Thome reports to camp early, raring to go

SSH2005

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseb...ack=1&cset=true

Thome has foot in the door

New Sox slugger reports early, raring to go

By Mark Gonzales

Tribune staff reporter

Published February 16, 2006, 11:20 PM CST

TUCSON, Ariz. -- The hands were raised high, the swing was smooth and the crack of the bat was distinct.

Those were the pleasant signs Thursday that Jim Thome is on track to help the White Sox, two days before their first official workout at the Kino Sports Complex.

After being limited to 59 games with the Phillies last season because of right elbow surgery, Thome looked ready while performing a series of detailed exercises under the supervision of Allen Thomas, the Sox's director of conditioning, and trainer Herm Schneider.

"I've always been an early guy to spring training," Thome said after an individual workout that lasted longer than 2½ hours. "I'm looking forward to this opportunity. It's great."

Spring training represents a homecoming and challenge to Thome. He returned to Tucson for the first time since 1992 when he tried to land a permanent roster spot with the Indians, who moved their spring training operations to Winter Haven, Fla., in 1993.

Fourteen years and nine seasons of 30-plus home runs later, Thome is trying to regain the form that made him one of the most formidable sluggers as recently as two years ago, when he slugged 47 home runs and drove in a career-high 131 runs with the Phillies.

"You have to understand your body," said Thome, who hasn't played in a game since June 30. "I'm at the age (35) where I've played the game a long time and know what it takes to pace yourself in spring training and get ready. But I've never had an injury like the one I had and also understand that. You have to pace yourself and do what you're told in a lot of ways."

After some routine stretching exercises under warm conditions, Thome swung his arms back and forth to enhance his range of motion. Then he got into a stance similar to a sprinter in a starting block. At one point, Thomas corrected the angle of Thome's bent leg, which was important because Thome has been nagged by back problems that have necessitated a lengthy routine of stretching exercises.

"That's part of my daily routine," Thome said. "I've done that for years. As far as my stretching and being a bigger guy, I have to stay on top of that."

The 6-foot-4-inch, 245-pound Thome appeared fit as he progressed through his routine.

"[My elbow] has been coming along good," said Thome, the only position player for whom the Sox sought permission to report with the pitchers and catchers because of injury. "Herm has done a terrific job. I've spent a lot of the winter in Chicago. I've gone back and forth to Cleveland (his off-season residence) and Peoria (his hometown). It has been the circuit for me. I have tried to work very hard from Day One since I've had the surgery, so it's great."

Thome then stepped into the covered batting cage and started hitting balls that were flipped to him by Thomas for about 30 minutes, with Thome taking a break to pick up balls or talk briefly to Schneider or right fielder Jermaine Dye, who made a brief visit.

Thomas sometimes would flip balls that were low and outside, and then high and inside. Thome showed no signs of favoring his elbow as he displayed a fluid swing.

Although Thome is expected to face live pitching this weekend, he already has hit off batting practice pitchers at U.S. Cellular Field without any discomfort.

"You can't simulate a game situation, but you can come close," Thome said. "I've been feeling good. I really have. I feel nothing [in the elbow]."

Thome's other adjustment will occur when Cactus League play starts March 1. For the first time in his career, Thome will become a full-time designated hitter. Manager Ozzie Guillen's initial plan is to give Paul Konerko an occasional rest by having Thome play first base twice a week.

"I'm learning my role," Thome said. "We all have roles to play. … The main thing is to stay healthy. You can achieve all the individual things you want, but the ultimate is that team goal to win the World Series. If you're healthy, all you have to do is play the game."

Thome began his career as a third baseman but moved to first in 1997 after the Indians acquired Matt Williams. Thome was a designated hitter for 48 games in 2000 with Cleveland but has spent most of his career at first.

But Thome quickly has grown accustomed to the changes on and off the field.

"It has been a long time," Thome said since his last visit to Tucson. "I don't really remember it. That's how long it has been. There were no houses on the hills."

QUOTE(watchtower41 @ Feb 17, 2006 -> 11:46 AM)
Since were on the subject of reporting early, I saw Pods at the Auto Show last night and he mentioned that he was heading to Tuscon right after he was done signing.  My buddy asked him what he thinks about over 65 sb this season, Pods reply... "Bet on it."

PODS is god. :notworthy

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Feb 17, 2006 -> 11:45 AM)
how awesome are those opposite field blasts?

He just seems like he sprays that ball everywhere. That'll be pretty darn useful at the Cell since the winds shift around every now and then. Last time he played there was before the renovations right?