Contreras must rely on own confidence

SSH2005

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb...t=.jsp&c_id=cws

Contreras must rely on own confidence

Trade leaves Cuban righty without mentor, best friend

TUCSON -- As White Sox pitchers and catchers sifted through fan mail and arranged gear in their respective lockers to prepare for the six weeks of Spring Training on the horizon, a lone figure jogged on a path leading to the Minor League fields behind the team complex Friday morning.

Jose Contreras was on his own, completing a thorough morning workout regimen, the same sort of program that has brought the big right-hander into camp at the optimum weight of 245 pounds. But the White Sox hope this will be one of the last moments of solitude for Contreras as the 2006 season approaches.

By all accounts, Contreras should be on top of the baseball world for his fourth season in the Major Leagues. Aside from Minnesota's Johan Santana, there probably was no pitcher in all of baseball who was close to Contreras in terms of 2005 second-half dominance.

Contreras posted an 11-2 record with a 2.96 ERA in 15 starts after the All-Star Game. He struck out 82 and walked 27 over 103 1/3 innings, giving the White Sox a more than viable chance to win every time he took the mound.

In September alone, Contreras finished 6-0 with a 1.99 ERA. He also produced three victories in the postseason, including the complete-game clincher in the American League Championship Series against the Angels.

So, why is this affable big man still holding some serious doubts for 2006, as some pundits predict a 20-win season for Contreras? Orlando Hernandez, his closest friend and unofficial pitching coach as part of the White Sox rotation last year, was traded to Arizona during the past offseason.

Hernandez's departure leaves Contreras to produce in a manner from which he has struggled to get his arms around in the past. He must rely on his own confidence and depend on his own immense ability.

"It will be difficult for me," said a forthright Contreras through a translator on performing without the assistance of Hernandez. "I'm used to looking to my left and having my buddy there and it will be different this year. What can you do? Just keep on going.

"I'm not sure. I'm confident, but my buddy had a big influence on me and helped my confidence level. I'm being very sincere about it. I miss my buddy and it's going to be a big loss for me."

With a somewhat wistful look in his eyes, Contreras admitted that his 2005 development certainly covered more than El Duque's support. He credited manager Ozzie Guillen and pitching coach Don Cooper for believing in him, pushing him to throw strikes and work with a presence on the mound. He added that fellow starting pitchers such as Freddy Garcia and Mark Buehrle both were of great help.

But in the next moment, with a resigned smile, Contreras pointed out that he hasn't known Buehrle and Garcia for the past 15 years as he did with El Duque. Buehrle and Garcia didn't share the common bond of being Cuban pitching sensations and then trying to find their niche in the United States after defecting.

It also was El Duque who lifted up Contreras after a couple of bad outings, telling Contreras that he was a great pitcher and to keep doing what he was doing. As early as last Spring Training, El Duque spoke of Contreras' endless potential and how he shouldn't worry about throwing his devastating split-finger too often as much as he should be concerned about attacking the hitters.

"Mentally, he was an enormous help," Contreras said of El Duque's impact. "He understands who I am.

"He was a big influence on me last year and a big reason I had the success I had. El Duque was like a coach."

Guillen understands the effect El Duque had on Contreras. The same can be said for Chris Widger, who caught both pitchers during the team's first championship since 1917. They also believe Contreras is ready to take flight on his own, confident and centered even without his friend nearby, lending his encouragement.

"When Jose was on the mound, Duque was not next to him," said Guillen of Contreras, who turned 34 in December. "I know Duque is his friend, and it's not easy. But we are going to do the best we can to make it easier for him and to make him the most comfortable. We are open for him."

"I think he's turned the corner," Widger added. "He didn't just pitch well for a start or two. He did it for a stretch where every time he went out there the last four or five weeks, you know he was going to give you a quality start and you know you were going to be in that game. He's our one guy who can be dominating and absolutely shut someone down."

The loss of his support system seems far more upsetting to Contreras than persistent offseason rumors surrounding a possible deal sending him out of Chicago. Those Hot Stove notions stemmed from Contreras being the only one of six White Sox starters who is not signed through 2007, and the inability to reach any sort of contract extension over the past few months.

There was little doubt Friday as to where Contreras wants to pitch, as he stated that the White Sox are home and that he really wants to stay with the team that he loves and has confidence will continue winning. He quickly added that the contract issue will be left to Jaime Torres, his agent, as he focuses on the upcoming season.

Judging from Contreras' unbeatable closing kick in 2005, the 2006 season could be the one where he matches the huge advanced billing brought with him from Cuba. Contreras is not alone, as he strives to lead the White Sox to a second straight title.

