Cooper wants 12-man staff, 2nd lefty no guarantee

SSH2005

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb...t=.jsp&c_id=cws

Notes: Sox favor carrying extra pitchers

Guillen wants club to remain hungry; Hermanson back on track

TUCSON, Ariz. -- Don Cooper always will fall on the side of White Sox pitchers if given the option between carrying an extra fielder or 11 or 12 pitchers.

But the White Sox pitching coach believes taking an unusually high total of 12 pitchers to Chicago, a possibility discussed previously by both general manager Ken Williams and manager Ozzie Guillen, will best serve the franchise's repeat purpose in 2006.

"The strength of our team last year was the pitching staff, and keeping those guys healthy can't be understated," Cooper said after watching his pitchers throw Saturday. "What became even more of a strength for us was when we made the playoffs was our depth. We didn't even have to activate [brandon] McCarthy.

"Carrying the 12th pitcher gives you a chance to keep things in order and keep people in the bullpen in the spots you really want to see them. Having the extra pitcher is another good way of keeping the pitching staff healthy."

Cooper pointed out that having a 12th pitcher allows the White Sox to give a frequently used reliever an extra day or two of rest. That scenario also could mean taking a starter out after six innings in certain instances and letting the bullpen protect the lead a little longer.

Twelve pitchers is a possibility because of the versatility of utility man Rob Mackowiak, who can play in both the outfield and the infield. Of course, with workhorses such as Mark Buehrle, Jose Contreras, Jon Garland, Javier Vazquez and Freddy Garcia in the rotation, that extra arm almost seems to be a wasted roster spot.

"I don't like it," said Buehrle with a wry smile. "I want to be out there as much as I can every five days. I don't know what they are talking about, whether it's 11 or 12 pitchers. Whatever they will do I know is right for the team."

"It gives us more maneuverability," Cooper added. "I would rather have 12."

Left is all right? Despite the desire to carry an extra man in the bullpen, Cooper said Saturday there's no guarantee one of the two remaining relief spots will be filled by a left-hander to join Neal Cotts. With eight lefties battling, though, Cooper would like to think that at least one will step up and earn a job.

"You would like to think there will be a couple of three or four who will jump up and say, 'You really have to give me a look. I'm throwing the ball well and getting guys out,'" Cooper said. "But we aren't going to pin ourselves in a corner, saying we must take a lefty.

"We are going to be taking the 11 or 12 or whatever number we are set on, the 12 best who can get people out. We won't take a lefty for the sake of having a lefty if he's not showing us anything."

Cooper envisions the second lefty as more of a situational to one inning sort of reliever, who could appear in 60 to 70 games.

Welcome back: Guillen admitted to holding a little bit back from his first speech to the pitchers and catchers prior to Saturday's workout, saving his best baseball oratory for when the full team is together Thursday. But even after winning the World Series in 2005 and capturing 16 of their final 17 games, Guillen's message was one of improvement.

"You win the World Series the year before and all of a sudden you say, 'Hopefully, we're going to have a better team,'" Guillen said. "That sounds silly. How are you going to be better when you won the World Series?

"But I feel a lot better this year. We have six starters. Last year we didn't. We didn't have a few guys in the bullpen. Last year, we had a lot of ,'If, if, if.'

"I just told them that the World Series is over," Guillen added. "We're the 2006 Chicago White Sox, not the 2005."

After winning the championship, Guillen also pointed out that his group no longer has the luxury of flying under the radar and being underestimated. They have to keep the same edge, while every other team tries to knock them off their lofty perch.

"We have six or seven guys who weren't here last year and they are hungry too," Guillen said. "We are still hungry. That's why we build this team to stay hungry."

Back on track: By the end of the 2005 season, Dustin Hermanson had gone from a virtually automatic closer with 34 saves to a father who could barely pick up his young daughter because of severe back pain. An offseason of extensive physical therapy, focused on strengthening his back, has returned the right-hander to Tucson 10 pounds lighter and ready for future late-inning responsibilities.

"It's time to get busy for this year now," said Hermanson, who was in physical therapy three days per week, for two hours per day. "I feel good. I feel healthy."

Staying put: Offseason rumors of a trade involving Contreras shouldn't bother the tough right-hander, according to Guillen. The White Sox manager also mentioned Contreras' name has not come up in any recent conversations with Williams, despite his trade value never being higher.

"Yeah, but I don't think we need that much," Guillen said. "We need him more than we need something else."

