Cubs, White Sox, & Red Sox scouting Juan Gone

SSH2005

This is from a Puerto Rican newspaper:

http://www.endi.com/2006/02/19/Deportes/37...date=2006/02/19

Low evaluation Igor

CATAÑO - The Cubs of Chicago were last week evaluating the physical condition of the toletero Juan ‘Igor' González, like prelude to a possible contracting.

The forest ranger vegabajeño explained that the evaluation was in charge of Carmel Martínez, leader of league less than the Cubs. 

“The Cubs sent to Carmel Martínez to observe me and especially what wanted was to see me to run.  I did a few ‘swings' and I ran the bases.  Carmel remained very satisfied.  Still there is not an offering because they first wanted to see me”, said González to The New Day after participating in the inauguration of the Small Leagues in Cataño. 

González, who practices daily in the park of Toa Low, maintained besides that the champions world White Averages of Chicago and the Red Averages of Boston have also shown interest in their services. 

In case to sign with the Cubs, González, of 36 years, would be playing for the first time in its career in the National League and would not have the benefit of being the batter appointed. 

“If I have to go the National League, I will do it.  With that there is no problem.  I am in the best condition of my life and they will know that time of play to give me”, added González to whom diverse physical problems have limited it to barely 186 parties in the past four seasons.  Last year had a serious wound in the ‘hamstring' and only consumed an offensive shift in all the campaign playing for the Indians of Cleveland. 

Exactly, with that ninth González understood that was going to return after a promise of the general manager Mark Shapiro.  Nevertheless, recently the team announced that the boricua was not in its plans. 

“I spoke personally face to face with the manager (Shapiro) and told me that was going to have an invitation for this year.  I always say that the word of a man is worth most of all.  If me did not they be going to invite was better than me they told it since the principle but already that passed”. 

González, maximum jonronero boricua in the Greater, accepted that is crossing for a critical moment in its career al the same as the stellar one toletero Dominican Sammy Dull, who rejected an offering of the National of Washington of $500,000 by a season and, alegadamente, is considering to be withdrawn. 

“One must be realists.  To players as we no longer are going to give us large offerings.  We have to accept the reality that the market for us is not as before by the age.  Besides he comes from a bad season and I have not played.  Sammy is a great ballplayer that has worked very hard and I I can give faith of it.  In spite of the situation of the cork and the steroids use allegations, has had a brilliant career.  If the it decides to be withdrawn one must respect its decision.  To me at this time it does not matter to me the money.  I what want is to play and to achieve some goals.  If not a contract appears I will be tranquil and happy because I arrived at where wanted and I achieved many things that did not think about my life that was going to achieve them”, expressed González. 

On the other hand, on the decision of the short field Felipe López of attend not al Classical World of Baseball, González declared “they as go passing the days many ballplayers are going to say that they are not going to play for fear to be injured and that later the organization themselves it reproach.  If it is the guarantee of Major League Baseball there is not reason to say not, but those are personal decisions of each player and one must respect them.  Our team continues being very well.  As I have always said, all the ones that are there are grandesligas and they are good.  In the roles any desire but where is decided is in the land of play”. 

Although González not yet officially has been included in the roster of 30 players, is anticipated that will be seeing action in the Classic. 

It opens the season of Small Leagues

YESTERDAY it was inaugurated the season 2006 of the Small Leagues of Cataño in the park of Bay View. 

In the tournament they will participate more than 30 teams in diverse categories among the ages from 5 to 16 years.  The tournament extends to the summer and will serve of prelude to the World Series Willie Mays that will be celebrated of the 26 al 30 of July in Cataño. 

The stellar one grandesligas Juan ‘Igor' González had to its charge to do the launch of honor in the inaugural ceremony. 

You figure as Guillermo Montañez, Mako Olive-growing and Carlos Baerga, among others, they have been product of the Small Leagues of this municipality.

FreeTranslation.com has a problem with the following words so here's the proper translation:

"forest ranger" = scout

"White Averages" = White Sox

"Red Averages" = Red Sox

"Sammy Dull" = Sammy Sosa

"batter appointed" = designated hitter

Edited by SSH2005

QUOTE(Cuck the Fubs @ Feb 19, 2006 -> 05:40 PM)
He would be a good signing for any team if it was the minimum pay w/ incintives. Low-risk, high-reward. He's hurt, oh well, 400,000. He must be b****ing right now about turning down that 8 year 148M contract.

I get so sick of people saying that about players like Gonzalez.

I can spend $1 each on the powerball and Mega Millions and win around $550 million.

The odds of me winning both lotteries are probably equal to, if not greater than, Juan-Gon being healthy in a season.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Feb 19, 2006 -> 10:26 PM)
Well, I'd rather have him starting if he's healthy.  That just can't even be considered an if anymore.  He can't stay healthy, period.

Well if healthy, I'd like him to DH so we could give Thome and PK complete days off without having to do a thing without sacrificing our lineup.

He would come very cheap. Cheaper than Timo. If he accepted the fact he was a 4th outfielder, pinch hitter, and a once in a while DH against tough left handers, he might not be a bad guy to have around. There is no way you could count on him for a full season, but picking his spots, if he hit like he hit in 2003, he would be excellent.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Feb 20, 2006 -> 11:58 PM)
He would come very cheap. Cheaper than Timo. If he accepted the fact he was a 4th outfielder, pinch hitter, and a once in a while DH against tough left handers, he might not be a bad guy to have around. There is no way you could count on him for a full season, but picking his spots, if he hit like he hit in 2003, he would be excellent.

See my thinking is this. Borch may never get it. But I still think he would provide the same amount of power, that Gonzalez would (and then you've got to take into consideration Gone's injury problems).

And with the whole roids issue, I think the Sox are probably gonna stay away, but that's JMHO.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Feb 20, 2006 -> 07:06 AM)
See my thinking is this. Borch may never get it. But I still think he would provide the same amount of power, that Gonzalez would (and then you've got to take into consideration Gone's injury problems).

And with the whole roids issue, I think the Sox are probably gonna stay away, but that's JMHO.

You may be right, but KW has been on Juan's tail for a few years. If that Ordonez/Garciaparra trade would have happened a couple of years ago, Gonzalez would have been Magglio's replacement. As to the roids issue, one of minor leaguers the Sox signed and invited to camp was the first player MLB suspended for roids last season. I do think if the Sox were really considering this, we would have heard more about it by now.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Feb 20, 2006 -> 11:06 AM)
The chances of Juan Gonzalez staying healthy are as great as me becoming the next President of the United States.  :bang

And I remember some people actually thought Cleveland made a good move in signing him last season.

Well not exactly... id say chances are maybe 20% he will stay healthy majority of season 80% he is an injured bum. While ever if u were the greatest man on earth you have 0% to be president :P

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Feb 19, 2006 -> 11:31 PM)
Well if healthy, I'd like him to DH so we could give Thome and PK complete days off without having to do a thing without sacrificing our lineup.

I'm against Juan Gone. He's a bum.

But for those that want him, let me understand the logic. The Sox need an old rgiht handed power hitter? Why didn't they just being back Frank? Juan playing defense is a joke. Both are injury prone. Juan is washed up, but if Frank is healthy, watch out.

Bob