Sox fan wins Gold Medal

I pretty much agree with Los...It's shame on both of them. They both could have taken the high road, but instead of saying the right things they have both continued to throw little jabs at one another. Also Shani Davis seems to have a huge chip on his shoulder and I am in no position to say if it is warranted or not.

Poor him.. any minute I'm sure we'll get the oppressed black man story. He's probably still pissed at Bryant for his "racist" comments..

:rolly

The guy is on a team... if he decides to back out of an event he should have had the deciency to tell them sooner then 5 minutes before the event.

QUOTE(Steff @ Feb 22, 2006 -> 09:36 AM)
Poor him.. any minute I'm sure we'll get the oppressed black man story. He's probably still pissed at Bryant for his "racist" comments..

:rolly

The guy is on a team... if he decides to back out of an event he should have had the deciency to tell them sooner then 5 minutes before the event.

Actually according to Shani and some of the people he trains with last night on the news he told them 2 months ago he wasnt competing in the team event due to how close it was to his best event the 1000m. If that is true the Hendrick is full of s***. These were the people at the Evanston skate club who were saying this. Take it for what its worth.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Feb 22, 2006 -> 10:01 AM)
Actually according to Shani and some of the people he trains with last night on the news he told them 2 months ago he wasnt competing in the team event due to how close it was to his best event the 1000m.  If that is true the Hendrick is full of s***.  These were the people at the Evanston skate club who were saying this.    Take it for what its worth.

It was all over the place he wasn't going to do it before they left... then at the opening ceremonies he said he was, then he wasn't, then he was... bla, bla, bla, yadda, yadda, yadda...

The point is there was stupid drama when there shouldn't have been. Both are to blame.. but I think Davis is being a bit more childish about it. He keeps acting like an idiot and bringing s*** up. Hendrick responding last night was stupid... but Davis made the comment so he had the right to.

QUOTE(Steff @ Feb 22, 2006 -> 10:06 AM)
It was all over the place he wasn't going to do it before they left... then at the opening ceremonies he said he was, then he wasn't, then he was... bla, bla, bla, yadda, yadda, yadda...

The point is there was stupid drama when there shouldn't have been. Both are to blame.. but I think Davis is being a bit more childish about it. He keeps acting like an idiot and bringing s*** up. Hendrick responding last night was stupid... but Davis made the comment so he had the right to.

I agree that both of them should of kept this to themselves. Its kind of stupid to have them fighting openly right after the medal ceremony. I am almost to the point where we lock them into a room, let them beat the s*** out of each other, then let them come out. Maybe after they get their frustrations out they can start acting like adults.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Feb 22, 2006 -> 11:13 AM)
I agree that both of them should of kept this to themselves.  Its kind of stupid to have them fighting openly right after the medal ceremony.  I am almost to the point where we lock them into a room, let them beat the s*** out of each other, then let them come out.  Maybe after they get their frustrations out they can start acting like adults.

Sadly, since they are American athletes that is doubtful to ever happen. We have to make sure that the rest of the world continues to hate us after acting like morons at the Olympics (see also the snowboarder and her celebrating b4 the finish line).

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Feb 22, 2006 -> 10:13 AM)
I agree that both of them should of kept this to themselves.  Its kind of stupid to have them fighting openly right after the medal ceremony.  I am almost to the point where we lock them into a room, let them beat the s*** out of each other, then let them come out.  Maybe after they get their frustrations out they can start acting like adults.

It's stupid and embarrassing. Like the US needs anymore bulls***.

QUOTE(Chisoxrd5 @ Feb 22, 2006 -> 10:15 AM)
Sadly, since they are American athletes that is doubtful to ever happen. We have to make sure that the rest of the world continues to hate us after acting like morons at the Olympics (see also the snowboarder and her celebrating b4 the finish line).

Did you see her father's face...?? I thought he was going to have a stroke.

When did the Olympics stop being an honor to these jerks?

QUOTE(SleepyWhiteSox @ Feb 22, 2006 -> 11:20 AM)
So you think he's bulls***ting and never really got any s*** because of the color of his skin?