Third to first: Garcia's arrival date still was uncertain after his car was stolen, with Guillen planning to call his friend Saturday night in Miami. Guillen wants Garcia in camp as soon as possible, with his departure to Florida coming soon to train with Team Venezuela of the World Baseball Classic. ... Jim Thome impressed Guillen with the few swings the manager witnessed Saturday, especially with his ability to hit the ball the opposite way. ... Position players such as Joe Crede, Scott Podsednik and Brian Anderson have joined Thome in reporting early to Tucson. ... Dale Torborg, the White Sox Minor League conditioning coordinator, passed out shirts to commemorate his December TNA Pay Per View Wrestling appearance with catcher A.J. Pierzynski in Florida. Torborg and Pierzynski are pictured with Bobby "The Brain" Heenan on the front of the shirt, under the word "Basebrawl."

Edited by SSH2005

Ah, spring training: where even the celler dwellers get good writeups and the WS champs--well they get the benefit of the doubt lets say.

Am I the only one already sick of these puff pieces that say "blah, blah, go Sox, blah?"

The only real piece of news in this article is that the Sox won't pidgeonhole themselves into taking a 2nd left, which given the options for 2nd lefty, seems like the reasonable thing to do.

QUOTE(chitownsportsfan @ Feb 18, 2006 -> 09:43 PM)
Ah, spring training: where even the celler dwellers get good writeups and the WS champs--well they get the benefit of the doubt lets say.

Am I the only one already sick of these puff pieces that say "blah, blah, go Sox, blah?"

The only real piece of news in this article is that the Sox won't pidgeonhole themselves into taking a 2nd left, which given the options for 2nd lefty, seems like the reasonable thing to do.

wasn't it a KC writer, forget his name, who wrote that he thought the Royals would be a team to beat last year.......i don't know what you call that?? good write up??

Did he do that this year?

QUOTE(chitownsportsfan @ Feb 19, 2006 -> 03:31 PM)
Yea, I did sorta ignore the good news from Hermie.  Still, is anyone predicting Hermie to have an ERA under 3?  I know I'm not.  He shined last year, and thank him for it, but this year I see a bounceback.

Hermy needs to keep the ball down if he's going to continue to put up good numbers for us. As the season went on, he left the ball up in the aone a lot more, and got hit a lot harder because of it.

He only gave up 4 HR's for 2005 though. If he's going to have continued success for us, that'll number will have to stay around that mark.

As for the 12th pitcher, just don't bring back Jon Adkins ok? :D

He only gave up 4 HR's for 2005 though. If he's going to have continued success for us, that'll number will have to stay around that mark.

I agree completely. In fact, Hermie, Cotts and Politte each posted HR as percent of flies numbers that will be nearly impossible to duplicate. Cotts has straight up nasty control, but I'm worried about Politte and Hermie--not terribly worried, but worried enough that the might cost us a few more wins than they did last year.

QUOTE(chitownsportsfan @ Feb 18, 2006 -> 10:49 PM)
I agree completely.  In fact, Hermie, Cotts and Politte each posted HR as percent of flies numbers that will be nearly impossible to duplicate.  Cotts has straight up nasty control, but I'm worried about Politte and Hermie--not terribly worried, but worried enough that the might cost us a few more wins than they did last year.

Does a better 5th starter/Thome addition help produce more wins though to balance that out?

Yea, I did sorta ignore the good news from Hermie.  Still, is anyone predicting Hermie to have an ERA under 3?  I know I'm not.  He shined last year, and thank him for it, but this year I see a bounceback.

Here are Hermanson's 3-year splits:

Total: 3.85 ERA

As Reliever: 3.46 ERA

As Starter: 4.19 ERA

Those numbers are probably skewed by his career year last season but I would sure take a 3.46 ERA from him.

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Feb 19, 2006 -> 12:23 AM)
Here are Hermanson's 3-year splits:

Total:  3.85 ERA

As Reliever:  3.46 ERA

As Starter:  4.19 ERA

Those numbers are probably skewed by his career year last season but I would sure take a 3.46 ERA from him.

I would take a 4.00 ERA out of him. He's not a closer going into the year, he's a middle reliever/setup man...if he puts up 4.00/1.25, I will be extremely happy. If he can manage a 3.00/1.10, I will be ecstatic. Anything more, and I would probably have to make manbabies with him.

A healthy Hermanson will put up good numbers and be a leader of the bullpen. He was the one who groomed Jenks for the closer role, giving him advice on how to approach the role. If he stays healthy, he'll play a huge role for the sox in '06 because he can lead by example and bring his bulldog attitude to the park everyday. Even if his numbers rise a little, Dustin will play a big part of the sox success by staying healthy

Left-handers Paulino Reynoso, Armando Almanza and Javier Lopez were singled out by Guillen for the way they threw the ball on Sunday. Guillen plans to use the left-handers in game situations during Cactus League action to help make a final roster decision.

