Must be Spring Training...

gosox41

I don't expect the Cubs to be in the WS either, but sometimes this criticism of all writers is kind of old. They're the worst thing ever, if they don't say exactly what you want to hear. However, he could write an article tomorrow about the Sox having the best offseason ever, and people will dub him the greatest thing since sliced bread.

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Feb 19, 2006 -> 05:05 PM)
I don't expect the Cubs to be in the WS either, but sometimes this criticism of all writers is kind of old.  They're the worst thing ever, if they don't say exactly what you want to hear.  However, he could write an article tomorrow about the Sox having the best offseason ever, and people will dub him the greatest thing since sliced bread.

The orignal topic starter stated that he likes Phil Rodgers, he's just tired of him doing this same article every year-- and he's right.

Anyway, we won't have to worry about a All-City Series anywtime soon. I don't expect the Cubs to even finish above 4 in their division.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Feb 19, 2006 -> 04:16 PM)
Eh, to be honest, if I were betting on that division I'd pick the Cubs. :ph34r:

That would be one losing ass bet. How do you figure the Cubs over the Cards? Card have the better lineup and bullpen. Play much, much better defense. And I'd even give them the edge rotation wise. If only because you know they'll be healthy for the most part.

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2006 @ Feb 19, 2006 -> 04:27 PM)
That would be one losing ass bet.  How do you figure the Cubs over the Cards?  Card have the better lineup and bullpen.  Play much,  much better defense.  And I'd even give them the edge rotation wise.  If only because you know they'll be healthy for the most part.

The cubs have a better bullpen at this point, and their rotation is better imo. The cards lineup is better but the cubs will have a pretty damn solid lineup this year now that they have an actual leadoff hitter.

QUOTE(WilliamTell @ Feb 19, 2006 -> 04:24 PM)
The Cubs may get over the Astros, but no one seems to be talking about the Brewers. I thinkt he Brewers will be better than the Cubs. 3rd place finish for the Cubs if they're lucky.

Agreed. We all know Sheets is a stud. But the rest of the rotation looks solid. Davis, Ohka, Capuano and Helling makes up a good, not great, rotation. Their offense should be flat out sick. If Kolb can rediscover his 04 magic, he and Turnbow will be a devestating 1-2 combo at the back end of the pen.

The cubs have a better bullpen at this point, and their rotation is better imo.  The cards lineup is better but the cubs will have a pretty damn solid lineup this year now that they have an actual leadoff hitter.

I disagree with the solid lineup comment. They will still have two rookies (Murton & Cedeno) in their lineup and with Dusty as the manager they will see plenty of worthless Neifi at 2nd base, especially if Walker is traded before the season starts. Also, Jock Jones is a mediocre hitter (horrible for a starting RF'er) and horrid against lefties. And I doubt that they will be smart enough to bench him against all lefties like they should. Good rotation (if healthy), strong bullpen, but questionable lineup.

Edited by SSH2005

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Feb 19, 2006 -> 04:31 PM)
The cubs have a better bullpen at this point, and their rotation is better imo.  The cards lineup is better but the cubs will have a pretty damn solid lineup this year now that they have an actual leadoff hitter.

Izzy, Rincon, Looper, Thompson and Flores is better than the Cubs' pen. Unless Wood is healthy "I know, we hear this every year" I don't see how you can say they have a better rotation. He won't even be ready until atleast May. Prior is always an injury risk. Maddux is 50, and always sucks in the first half. Zambrano is a stud. Who's their 5th starter anyway? Is it gonna be Williams?

The offense isn't even close. Let's not forget they dominated that division without Scott Rolen. Now he's back healthy. I seriously doubt Lee has a year like last year. They have major question marks in lf and ss. Pierre will help them only if he's the Pierre of 2003/2004. Jones is probably a downgrade from Burnitz. As sorry as that is.

Edited by Jordan4life_2006

Izzy,  Rincon,  Looper,  Thompson and Flores is better than the Cubs pen.  Unless Wood is healthy "I know,  we hear this every year" I don't see how you can say they have a better rotation.  He won't even be ready until atleast May.  Prior is always an injury risk.  Maddux is 50,  and always sucks in the first half.  Zambrano is a stud.  Who's their 5th starter anyway?  Is it gonna be Williams? 

The offense isn't even close.  Let's not forget they dominated that division without Scott Rolen.  Now he's back healthy.  I seriously doubt Lee has a year like last year.  They have major question marks in lf and ss.  Pierre will help them only if he's the Pierre of 2003/2004.  Jones is probably a downgrade from Burnitz.  As sorry as that is.

Prior isn't really an injury risk. He just has fluke injuries like getting run over by Marcus Giles and getting hit by a line drive. Now Wood? He's injury-prone. And Dusty will make the stupid decision of starting Glendon Rusch over the much better Jerome Williams. But I agree with the rest of your assessment.