I could see how he may have had a hard time at first. But the harder barrier for him probably came from within his own race. I'm not sure where he grew up but if he went to a predominately black school its a guarantee he got ripped for climbing into one of those one piece suits and going ice skating. Like any sport, regardless of the color of your skin it takes time to make your way. For him it was probably 10 times more difficult. No one knows enough of the background history to make any judgements and instead of this being a great, defying the odd story, it has become a huge pissing party.

QUOTE(SleepyWhiteSox @ Feb 22, 2006 -> 10:20 AM)
So you think he's bulls***ting and never really got any s*** because of the color of his skin?

Nope. And I didn't mean to imply such.

Specific to this incident alone. I don't know anything about his prevous struggles.

QUOTE(Chisoxrd5 @ Feb 22, 2006 -> 10:15 AM)

I was at a bar on Friday night and people were openly laughing at her. She was so far ahead, and then decided to put on a show for the crowd instead of just racing for the line. Then afterwards the goofy story about how she wasnt hotdogging it. That she grabbed her board to make it land quicker. Well next time dear, please dont arch and tilt the board so you can do a "Grab 120 Fakee" when you have 50 meters to go for Gold.

QUOTE(Chisoxrd5 @ Feb 22, 2006 -> 11:25 AM)
I could see how he may have had a hard time at first. But the harder barrier for him probably came from within his own race. I'm not sure where he grew up but if he went to a predominately black school its a guarantee he got ripped for climbing into one of those one piece suits and going ice skating. Like any sport, regardless of the color of your skin it takes time to make your way. For him it was probably 10 times more difficult. No one knows enough of the background history to make any judgements and instead of this being a great, defying the odd story, it has become a huge pissing party.

I'll work on the assumption that he's faced at least some crap on his way up, BUT as is too often the case, some people think it gives you a 'be a prick' license.

QUOTE(Steff @ Feb 22, 2006 -> 08:17 AM)
Did you see her father's face...?? I thought he was going to have a stroke.

When did the Olympics stop being an honor to these jerks?

That girl wanted it badly. Watch most of the events and you'll see in the ski/snowboard style events people usually do some sort of mini trick as they get near the finish line if they are up big.

Unfortunately she went off the jump wrong from the get go (she would have probably fallen regardless) cause it was awkward from the start.

She never said anything wrong either, imo.

Now these fools and Bodie or Bode now thats a disgrace. And in the midst of all these disgraceful athletes lets not forget Kildow whose just gutted the olympics out. She won't win anything but thats a positive story regardless. The media just talks about the few stupid things that happen instead of the good stuff.

But thats the media.

QUOTE(Chisoxrd5 @ Feb 22, 2006 -> 08:25 AM)

Just like any white male in high school would have gotten crap if he told his friends he did figure skating or did that dance contest (even if his partner was a hot girl). Fact of the matter is if it was a race issue its simply the fact that his own race was giving him s***.

I don't hear people making fun of tiger for being black or asian despite the fact there are like zero african american golfers on the tour and I doubt he ever got crap at Stanford. Sure there are racists here and there but its more in his case the race stereotype he had to get passed.

Male cheerleaders have to get passed the gender stereotype. Everyone goes through it so quit with the poor me stuff. Nothing pisses me off more.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Feb 22, 2006 -> 08:32 AM)
I was at a bar on Friday night and people were openly laughing at her.  She was so far ahead, and then decided to put on a show for the crowd instead of just racing for the line.  Then afterwards the goofy story about how she wasnt hotdogging it.  That she grabbed her board to make it land quicker.  Well next time dear, please dont arch and tilt the board so you can do a "Grab 120 Fakee" when you have 50 meters to go for Gold.

Not that this bothers me but it was an easy trick. It would be like being on a wide open breakaway and missing a slam dunk in a sense. It wasn't like she was going for a windmill dunk.

It just happened to bite her in the ass, but the world thinks its this complicated trick because Bob Costas Mr. Jackass told us so. I swear he thinks he knows everything about every sport enough to comment on the level of difficutly of stupid moves. Leave that up to the pro's and people that do the sport.

She screwed up but people like him are the reason it gets blown out of proportion. Take this from someone who snowboards about once a week during the winter and someone that has a sister thats sponsored in the very sport. It was a routine move, much like a slam dunk as opposed to taking a layup.

I should add I'm not slamming you irish, just making a comment cause Costas has been ticking me off.