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Feb 18, 2006 -> 09:32 PM)

Left is all right? Despite the desire to carry an extra man in the bullpen, Cooper said Saturday there's no guarantee one of the two remaining relief spots will be filled by a left-hander to join Neal Cotts. With eight lefties battling, though, Cooper would like to think that at least one will step up and earn a job.

"You would like to think there will be a couple of three or four who will jump up and say, 'You really have to give me a look. I'm throwing the ball well and getting guys out,'" Cooper said. "But we aren't going to pin ourselves in a corner, saying we must take a lefty.

"We are going to be taking the 11 or 12 or whatever number we are set on, the 12 best who can get people out. We won't take a lefty for the sake of having a lefty if he's not showing us anything."

Cooper envisions the second lefty as more of a situational to one inning sort of reliever, who could appear in 60 to 70 games.

You can say that again.

http://www.dailyherald.com/sports/whitesox.asp?id=158169

Battle for two bullpen spots will be fierce

By Scot Gregor

Daily Herald Sports Writer

Posted Monday, February 20, 2006

TUCSON, Ariz. — When Sean Tracey spotted Ozzie Guillen on Friday morning, he approached the White Sox’ manager and stated his case.

“I told Ozzie that I’m here to make this team,’’ said the 25-year-old pitcher. “Whatever role it is, it’s fine with me.’’

In 2005, Tracey led the Southern League with 28 starts while going 14-6 with a 4.07 ERA for Class AA Birmingham. But when the Upland, Calif., native reported to the Arizona Fall League, he requested a move to the bullpen.

“Look at the starters (the Sox) have here,’’ Tracey said. “I have to be smart enough to know that my best opportunity to make the team is going to be as a reliever.’’

Mark Buehrle, Jose Contreras, Jon Garland, Freddy Garcia and Javier Vazquez are entrenched in the White Sox’ rotation, and Brandon McCarthy is patiently waiting in the wings.

The Sox are leaning toward breaking camp with a 12-man pitching staff, and McCarthy, Bobby Jenks, Dustin Hermanson, Neal Cotts and Cliff Politte already have bullpen jobs locked up.

Doing some quick math, that leaves two spots up for grabs.

“There are a couple of open spots, and whoever throws the ball better is going to be there,’’ Guillen said.

On Sunday morning, Guillen, general manager Kenny Williams and pitching coach Don Cooper paid surprisingly close attention to a relatively nameless group of pitchers throwing off the mound.

Among the right-handers with realistic shots to make the roster, there was Tracey, Jeff Bajenaru and knuckleballer Charles Haeger. Among the left-handers were Paulino Reynoso, Armando Almanza, side-armer Javier Lopez and Arnie Munoz.

If prior major-league experience counts — and it often does — Bajenaru, Almanza, Lopez, Munoz and Chad Bentz might have a slight edge.

“I saw Reynoso, Almanza throw the ball real well, and Lopez threw the ball real good,’’ Guillen said. “It’s too early to talk about the pitching staff, but as long as they stay healthy and do what they’re supposed to do … They’re not going to make the team now; they have to go out and perform. But I like what I see.’’

If the Sox decide to keep Ross Gload and Joe Borchard as reserve outfielders, there is a chance they’ll go with only 11 pitchers.

“I always want to take 12 pitchers,’’ Cooper said. “But we’re not going to pin ourselves in a corner.’’

It looks like the White Sox want a right-handed reliever to replace Luis Vizcaino, who was traded to Arizona, and a left-hander to replace Damaso Marte, who was traded to Pittsburgh.

Then again, maybe not.

“We’re going to be taking the 11 or 12, whatever we settle on, that can best get people out,’’ Cooper said. “We’re not going to take a lefty for the sake of having a lefty if he’s not showing us anything. But you’d like to think in a group of eight or nine lefties, there are going to be a couple — three or four, hopefully — that step up and say, ‘Listen, you’ve got to really give me a good look.’æ’’

When Cactus League play begins March 1, the Sox will start taking a hard look at what they’ve got in camp.

“You have to put the guys in situations to see how they handle it, how long they can go, how many innings they can give me,’’ Guillen said. “We’ve got to find somebody to take Vizcaino’s role. Vizcaino did a tremendous role for us last year. He helped us all year long. We have to find a guy to fit in that role.’’