California set to execute Michael Morales

minors

QUOTE(NUKE_CLEVELAND @ Feb 21, 2006 -> 01:15 AM)
What is gained?  How about what is lost by killing this filth?  We lose one more scumbag piece of s*** who is nothing but a drain of our tax dollars and a waste of oxygen.

And I love how this is somehow the state's choice to make. As a person who thinks the government is inefficient with poverty payments etc, Nuke...how can you give them the authority to take lives and believe that they will do it judiciously?

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(minors @ Feb 20, 2006 -> 08:52 PM)
You think it is that easy, just let him out of his cell after 30 years.  First of all he is institutionalized with all of old prison habits and in over 60% of these cases the person ends up committing another crime.  Secondly how do you just give back 30 years of a man's life?

Better that an innocent man die? Not saying that this particular person is innocent but your rationale is appalling.

QUOTE(minors @ Feb 20, 2006 -> 11:32 PM)
Wow I don't even know where to start.  OK inhumane???  WTF what about the stuff these thugs do to innocent victims.  Keeping them in prison fine tell the at least 9 victim's families that Ken McDuff killed after he was granted parole you can't guarantee these thugs will be locked up for good unless the DP is used.  DNA evidence on the murder weapon is pretty conclusive evidence.  The Death Penalty is case you have forgotten is in use in 38 out 50 states so I guess all the people that live in those states are blood thirsty as well.... 

Take it easy. We don't need to throw personal insults around here. Got it?

QUOTE(minors @ Feb 20, 2006 -> 11:32 PM)
Keeping them in prison fine tell the at least 9 victim's families that Ken McDuff killed after he was granted parole you can't guarantee these thugs will be locked up for good unless the DP is used.

Its called life without parole. Happens a lot (probably should happen more). Look it up.

QUOTE(CubsSuck1 @ Feb 20, 2006 -> 11:19 PM)
What the die hard death penalty supporters fail to realize is that the American justice system is not intended to punish, but rather keep the threats to society away and in jail so that they cannot repeat their horrid acts.

I'm not quite sure where you get this from. The penal system is meant to do both: punish and protect (In fact, "penal" a derivative of "punish").

That said, I do believe that life without parole is a worse punishment than capital punishment. To know that one will never know freedom of movement, regular interactions with relatives, friends, etc. is not a punishment to sneeze at.

I do endorse capital punishment for those heinous criminals who by their actions have shown themselves to have lost their humanity, so to reserve such punishment for the Hitlers and Saddams of history to me is appropriate and necessary.

QUOTE(LowerCaseRepublican @ Feb 21, 2006 -> 06:30 AM)
And I love how this is somehow the state's choice to make.  As a person who thinks the government is inefficient with poverty payments etc, Nuke...how can you give them the authority to take lives and believe that they will do it judiciously?

The state didn't decide to kill this s***bag. A jury of his peers did.

Just an update for Those who are interested:

SAN QUENTIN -- The scheduled execution of convicted murderer-rapist Michael Morales was postponed this morning after court-ordered anesthesiologists refused to participate in the process. The prison warden abruptly changed plans and announced that the inmate would be executed with a lethal dose of barbiturates.

At 2:55 a.m., Warden Steven Ornoski announced that the prison indends to carry out the execution at 7:30 p.m. today with an unprecedented single dose of sodium pentothal, a lethal barbiturate, rather than the standard three-chemical potion.

Injecting Morales with five grams of barbiturates was expected to lengthen the execution from the usual 11 minutes to as long as 45 minutes.

A week ago, U.S. District Court Judge Jeremy Fogel responded to defense claims that lethal injection violated a constitutional ban on cruel and unusual punishment by offering three options: A lethal injection of only barbiturates; having an anesthesiologist on hand to ensure Morales was unconscious when the standard three-chemical injection was administered; or a stay of the execution pending a hearing.

State corrections officials chose the second option, and had two doctors ready to proceed with the execution as planned at 12:01 a.m. Tuesday.

After serious differences of opinion with the anesthesiologists, Ornoski asked his staff to stand down on the execution at about 2 a.m.

The doctors' withdrawal came at the end of hasty legal maneuvering in U.S. District Court, the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals and the U.S. Supreme Court. But it was the language in an opinion rendered Monday by the appellate court that had the court-ordered anesthesiologists in mutiny.

