Bolton Starts Talks on Replacing Annan

KipWellsFan

QUOTE(EvilMonkey @ Feb 18, 2006 -> 11:44 PM)
Kofi must be feelin' the heat and is trying to stockpile some cash away for the day he is done.

http://www.weeklystandard.com/Content/Publ...06/781gawip.asp

I love this part.

Annan accepted the Dubai prize on the heels of setting up an ethics office within the U.N. Secretariat just last month. He has recently issued guidelines requiring staff to report any gifts of more than $250, down from previous guidelines that smiled on the acceptance of doo-dads worth up to $10,000. Staff rules do not apply to the secretary-general himself, who is presumed to operate as an exemplary civil servant. But one wonders what U.N. employees will make of their boss's big purse.

Gotta love a guy who makes up rules then exempts himself from them.

QUOTE(EvilMonkey @ Feb 18, 2006 -> 11:44 PM)
Kofi must be feelin' the heat and is trying to stockpile some cash away for the day he is done.

http://www.weeklystandard.com/Content/Publ...06/781gawip.asp

More interesting at that link is the gleaming review of Nuke's fave Nicolas Sarkozy.

http://www.weeklystandard.com/Content/Publ...06/778lwvxf.asp

Edited by KipWellsFan

that corrupt SOB needs to be tried for his involvement in oil-for-food with saddam, as well as his son. the UN isnt going to do anything with that bastard at the helm. hes just an obstructionist at this point.

is anyone still going to say that bolton's not the man for the job as UN ambassador to the UN? i love that hes shaking things up and telling it like it is.

QUOTE(samclemens @ Feb 19, 2006 -> 09:09 AM)
that corrupt SOB needs to be tried for his involvement in oil-for-food with saddam, as well as his son. the UN isnt going to do anything with that bastard at the helm. hes just an obstructionist at this point.

is anyone still going to say that bolton's not the man for the job as UN ambassador to the UN? i love that hes shaking things up and telling it like it is.

Except that the US knew a lot about it (especially the links to Turkey etc.) and did nothing about it...of course, until it became politically expedient to do something.

http://www.cnn.com/2005/WORLD/meast/02/02/iraq.oil.smuggle/

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/4554507.stm

I'm not saying that Kofi isn't a bastard -- but it is difficult for the US to play the "justifiably outraged" person on the international stage when it knew about the damn thing the whole time.

QUOTE(samclemens @ Feb 19, 2006 -> 10:31 AM)
...and your reasons are??

Because his methods are outmoded and unsuited for the United Nations. He brings a distinctly cold war mentality to a non-cold war situation. If this was still 1983 - where the world was consistently being judged in a Soviet/US polarity, you might argue that John Bolton could have been the right person for the job. But in my opinion, he's a contrarian and offers little in the way of positive leadership in the U.N.

QUOTE(LowerCaseRepublican @ Feb 19, 2006 -> 04:45 PM)
Except that the US knew a lot about it (especially the links to Turkey etc.) and did nothing about it...of course, until it became politically expedient to do something.

I'm not saying that Kofi isn't a bastard -- but it is difficult for the US to play the "justifiably outraged" person on the international stage when it knew about the damn thing the whole time.

Can't you just accept the fact that Kofi is a bastard and should be gone? It doesn't f***ing mater who knew what, HE IS A CORRUPT BASTARD! Kofi should be booted out now. I don't care if the whole damn world knew about it and just now decided to do something about it. So because America knew about some of it, that makes Kofi not-so-bad? Does that mean he should maybe be censured only? Your arguements usually make logical sense, but everytime some corrupt bastard shows up that conservative rail against, it's always "well, we knew about it", or "Republicans did it too", or something else to try and mitigate it to seem less serious than it is. Kofi is a s*** and kofi should be gone.

QUOTE(EvilMonkey @ Feb 19, 2006 -> 12:25 PM)
Can't you just accept the fact that Kofi is a bastard and should be gone?  It doesn't f***ing mater who knew what, HE IS A CORRUPT BASTARD!  Kofi should be booted out now.  I don't care if the whole damn world knew about it and just now decided to do something about it.  So because America knew about some of it, that makes Kofi not-so-bad?  Does that mean he should maybe be censured only?  Your arguements usually make logical sense, but everytime some corrupt bastard shows up that conservative rail against, it's always "well, we knew about it", or "Republicans did it too", or something else to try and mitigate it to seem less serious than it is.  Kofi is a s*** and kofi should be gone.

I'm saying that Kofi is indeed a bastard. However, I'm not so sure the US should be the one leading that charge because they knew of the scandal and did nothing when it was going on. Rooting out the corruption takes an entity who didn't have their thumb in the pie to be successful.

QUOTE(LowerCaseRepublican @ Feb 19, 2006 -> 02:32 PM)
I'm saying that Kofi is indeed a bastard.  However, I'm not so sure the US should be the one leading that charge because they knew of the scandal and did nothing when it was going on.  Rooting out the corruption takes an entity who didn't have their thumb in the pie to be successful.

wow...another complaint without any kind of solution offered.

you say the US should not be the one screaming for the rooting out of corruption in the UN? why not, considering we pay for over half of the s***e resolutions they pass through their worthless assembly? if not us, then who? just because we "knew" about some corrupt s*** or part of some corrupt s*** doesnt mean that kofi annon should stay in power at the UN.

do you have anything even remotely constructive to say about the issue at all? or you just hate the president, and the president appointed bolton, so you have to hate bolton. i got it.

QUOTE(LowerCaseRepublican @ Feb 19, 2006 -> 12:32 PM)
I'm saying that Kofi is indeed a bastard.  However, I'm not so sure the US should be the one leading that charge because they knew of the scandal and did nothing when it was going on.  Rooting out the corruption takes an entity who didn't have their thumb in the pie to be successful.