Without El Duque, though, he just feels a little less complete.

"Both Duque and Jose have gone through the same trials and tribulations, and it was great the way they worked together last year," Widger said. "I just don't think he needs someone to tell him how good he is anymore.

"He doesn't need the confidence boost. He knows now. He thought it before, but he knows how good he is and he can only get better."

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2006 @ Feb 18, 2006 -> 02:43 AM)
I just don't buy into the El Duque hype.  Yeah,  it's nice to have a friend around or whatever.  But there's something wrong with you if your performance is effected,  whether is be positive or negative,  by having your friend or friends around.

I have to agree if having a friend around like El Duque shouldn't affect his performance. If it effects his performance than it's time to shop him around.

Anybody that is in a comfortable environment with the support of a friend you can depend on being near by is going to perform better. Have a bad day, you have someone to talk to. Have a question on what to do, you talk to someone you trust. It makes it easier to approach and handle issues instead of taking them to work with you. I don't see how this makes Contreras different from anybody else.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Feb 18, 2006 -> 03:39 AM)
Anybody that is in a comfortable environment with the support of a friend you can depend on being near by is going to perform better.  Have a bad day, you have someone to talk to.  Have a question on what to do, you talk to someone you trust.  It makes it easier to approach and handle issues instead of taking them to work with you.  I don't see how this makes Contreras different from anybody else.

^^^^^^^^^^^^

I worked in Mexico for two years. I was able to go home many nights, but the travel in the interior was tough. I have a lot of empathy for him. Being comfortable in your surroundings is important to anyone. Think about language issues, being homesick, etc.

I think when Shingo was released, some people were wondering if it would affect Iguchi. Now, I know that Shingo and Iguchi didn't have the same friendship that Contreras and Duque do, but it's similar with having a fellow countryman around. The loss of Shingo didn't affect Iguchi, so I hope the same holds true for Contreras. Besides, plenty of people on the Sox speak Spanish.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Feb 18, 2006 -> 08:16 AM)
^^^^^^^^^^^^

I worked in Mexico for two years. I was able to go home many nights, but the travel in the interior was tough. I have a lot of empathy for him. Being comfortable in your surroundings is important to anyone. Think about language issues, being homesick, etc.

Exactly. All this talk about 'if it affects him we should trade him' is bulls***. These players are people, not machines.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Feb 18, 2006 -> 11:18 AM)
I think when Shingo was released, some people were wondering if it would affect Iguchi.  Now, I know that Shingo and Iguchi didn't have the same friendship that Contreras and Duque do, but it's similar with having a fellow countryman around.  The loss of Shingo didn't affect Iguchi, so I hope the same holds true for Contreras.  Besides, plenty of people on the Sox speak Spanish.

I have been to Cuba and speak decent Spanish. The Cuban dialect is really tough to pick up. There is also a culture all in itself that does not compare to many other Latin countries. With that said, there can only be 25 players on a roster and each is important to a team's success. The Boston game was great, but El Duque was a drain on the roster at times with his injuries and inconsistency. While do I feel for Contreras, if he does not perform I say trade him to AZ to be with his friend. Maybe we can get Chris Young back. ;-)

If he requires El Duque to hold his hand and make him feel better to pitch, trade the Count for whatever you can get from the Mets or the Phillies. I understand that Contreras is a human being, however if he is going to revert to walk the world and give up an 8 spot here or there, then does his current value now give us a bargaining chip. Contreras's problem for years has never been physical, its always been mental. He turns it around and is on the virge of making enough money that he can literally roll around it in, and now El Duque not being here could be an issue. If he is that mentally weak that he needs his buddy to be here, then lets get rid of him before he implodes. My question to his agent would be, so if we get El Duque and keep him around and make him a coach are you going to give us a huge huge discount. Oh you mean you still wants gobs of money. I understand that everyone loves familiar surroundings and I understand the differences between latin culture as a person who has travelled throughout central and south america. But this is a latin team with a latin manager who has numerous people who speak the language and understand the culture. This should be a very friendly place for the latin players out there. Remember, however some of the people mentioned are making a large large amount of money. They are probably not going to give us a huge discount as it is a business and they need to take care of themselves, and the whitesox as a business has to protect themselves. If Conteras gives any inkling of having his performance influenced by the loss of El Duque KW will have his bags packed for a package before you can blink.

Edited by southsideirish71

my boy Jose C. will be just fine. Expext 16 wins and alot of K's out of him in '06. Having El-duque here last year only helped him become a comfortable member of the White Sox. Not that he's comfortable here in Chicago he figured it all out and became the Titan of Bronze once again. If I were Ozzie, i would consider Jose being the #2 starter to start the season.