Great quotes from Cooper in the CST today

YASNY

A lot of those guys were [in Washington] to meet the president, and all I had to do was take a look around,'' said Cooper, the White Sox' pitching coach. "I looked into the eyes of Mark Buehrle, looked into the eyes of Jon Garland.

"I remember thinking, 'You know what? We've got the belt. We're the champs. Now we're defending that belt.' Looking into their eyes, I think we're going to be real son-of-a-b****es and not let anyone take it from us.''

That will be the message Cooper plans to relay to his staff this afternoon, when pitchers and catchers are expected to report to camp at Tucson Electric Park.

While Cooper has spent the offseason keeping in contact with as many of his pitchers as he could, this will be the first time the entire unit is together again since bringing the first World Series title to the South Side in 88 years.

"What we did last season was special,'' Cooper said. "The No. 1 thing I want these guys to know is that we don't have to do anything more than what we did, but we certainly can't do any less. Work ethic, aggressiveness, toughness and execution -- that's what did it for us. They went out there whenever we put the ball in their hands and were aggressive.

"Everyone did what they were capable of. We had a lot of opportunities last year and into the playoffs, and we talked about controlling the moment and taking advantage of those opportunities. That hasn't changed. If we take that similar approach, starting in camp, then we not only have a chance to defend our title, but we have a chance at greatness.''

It's quite amazing at this point 1 year ago, a lot of White Sox fans had mixed feelings on Don Cooper. Some thought he wasn't the man to take this pitching staff to the next level and bring out the best in the likes of Jose Contreras.

And now how times have changed. One of the priorities for this season should be getting Don Cooper locked up to a extension (since IIRC, he's only under contract for this season only).

QUOTE(The Critic @ Feb 17, 2006 -> 08:13 AM)
I like him because:

He seems to have the respect and attention of his pitchers

He is the pitching coach of the 2005 World Series Champions

and

He sounds like he should be in GoodFellas

:D  :headbang

No doubt....the pitchers love Coop and with the way he talks, you'd swear he's got a cheap cousin that was mysteriously deposited in the East River.

Coop's great. He does sounds like he should be in the Sopranos or GoodFellas. I love him on the pre-game show with Ed Farmer.

Let's hope he work his magic with Vazquez and bring him back to the form he had when he was with Montreal.