The doctors' concerns hinged on the ethics of returning an inmate to consciousness in the event of a botched lethal injection.

Doctors said the ruling raised serious questions about the possibility of having to intervene in the execution "if any evidence of either pain or a return to consciousness arose."

In a statement to the warden, the doctors said, "Any such intervention would be medically unethical. As a result, we have withdrawn from participation in this current process. ... What is being asked of us is ethically unacceptable."

The death warrant for Morales expires at 12:01 a.m. Wednesday. If the execution is not carried out before then, a Superior Court judge would have no more than 60 days to set another execution date.

Morales was returned to his cell on death row, and prison officials declined to describe what the inmate only thought was his last meal.

The family members of the victim were leaving San Quentin and "trying to gather themselves," prison spokesman Vernell Crittendon said.

QUOTE(minors @ Feb 21, 2006 -> 11:15 AM)
Yes, Just responding to the personal insult that was thrown at me.  I didn't appreciate being called a blood thirsty self evangelist.

You're on the wrong side of this issue. Some things are insults, others are "justified".

Better that an innocent man die?  Not saying that this particular person is innocent but your rationale is appalling.

How many innocent men have we executed? Most likely the same number of people who spent their life in prison even though they were innocent. By the way the person confesed to the killing.

Its called life without parole.  Happens a lot (probably should happen more).  Look it up.

Yeah well tell the families that so called LWOP Kenneth McDuff murdered. With overcrowding there is no gaurentee that they will get life in prison. And oh I love the so called punishment of life in prison, 3 square meals a roof over your head. The bleeding hearts will soon make it to where prisoners must get a stake dinner for there meals.

LOL, i like how minors refers to all murderers as "thugs"

Well people who kill 17 year old girls by strangling he with his belt, then beat her in the head with a hammer 27 times, then rape her while she was unconscious then come back stab her 4 times. And as an extra insult he ripped her clothes off just so her privates would be exposed. If there is any other words that can describe him I would like to know.

QUOTE(minors @ Feb 21, 2006 -> 11:30 AM)
Well people who kill 17 year old girls by strangling he with his belt, then beat her in the head with a hammer 27 times, then rape her while she was unconscious then come back stab her 4 times.  And as an extra insult he ripped her clothes off just so her privates would be exposed.  If there is any other words that can describe him I would like to know.

C'mon man ... you can't insult murderers by calling them 'thugs'. It's so totally politically incorrect.

QUOTE(minors @ Feb 21, 2006 -> 12:30 PM)
Well people who kill 17 year old girls by strangling he with his belt, then beat her in the head with a hammer 27 times, then rape her while she was unconscious then come back stab her 4 times.  And as an extra insult he ripped her clothes off just so her privates would be exposed.  If there is any other words that can describe him I would like to know.

I just found it funny, I dont disagree. It just seemed like you went out of your way to put "thugs" in your posts as many times as you could, lol.

QUOTE(minors @ Feb 21, 2006 -> 12:25 PM)
Yeah well tell the families that so called LWOP Kenneth McDuff murdered.  With overcrowding there is no gaurentee that they will get life in prison.  And oh I love the so called punishment of life in prison, 3 square meals a roof over your head. The bleeding hearts will soon make it to where prisoners must get a stake dinner for there meals.

Are we executing Dracula here or something? :bang

QUOTE(minors @ Feb 21, 2006 -> 11:42 AM)
Looks like Cali will not use the 3 cocktails so the execution will happen at 7:30 tonight.  I feel for the family having to go there then told to go home and come back tomorrow after 25 years of waiting.

And if it doesn't happen tonight, it goes back to the original judge for issuance of another death warrant, which will probably not be issued because he has since changed his opinion on this particular case. So, the family will be told to go home and wait longer.

And if it doesn't happen tonight, it goes back to the original judge for issuance of another death warrant, which will probably not be issued because he has since changed his opinion on this particular case.  So, the family will be told to go home and wait longer.

It looks like the judge gave them 2 options one which would require the doctors be there or overdose him on a seditive which seems to be the road they are on.

QUOTE(minors @ Feb 21, 2006 -> 11:58 AM)
It looks like the judge gave them 2 options one which would require the doctors be there or overdose him on a seditive which seems to be the road they are on.

I think they should just hang the SOB.