Must be Spring Training...

gosox41

With the Cubs it's all about pitching health.

If Wood and/or Wade Miller give them anything this year, they can win the weak NL Central.

The Cardinals have lost most of their middle bullpen, 2nd base is weaker (Junior Spivey and Aaron Miles), and their corner outfield spots are up for grabs. Rolen's health is a question mark, too.

The Astros are weaker IMO, and the Brewers are a year or two and a starter or two away.

If the Cubs get off to a good start, I can definitely see them contending for the Central. Beyond that, I don't think so.

QUOTE(The Critic @ Feb 20, 2006 -> 07:19 AM)
With the Cubs it's all about pitching health.

If Wood and/or Wade Miller give them anything this year, they can win the weak NL Central.

The Cardinals have lost most of their middle bullpen, 2nd base is weaker (Junior Spivey and Aaron Miles), and their corner outfield spots are up for grabs. Rolen's health is a question mark, too.

The Astros are weaker IMO, and the Brewers are a year or two and a starter or two away.

If the Cubs get off to a good start, I can definitely see them contending for the Central. Beyond that, I don't think so.

There's your real key. The Cards won 100 games last year without Scott Rolen. They get Rolen back and get almost a full, productive season out of him...and suddenly it won't matter that they've lost strength at their corner outfield slots. He doesn't come back strong, or he spends significant time on the DL, and it'll come down to Pujols, Carpenter, Mulder, and Izzy. That may still be enough to win that division, but that'll depend a lot on the luck of the other teams. Yadier Molina could also be mighty important...lot of room for improvement with the bat for that 23 year old.