Reds release Hancock for being overweight

SSH2005

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/5342918

Reds release Hancock for being overweight

SARASOTA, Fla. (AP) - Josh Hancock was released Saturday by the Cincinnati Reds a day into spring training after the right-hander reported to camp overweight.

The 27-year-old Hancock missed most of last season with a groin injury suffered in spring training. Hancock and the rest of the Reds pitchers and catchers took physicals on Friday.

Manager Jerry Narron said Hancock, whose weight is listed at 207 pounds, reported 17 pounds too heavy. General manager Wayne Krivsky went along with Narron's suggestion to release Hancock a day into spring training.

Narron spoke to his players at the end of last season and urged them to be serious about their offseason conditioning programs. He was stunned that Hancock showed up overweight.

"I have no clue what Josh Hancock was doing," Narron said. "As far as I know, he might have been running a marathon all winter long. He may have been throwing off the mound. But he was 17 pounds over his requested reporting weight.

"Can he be a successful major league pitcher 17 pounds more than he's asked to be? Maybe. But we looked at last year - he was on the disabled list for 133 games - and just did not see the commitment that we wanted to see this winter."

The Reds acquired Hancock from Philadelphia in 2004.

He went 5-1 with a 4.45 ERA in nine starts and three relief appearances for Cincinnati in 2004, putting him in the competition for a bullpen spot when spring training began last year.

He hurt his groin in his final spring game and aggravated the injury during a rehabilitation stint with Triple-A Louisville in June. During another rehabilitation assignment with Louisville, he developed a sore elbow that sidelined him again.

Hancock made 11 relief appearances in September, going 1-0 with a 1.93 ERA - an encouraging showing. Narron hopes that Hancock's release on Saturday makes him realize what he has to do to pitch in the majors.

"I really believe you earn things in this game," Narron said. "When you're on the disabled list 133 games, you haven't earned the right to come in 17 pounds overweight."

Narron is sending a message here ... to the rest of his team.

The Reds can't afford to get rid of decent pitching. Hancock was listed at 6'3", 207 pounds so if he gained 17 pounds he's still only 224 pounds. 6'3", 224 pounds is hardly overweight. Another team will pick him up in no time.

Edited by SSH2005

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Feb 18, 2006 -> 06:18 PM)
The Reds can't afford to get rid of decent pitching.  Hancock was listed at 6'3", 207 pounds so if he gained 17 pounds he's still only 224 pounds.  6'3", 224 pounds is hardly overweight.  Another team will pick him up in no time.

Dude, it's the Reds. 1 decent pitcher with major health problems is not going to suddenly save their season. Otherwise I'm sure the Cubs would let them have Kerry Wood for a song.

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Feb 18, 2006 -> 08:18 PM)
The Reds can't afford to get rid of decent pitching.  Hancock was listed at 6'3", 207 pounds so if he gained 17 pounds he's still only 224 pounds.  6'3", 224 pounds is hardly overweight.  Another team will pick him up in no time.

They don't care. He made the move due to the principle behind it, sending a message to the rest of the team that if you do not listen, you will be released or moved.

How much of an effect did Timo Perez's $1 mill have on the team last year? Hardly any at all. The reason people were pissed was the principle behind it...you don't give a player arguably twice as much as he's worth...if anything, $750-$800K would have been much better. In the Hancock example, he didn't listen to what the team wanted him to do.

Besides, I'm sure their desired weight for him was not 207...they probably didn't have some off the wall number like that. He might weigh less than 224...perhaps 222 or even 217. Or perhaps it was at 210, and he weighs 227. Or it could be some off the wall number like that, and he does indeed weigh 224. I'm not sure how much Cincinatti cared...like I said, and YAS said, they released him to send a message.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Feb 19, 2006 -> 12:07 AM)
They don't care.  He made the move due to the principle behind it, sending a message to the rest of the team that if you do not listen, you will be released or moved.

How much of an effect did Timo Perez's $1 mill have on the team last year?  Hardly any at all.  The reason people were pissed was the principle behind it...you don't give a player arguably twice as much as he's worth...if anything, $750-$800K would have been much better.  In the Hancock example, he didn't listen to what the team wanted him to do.

Besides, I'm sure their desired weight for him was not 207...they probably didn't have some off the wall number like that.  He might weigh less than 224...perhaps 222 or even 217.  Or perhaps it was at 210, and he weighs 227.  Or it could be some off the wall number like that, and he does indeed weigh 224.  I'm not sure how much Cincinatti cared...like I said, and YAS said, they released him to send a message.

The question is, does this guy have a decent future, and if so I think the sox should grab him.

Bob

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Feb 18, 2006 -> 08:18 PM)

What he's listed at might have been his weight in high school.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Feb 19, 2006 -> 12:02 PM)
What he's listed at might have been his weight in high school.

"I have no clue what Josh Hancock was doing," Narron said. "As far as I know, he might have been running a marathon all winter long. He may have been throwing off the mound. But he was 17 pounds over his requested reporting weight."

Looks like they asked him to come to camp around 207, and he put on a few pounds instead.

That didn't take very long...

http://stlouis.cardinals.mlb.com/NASApp/ml...t=.jsp&c_id=stl

Hancock signs: Right-hander Josh Hancock, who was released by the Reds on Saturday, has signed a Minor League deal with the Cardinals, pending a physical. Cincinnati released Hancock after he arrived at camp 17 pounds overweight. Assuming he passes his physical, he will be invited to Major League Spring Training for the Redbirds.

Hancock, 27, was removed from the Reds' 40-man roster in January but still invited to Spring Training. He made 11 appearances in the Majors for Cincinnati last year, going 1-0 with a 1.93 ERA, striking out five and walking one. For his career, he has a 4.40 ERA over 88 innings (32 games, 12 starts) with the Red Sox, Phillies and Reds.