Cubs, White Sox, & Red Sox scouting Juan Gone

SSH2005

Agreed, if we needed him, frank woulda been a much better option, id be pretty mad if they took juan gon, and let frank go.

Frank is a better hitter than Juan Gone but Gonzalez can actually play the outfield. Frank can't play a position so Gonzalez would be the better bench option of the two. Unfortunately, neither can stay healthy.

Is taking a flier on Juan Gone worth maybe $600,000 at the most (what the Indians paid him last season)? Maybe. Afterall, Timo and Ben Davis each earned a million a piece last season and Davis didn't even play. Of course, Juan Gone is said to be a team cancer so that would be enough of a reason not to want him around even if he could stay healthy.

Edited by SSH2005

Frank wasn't going to take a role as a bench player. Gonzalez will (likely) have to.

Gonzalez looks like a better option as 4th (5th w/ Mackowiak in the equation) outfielder than Borchard or Grieve. But he's also the most easily injured player in baseball at the moment.

I'd take him on a minor league contract but you just can't expect him to help you.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseb...-sportscubs-hed

Cubs take pass on Gonzalez

Paul Sullivan

Published February 22, 2006

MESA, Ariz. -- The Cubs worked out veteran outfielder Juan Gonzalez in Puerto Rico last week but decided not to offer him an invitation to spring training.

Gonzalez, 36, has 434 career home runs, but played in only one game for Cleveland last year and has been injury-prone for much of his career.

I see no problems with this...

Charlotte might need OFers

Juan Gone would probably want to at least compete for a bench job. He would probably just want to be released if he didn't make the 25-man roster at the end of Spring Training. I doubt he would agree to play for Charlotte.

Edited by SSH2005

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Feb 22, 2006 -> 10:21 AM)
Juan Gone would probably want to at least compete for a bench job.  He would probably just want to be released if he didn't make the 25-man roster at the end of Spring Training.  I doubt he would agree to play for Charlotte.

Not all jokes have to be green :bang I thought that one would be pretty obvious.

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb...t=.jsp&c_id=cws
Rumor control: A story in Sunday's Periodico El Nuevo Dia de Puerto Rico claimed the White Sox were one of a small group of teams that had expressed interest in free agent outfielder Juan Gonzalez. On Wednesday, a source in the White Sox organization said the team was not interested in the slugger with 434 career home runs, who had exactly one at-bat with Cleveland in 2005 because of a hamstring injury, but stated in the article that he's in the best physical condition of his life.

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Feb 21, 2006 -> 03:02 AM)
Frank is a better hitter than Juan Gone but Gonzalez can actually play the outfield.  Frank can't play a position so Gonzalez would be the better bench option of the two.  Unfortunately, neither can stay healthy.

If I had to make an assumption, I would assume that you'd want Juan playing the OF about as much as you'd want Frank playing at 1B...any given batted ball at them could be their last play for the season.

I'm just not sure it's even worth the risk. Go with Borchard, atleast Borchard can play all 3 OF positions while staying healthy.

Aren't players always "in the best shape of their career" after a major injury?

Like I said earlier, I saw Juan Gone in street clothes on a Spanish channel a few days ago. He was freaking ripped. I believe the report. I actually thought he may have gotten back on the roids again or something. But being in great shape doesn't mean that his hamstring won't snap like a dry twig again.