Edited by SSH2005

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Feb 19, 2006 -> 04:44 PM)
Prior isn't really an injury risk.  He just has fluke injuries like getting run over by Marcus Giles and getting hit by a line drive. 

those injuries were fairly flukely, but i still think being injured often points to a player being injury prone. collisions and line drives happen in baseball, some players get injured when it happens to them others don't.

QUOTE(mr_genius @ Feb 19, 2006 -> 04:49 PM)
those injuries were fairly flukely, but i still think being injured often  points to a player being injury prone.  collisions and line drives happen in baseball, some players get injured when it happens to them others don't.

That's true. Plus he always has some kinda arm soreness, whether it be before the year or doing it.

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2006 @ Feb 19, 2006 -> 04:40 PM)
Izzy,  Rincon,  Looper,  Thompson and Flores is better than the Cubs' pen.  Unless Wood is healthy "I know,  we hear this every year" I don't see how you can say they have a better rotation.  He won't even be ready until atleast May.  Prior is always an injury risk.  Maddux is 50,  and always sucks in the first half.  Zambrano is a stud.  Who's their 5th starter anyway?  Is it gonna be Williams? 

The offense isn't even close.  Let's not forget they dominated that division without Scott Rolen.  Now he's back healthy.  I seriously doubt Lee has a year like last year.  They have major question marks in lf and ss.  Pierre will help them only if he's the Pierre of 2003/2004.  Jones is probably a downgrade from Burnitz.  As sorry as that is.

Looper is a bum, and Rincon is not much anymore. I'd take Dempster, Eyre, Howry, Wuertz and Ohman over that but that's jmo. As far as question marks in the lineups go, the Cards have no 2b or rf. Both of these teams have some holes. I personally think Murton is going to be a very solid player and if I did have to bet, I'd take the cubs as much as that would pain me to do.

Looper is a bum, and Rincon is not much anymore.  I'd take Dempster, Eyre, Howry, Wuertz and Ohman over that but that's jmo.  As far as question marks in the lineups go, the Cards have no 2b or rf.  Both of these teams have some holes.  I personally think Murton is going to be a very solid player and if I did have to bet, I'd take the cubs as much as that would pain me to do.

Look at their respective splits. Looper is great against righties but horrible against lefties. Rincon is great against lefties but horrible against righties. La Russa will use them the right way and make them productive. He's the master of the righty/lefty matchup game.

Edited by SSH2005

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Feb 19, 2006 -> 05:45 PM)
Looper is a bum, and Rincon is not much anymore.  I'd take Dempster, Eyre, Howry, Wuertz and Ohman over that but that's jmo.  As far as question marks in the lineups go, the Cards have no 2b or rf.  Both of these teams have some holes.  I personally think Murton is going to be a very solid player and if I did have to bet, I'd take the cubs as much as that would pain me to do.

I think Bigbie will be able to hold it down in rf. He had some injuries last year and was never able to really get on track. All he needs to do is repeat his 04 year. Aaron Miles hit .281 last year and .293 the year before that. He'll need to get his obp up to have a maxium effect. Murton and Cedeno have done nothing at the major league level to this point.

As SSH pointed out, Looper and Rincon are money if used properly. Izzy is a sure bet to save 35-40 games. The kid they brought up last year, Brad Thompson, had an excellent year. Flores is filthy against left handed hitters. For the Cubs, Dempster is solid if "and I stress if" he stays healthy. Eyre is a guy that's basically had one good year his entire career. I smell Mike Remlinger part 2. Howry is another guy I wonder about. Yeah, he's had a couple good years. But he's been average to below average his entire career before that. What Howry are they gonna get? Wuertz and Ohman look solid. Big edge to the Cards here.

Every team has some holes. But the Cubs clearly have more. The Cards are pretty much proven. You know what you're getting with them. The Cubs are a complete wildcard. I just don't see how they went from 79 wins last year to a team that could win atleast 95 and the division. They had an average off-season at best.

Edited by Jordan4life_2006

I think Bigbie will be able to hold it down in rf.  He had some injuries last year and was never able to really get on track.  All he needs to do is repeat his 04 year.  Aaron Miles hit .281 last year and .293 the year before that.  He'll need to get his obp up to have a maxium effect.  Murton and Cedeno have done nothing at the major league level to this point.

Juan Encarnacion will be their starting RF'er. LF will be a Spring Training competition between Larry Bigbie, John Rodriguez, and So Taguchi. 2B will be a competition between Hector Luna, Aaron Miles, and Junior Spivey. Spivey will likely win the job.

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Feb 19, 2006 -> 08:07 PM)
Juan Encarnacion will be their starting RF'er.  LF will be a Spring Training competition between Larry Bigbie, John Rodriguez, and So Taguchi.  2B will be a competition between Hector Luna, Aaron Miles, and Junior Spivey.  Spivey will likely win the job.

I stand corrected. I forgot about Encarnacion. I think he's even a better fit.. I agree that Spivey will probably win the job.