Baines/Raines Flipflop

Al Lopez's Ghost

i know harold said he wanted to be more involved than just the bench coach. If i remember correctly they were talking about making him the OF coach or something as well. ill bet this has to due with bainsey wanting to have a more active role on the team

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Feb 17, 2006 -> 12:40 PM)
Rock

.330 average, .429 OBP, and 50 SB's?

Baines never had that kind of a season. TOTALLY different players, but give me Rock.

Think more like 70 sb's and 123 runs.

But yes, different players. Baines could give you .309 .361 25 hrs and 100 RBIS

Edited by RockRaines

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Feb 17, 2006 -> 10:41 AM)
Think more like 70 sb's and 123 runs.

But yes, different players.  Baines could give you .309 .361 25 hrs and 100 RBIS

The question is, what do I need on my team? If I have Frank Thomas already hitting 3rd, but no one hitting in front of him, maybe I take Rock, because it'll make my team a lot better. But if I have Pods leading off and a Konerko to hit 3rd but no other big bats, maybe I take Baines to give PK some protection and drive in more runs.

QUOTE(White Sox Josh @ Feb 17, 2006 -> 12:57 PM)
I really hope this article is a bunch of crap or a misunderstanding.  This is not a good move.

Don't overreact about it. It's not going to be the difference between losing and winning a championship. Raines may have been a benefit at first base, but then again, anyone whose a good basestealer knew the art well before talking with Raines.

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Feb 17, 2006 -> 12:59 PM)
why is that Josh.  Any real reason besides you dont like it?

Because Rock Raines is in the top ten in stolen bases in the history of the game. I thought he had a big impact with the sox being one of the best base stealing teams in the league. Sure you can talk about Pods but it happened with other guys to. Jermaine Dye had 11 stolen bases. People in Oakland were comparing him to Konerko in terms of speed. Plus I think Baines is a pretty good Bench Coach. So there is your f***ing reason.

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Feb 17, 2006 -> 01:04 PM)
Don't overreact about it. It's not going to be the difference between losing and winning a championship. Raines may have been a benefit at first base, but then again, anyone whose a good basestealer knew the art well before talking with Raines.

he was more than a benefit. Plus we will miss him trying to beat out the throw at 1B.

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Feb 17, 2006 -> 02:04 PM)

I agree, but I'm curious to hear the reasoning behind it from Ozzie.

QUOTE(White Sox Josh @ Feb 17, 2006 -> 01:06 PM)
he was more than a benefit.  Plus we will miss him trying to beat out the throw at 1B.

Tell me how many stolen bases you can contribute ot him at first, and then, guess how many less Baines will provide.

It's not a big issue. Why don't you think about the benefit of having Raines in the dugout, opposed to the walking corpse in Baines? Haven't talked about that angle yet.

Edited by Flash Tizzle

LOL. So much for Pods stealing bases. How is he going to get a good jump without Rock over there to tell him exactly what to do.

Cmon guys. This is a non move. The 1st base coach has no impact what goes on at first. He can't talk to the players. All he does is flash signs and hi-five guys when they hit a HR.

I love how people can jump all over a move before even hearing the justification of it from the manager. How about instead of freaking out about moving coaches around you wait until Ozzie comes out and says why he did it. Damn, some people are just looking for any opportunity to b****.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Feb 17, 2006 -> 12:51 PM)
The question is, what do I need on my team?  If I have Frank Thomas already hitting 3rd, but no one hitting in front of him, maybe I take Rock, because it'll make my team a lot better.  But if I have Pods leading off and a Konerko to hit 3rd but no other big bats, maybe I take Baines to give PK some protection and drive in more runs.

Im saying overall, teams and lineups being a non-factor.

Heres a question, would you rather have Harold Baines in his prime, or Rock Raines in his prime?

Raines. One of the best leadoff men of all time and the most successful basestealer in MLB history. That's why this move doesn't make much sense.

LOL. So much for Pods stealing bases. How is he going to get a good jump without Rock over there to tell him exactly what to do.

Cmon guys. This is a non move. The 1st base coach has no impact what goes on at first. He can't talk to the players. All he does is flash signs and hi-five guys when they hit a HR.

Not quite. The first base coach times a pitcher's delivery with a stop-watch to help the baserunner know when to go.

Edited by SSH2005

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Feb 17, 2006 -> 01:30 PM)
Not quite.  The first base coach times a pitcher's delivery with a stop-watch to help the baserunner know when to go.

I know that. I didn't realize, however, that Rock was better than Harold with the stopwatch. If I would have known that fact I would have been pissed off too.

STUPID OZZIE. ROCK IS DAMN GOOD WITH THAT STOPWATCH. How will Harold ever manage over there?

:lolhitting

Jerry Manuel was a freaking first base coach for goodness sakes. I love this thread.

I know that. I didn't realize, however, that Rock was better than Harold with the stopwatch. If I would have known that fact I would have been pissed off too.

STUPID OZZIE. ROCK IS DAMN GOOD WITH THAT STOPWATCH. How will Harold ever manage over there?

:lolhitting

Jerry Manuel was a freaking first base coach for goodness sakes. I love this thread.

I didn't know that you knew that because you never mentioned it in your post. And I never inferred that Harold couldn't use a stopwatch so take it easy with the CAPS. There's probably some reason behind this that Ozzie hasn't stated yet.

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Feb 17, 2006 -> 01:37 PM)
I didn't know that you knew that because you never mentioned it in your post.  And I never inferred that Harold couldn't use a stopwatch so take it easy with the CAPS.  There's probably some reason behind this that Ozzie hasn't stated yet.

I hope he said he did it just for the hell of it. No reason whatsoever.

Edited by jphat007

this really isn't a big deal. Pods has a green light to steal whenever he so chooses, and any signs will come from the bench. as long as Baines manages not to fall asleep on his feet so he can yell "BACK!" on pick-off attempts, the only difference we'll notice will be watching Raines run to first to beat out the throw before every inning (which I enjoyed, by the way).

QUOTE(AirScott @ Feb 17, 2006 -> 02:46 PM)
this really isn't a big deal.  Pods has a green light to steal whenever he so chooses, and any signs will come from the bench.  as long as Baines manages not to fall asleep on his feet so he can yell "BACK!" on pick-off attempts, the only difference we'll notice will be watching Raines run to first to beat out the throw before every inning (which I enjoyed, by the way).

this move is sooo stupid...its the first day of spring training and we already blew the season