Who's your nominee? France? Russia? China?

Oh, wait, you're 3 favorite anti-war nations were all selling Saddam weapons in direct violation of the arms embargo.

Since we pay all the bills over there we should do the house cleaning.

QUOTE(samclemens @ Feb 19, 2006 -> 12:54 PM)
wow...another complaint without any kind of solution offered.

you say the US should not be the one screaming for the rooting out of corruption in the UN? why not, considering we pay for over half of the s***e resolutions they pass through their worthless assembly? if not us, then who? just because we "knew" about some corrupt s*** or part of some corrupt s*** doesnt mean that kofi annon should stay in power at the UN.

do you have anything even remotely constructive to say about the issue at all? or you just hate the president, and the president appointed bolton, so you have to hate bolton. i got it.

It is difficult to condemn Kofi for his crimes when we knew about it and did nothing the whole f***ing time. If it was so bad then why let it happen? Oh yeah because it wasn't politically expedient at the time to condemn Kofi. In fact, according to the US Senate Subcommittee report -- the US actually facilitated the illicit oil sales.

So if Kofi is a corrupt sonofab**** (which he is) then what's the US for facilitating the illegal sales? Let non-committed countries without involvement in the situation focus on all the corruption going on (since you wanted a constructive way) If the US just goes after Kofi, it ignores the glaring beam in their own eye -- that they were just as f***ing corrupt.

QUOTE(samclemens @ Feb 19, 2006 -> 09:09 AM)

This has nothing to do with Bolton doing anything to reform the UN. Annan's term's just about up and Bolton just started talks on who'll be the replacement.

Edited by KipWellsFan

QUOTE(KipWellsFan @ Feb 19, 2006 -> 01:45 PM)
This has nothing to do with Bolton doing anything to reform the UN.  Annan's term s just about up and Bolton just started talks on who'll be the replacement.

Thank god for that. Annan has been a total disgrace. Hopefully the new administration will be less corrupt and anti-American. The bar is set pretty low though so whoever gets in now wont have to do a lot to outshine Kofi.

QUOTE(LowerCaseRepublican @ Feb 19, 2006 -> 03:36 PM)
It is difficult to condemn Kofi for his crimes when we knew about it and did nothing the whole f***ing time.  If it was so bad then why let it happen?  Oh yeah because it wasn't politically expedient at the time to condemn Kofi.  In fact, according to the US Senate Subcommittee report -- the US actually facilitated the illicit oil sales.

So if Kofi is a corrupt sonofab**** (which he is) then what's the US for facilitating the illegal sales?  Let non-committed countries without involvement in the situation focus on all the corruption going on (since you wanted a constructive way)  If the US just goes after Kofi, it ignores the glaring beam in their own eye -- that they were just as f***ing corrupt.

of course, you didnt answer my question. who the hell should call out annan if its not the US?

correct me if im wrong, but you once again offer absolutely NO constructive suggestions, and you seem to imply that since the U.S. is corrupt, and annan is corrupt, and we knew about annan being corrupt, we should all just say "f*** it" and leave him in there. is that a correct assessment??

WHAT IS YOUR SOLUTION???? if you dont have one, DONT COMPLAIN!

edit: oh, i see...lithuania should call annan out. or some other small, uninfluential country. since those countries have so much pull in the UN (them being in the great 7 like us), thats a great solution that is guarenteed to work.

Edited by samclemens

QUOTE(LowerCaseRepublican @ Feb 19, 2006 -> 07:36 PM)
  If the US just goes after Kofi, it ignores the glaring beam in their own eye -- that they were just as f***ing corrupt.

This line from you is the biggest piece of s*** to have ever come out of your keyboard here. BULLs***! Bush and the Senate did not pocket money on oil for food deals. Some people in the US may have, but the US did not. Bush didn't just accept a half mil bribe for doing nothing. Get over the 'however' and 'but's. There are different levels of wrongness here, as you so quickly pointed out in other threads. The levels of guilt here are not even on the same planet. This is not a Bush thing, or a Republican thing, or a conservative thing. The UN has for years been a corrupt, inneffective body that has been giving a stage for pissant dictators to bash the US (and Isreal) for way too long, and been doing it on our dime. Kofi belongs in jail. He certainly belongs out of the UN. period. NO BUTS, NO HOWEVERS!

QUOTE(NUKE_CLEVELAND @ Feb 19, 2006 -> 02:47 PM)
Thank god for that.  Annan has been a total disgrace.  Hopefully the new administration will be less corrupt and anti-American.  The bar is set pretty low though so whoever gets in now wont have to do a lot to outshine Kofi.

^^^^^^^^^^^^

Annan needs to go. I do agree with people here that Bolton was and still is the wrong choice for the UN. But, in this role (bringing Annan's shortfalls to light), he may prove useful. Hopefully, more care will be taken in who is nominated this time around.

I'd even draw a parallel between Bolton's current role and that of the Dems - someone needs to point out the flaws of the current leader, to make room for someone new to provide positive direction.

QUOTE(LowerCaseRepublican @ Feb 19, 2006 -> 11:45 AM)

Ah playing the "They all do it card". Don't worry the thread police should be here with a legally obtained warrent for your posting arrest over this grevious offense.

QUOTE(KipWellsFan @ Feb 21, 2006 -> 04:32 PM)
http://www.rferl.org/featuresarticle/2006/...E1401BE718.html

Good article on an overview of the replacement process.  Likely to be an Asian.

Among the 18 distinguished candidates Equality Now proposes are Latvian President Vaira Vike-Freiberga; UN High Commissioner for Human Rights Louise Arbour; and Aung Sang Suu Kyi, a prominent dissident and prime minister-elect of Myanmar (Burma).

I doubt it, but it'd be great.