win a 2nd one it would be sweeter. And once you FINALLY get a taste of it you become addicted to winning it all over again. (See Michael Jordan's Bulls of '92,'93,'96,'97 and '98)

You forgot one: '91.

But, I know what Balta is saying...if the White Sox win it all again this year, it's just going to stick it in the faces of all the guys who dislike or thought the Sox got lucky last year, but if they don't win it all...hey, we got one in my lifetime and that's GREAT!!! I'm happy either way.

Or course I want the success to continue...but I'm not on edge like at the beginning of the other 34 years of my life when Spring Training comes.

I want a repeat and I'm looking forward to a very solid season.

That said, I won't be bitter or disappointed if we don't repeat. I think this year I'll be able to sit back and enjoy it more (assuming the entire bottom doesn't inexplicably fall out from underneath the team). Last year was thrilling and nerve-racking. I don't think I'll be as "stressed" this year as last, even in the midst of the playoffs.

QUOTE(knightni @ Feb 16, 2006 -> 10:50 AM)
They will regret not trading Contreras when he had the most value.

Mark me down as a Count skeptic.

Somehow, I just have this feeling that the offers just weren't there. Yeah he had a great 2nd half last year, but how much are you willing to mortgage your future for a guy with 1 great 2nd half behind him that's a FA that you might not be able to keep beyond this year?

I just don't think I was thrilled with any of the offers I saw rumored.

If the Sox win the World Series again, they will own this town into '07 and beyond.

And in terms of expectations for '06, I can say without question that I have none. That World Series triumph was really enough to placate me for the rest of my life. If they stumble out of the gate or if they lose in the playoffs, I don't think it'll hurt as much as it did in prior yrs since they finally won a World Series, ya know?

That's probably my main worry right now. If we keep him, I hope he pitches like he did on the entire season last year (3.61 ERA, 1.23 WHIP). I'm not expecting his second half numbers (2.96 ERA, 1.14 WHIP).

Wow, the Indians finally got bumped after spending the entire offseason on top (released right after we won the world series.)

This is a huge victory for the White Sox.... just kidding.

However, it feels f***ing weird to look at the pre season power rankings and see my chicago white sox on top.

QUOTE(Adam G @ Feb 16, 2006 -> 11:34 AM)
Did I read this correctly?

If you have to question it, then no, I think it makes perfect sense. If he had his worst season of his career...out of every person who is considered a "5th starter", he'd be by the best of them.

In other words, no matter what he does, he's the best 5th starter in baseball on paper.

QUOTE(knightni @ Feb 16, 2006 -> 12:50 PM)

Count will be the best pitcher on the team this year. Mark me down for that.

Anyways, I want to win this again bad. The only difference is we actually know how it feels which will make it hurt even worse if we don't do it again.

I spent last season waiting for the let down that comes every year. When I got really excited in August I had to run numbers to keep myself into thinking we were ok through the end of September. I thought the Red Sox would win the last three, and then the Angels. When the World Series came around I thought Oswalt and Clemens would beat us and Petitte never loses in the playoffs.

Then poof, World Champs. After going 16-1 in their last 17 games it wasn't until the final out did I Beleive It!

This year if I have faith and they fail but win 92 games, what the hell.

For the first time in my life I get "Sit back, Relax and" simply enjoy the great game of ball.

That and a $95M payroll is what I will enjoy.

Um, yeah.  Do you have a point??

Well, in Vazquez's worst season (4.91 ERA with Yankees in 2004) he wasn't the best 5th starter in baseball and wouldn't be if he repeats that performance. But I don't expect him to be that bad again so I think I would agree with you.

Anyways, I want to win this again bad.  The only difference is we actually know how it feels which will make it hurt even worse if we don't do it again.

I don't believe that. Failing last year would have been worse than anything. You can't expect to win the World Series every year. The postseason is mostly about how one team gets hot and wins the whole thing.

Edited by SSH2005

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Feb 16, 2006 -> 03:37 PM)
I don't believe that.  Failing last year would have been worse than anything.  You can't expect to win the World Series every year.  The postseason is mostly about how one team gets hot and wins the whole thing.

Absolutely. I want it bad, and knowing what it feels like, I want it more. But I would not be crushed and it would ruin nothing if they didnt do it. 2005 will forever be etched in my memory.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Feb 16, 2006 -> 11:04 AM)
I think it's going to be a great season to watch, but I do have to admit, I just can't say I feel as desperate to win one as I did last year..

The bar is certainly set a lot higher this time around. The hunger isin't quite what it was last season but theres no doubt that a repeat would be twice the fun.