Gumbels racist comments

Controlled Chaos

"Try not to laugh when someone says these are the world’s greatest athletes, despite a paucity of blacks that makes the games look like a GOP convention. And try to blot out all logic when announcers and sportswriters pretend to care about the luge, the skeleton, the biathlon and all those other events they don’t understand and totally ignore for all but three weeks every four years. Face it: These Olympics are little more than a marketing plan.”

If a white announcer said " The paucity of whites makes it look like a NAACP convention" He would be fired the next day.

Gumbel is a f***in douchebag. Some of these atheltes work their entire lives to be on the olympic team and they are not the world's greatest atheltes cause it isn't a black dominated sport??

Edited by Controlled Chaos

QUOTE(Controlled Chaos @ Feb 17, 2006 -> 03:10 PM)
"Try not to laugh when someone says these are the world’s greatest athletes, despite a paucity of blacks that makes the games look like a GOP convention. And try to blot out all logic when announcers and sportswriters pretend to care about the luge, the skeleton, the biathlon and all those other events they don’t understand and totally ignore for all but three weeks every four years. Face it: These Olympics are little more than a marketing plan.”

If a white announcer said " The paucity of whites makes it look like a NAACP convention"  He would be fired the next day.   

Gumbel is a f***in douchebag.  Some of these atheltes work their entire lives to be on the olympic team and they are not the world's greatest atheltes cause it isn't a balck dominated sport??

Last I checked...Scandinavia is not overrun with black people doing the nordic combined. Sorry Bryant, but some of us enjoy seeing some of those sports like luge and skeleton.

I have to second your douchebag remark...so I will...Gumbel is a f***in' douchebag.

QUOTE(Controlled Chaos @ Feb 17, 2006 -> 03:10 PM)

If a white announcer said " The paucity of whites makes it look like a NAACP convention"  He would be fired the next day.   

Gumbel is a f***in douchebag.  Some of these atheltes work their entire lives to be on the olympic team and they are not the world's greatest atheltes cause it isn't a balck dominated sport??

He's right about the announcers - most of them don't know the Luge from anything, and could care less.

But everything else is utter garbage, I agree. If someone said that the running events in the summer Olympics look like a NAACP convention (making CC's example a little closer to the bone), people would have a fit. Shut your racist pie hole, Mr. Gumbel.

QUOTE(Controlled Chaos @ Feb 17, 2006 -> 08:10 PM)

Gumbel is a f***in douchebag.  Some of these atheltes work their entire lives to be on the olympic team and they are not the world's greatest atheltes cause it isn't a black dominated sport??

I am probably in the minority here, but I actually agree with him on his last line. Face it: These Olympics are little more than a marketing plan. Besides hockey the winter olympics suck ass. I am not saying that they aren't athletes at the winter olympics, there just aren't many good events or events that I find interesting.

QUOTE(southsideirish @ Feb 17, 2006 -> 02:57 PM)
I am probably in the minority here, but I actually agree with him on his last line. Face it: These Olympics are little more than a marketing plan. Besides hockey the winter olympics suck ass. I am not saying that they aren't athletes at the winter olympics, there just aren't many good events or events that I find interesting.

I'm not that interested in all the olympic sports either, but the athletes that are in these olympics bust their ass just as hard as any other athlete. As for the marketing plan...I don't get it. The Olympics aren't some new event generated for marketing...they're the f***in Olympics....

QUOTE(southsideirish @ Feb 17, 2006 -> 02:57 PM)

I would rather watch pretty much every single event in the Winter O, including Curling, than watch 1 friggin' second of Basketball, and that includes March Madness especially. All sports don't need multi-million dollar arrogance to be great.

Amazing how the same house could turn out two such opposite guys in the same field of work. I like Greg a lot, and I hate Bryant.

What Bryant seems to be missing is that the Olympics aren't really about the sports...the Olympics are about the athletes. They are about 34 year old mother's winning gold in speed skating. About gold medal winners giving their won money to charity. About 52 year old women competing in luge for Venezuela.

Why do you think the Jamaican bobsled team was so popular? Because they were black? Because they were bobsleding? NO, because they were from Jamaica!!!

Bryant has his ego so far up his own ass he's blowing s*** bubbles.

and.....scene.

Edited by CanOfCorn

There's a problem when prominent black members of society say these comments. No, I'm not generalizing; merely suggesting there are concerns when people who are looked favorably upon, and should know better, say ridiculous statements concerning race. If not Barry Bonds or Kanye West, it's Bryant Gumbel or person every associated with NAACP.

What we have to do is take people who utter these comments to task. Don't acknowledge any truths to any parts of his statements and deflect attention. Just concentrate on his observations of the absence of blacks--as well as the slight of Republicans--and absolutely hammer the issue.

I'm against anyone, of any color, interjecting race into public discussions and getting away with it. What's most disgusting is when people within the media (esp. sports media) are terrified to respond.