Report: Bonds retiring after 2006

SSH2005

http://sanfrancisco.giants.mlb.com/NASApp/...xt=.jsp&c_id=sf

Report: Bonds retiring after 2006

Slugger says he will quit with or without home run record

Barry Bonds told USA Today on Sunday that he will retire after the 2006 season with or without breaking Hank Aaron's all-time home run record, which he is 47 home runs away from tying.

The Giants left fielder played in only 14 games last season as he battled knee problems. He will earn $18 million in 2006 in the final season of a five-year, $90 million contract.

"I'm not playing baseball anymore after this," Bonds told USA Today in a telephone interview. "The game [isn't] fun anymore. I'm tired of all of the crap going on. I want to play this year out, hopefully win, and once the season is over, go home and be with my family. Maybe then everybody can just forget about me."

Bonds has won a record seven National League Most Valuable Player Awards. He set the single-season home run mark with 73 long balls in 2001.

The 42-year-old won four consecutive MVPs before an injury-marred 2005 season. He batted .286 with five home runs to put his total at 708, third all-time and six homers behind Babe Ruth.

Good riddance, roider.

Barry's real comments:

"I'm not playing baseball anymore after this," Bonds told USA Today in a telephone interview. "The game [isn't] fun anymore without steroids. I'm tired of all of this steroid testing going on. I want to play this year out, hopefully win with the benefit of steroids, and once the season is over, go home and be with my family. Maybe then everybody can just forget that I used steroids."

QUOTE(The Critic @ Feb 19, 2006 -> 04:56 PM)
Here's to an embarrassing Sammy-like 2006 season and shameful bitter combative retirement.

Maybe he can have his kids hold up signs saying "Please Let My Daddy Break Aaron's Record".... :puke

Don't count on it. He is an incredible hitter.

QUOTE(jphat007 @ Feb 19, 2006 -> 05:01 PM)
Don't count on it. He is an incredible hitter.

An incredible hitter who PROBABLY could've done most of what he's done without "chemical enhancement".

Sadly, we'll never know.

He's also an incredible douche. THAT he accomplished all on his own.

QUOTE(The Critic @ Feb 19, 2006 -> 03:08 PM)
An incredible hitter who PROBABLY could've done most of what he's done without "chemical enhancement".

Sadly, we'll never know.

I don't believe that at all. If you assume he didn't use the juice until the balls started flying like crazy off of his bat in like 2000, he probably would have hit somewhere between 500-600 home runs in his career. But, since there are plenty of steroids out there which make you stronger but don't make you explode...if he was willing to use the cream & the clear, why should we believe that he didn't use any sort of enhancement in his first decade in baseball?

QUOTE(The Critic @ Feb 19, 2006 -> 05:08 PM)

Sadly, we'll never know.

He's also an incredible douche. THAT he accomplished all on his own.

i disagree....hes an incredible hitter, and a hall of famer without roids probably, but 73 and 700 wouldnt happen without em

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Feb 19, 2006 -> 05:11 PM)
I don't believe that at all.  If you assume he didn't use the juice until the balls started flying like crazy off of his bat in like 2000, he probably would have hit somewhere between 500-600 home runs in his career.  But, since there are plenty of steroids out there which make you stronger but don't make you explode...if he was willing to use the cream & the clear, why should we believe that he didn't use any sort of enhancement in his first decade in baseball?

Maybe he did, but he didn't appear freakishly large.

Plus, he was a base stealer and a more complete player when younger.

I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt for his Pittsburgh years at least.

QUOTE(The Critic @ Feb 19, 2006 -> 03:12 PM)
Maybe he did, but he didn't appear freakishly large.

Plus, he was a base stealer and a more complete player when younger.

I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt for his Pittsburgh years at least.

Rafael Palmeiro never appeared freakishly large either. There are plenty of steroids out there which can help you add muscle mass but in a limited fashion, that can keep you healthier and make you recover faster from all those bases you steal, maybe help your eyes a bit, etc, and do so without turning you into a ripped giant.

QUOTE(daa84 @ Feb 19, 2006 -> 05:11 PM)
i disagree....hes an incredible hitter, and a hall of famer without roids probably, but 73 and 700 wouldnt happen without em

Yeah, that's why I said "most" of what he's done.

I think 55-60 for a season would have still been possible for him naturally, with expansion/terrible pitching/etc., but as I said we will never know.

The "douche factor" is indisputable, though.

:D

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Feb 19, 2006 -> 05:14 PM)
Rafael Palmeiro never appeared freakishly large either.  There are plenty of steroids out there which can help you add muscle mass but in a limited fashion, that can keep you healthier and make you recover faster from all those bases you steal, maybe help your eyes a bit, etc, and do so without turning you into a ripped giant.

Palmeiro's game never changed dramatically either, though.

He was always pretty much the same type of player, which is why I was quite surprised when he turned out to be a juicer.

I'd be surprised if it ever came out that Bonds juiced in Pittsburgh.

QUOTE(The Critic @ Feb 19, 2006 -> 06:17 PM)
Palmeiro's game never changed dramatically either, though.

He was always pretty much the same type of player, which is why I was quite surprised when he turned out to be a juicer.

I'd be surprised if it ever came out that Bonds juiced in Pittsburgh.

Look at the HR numbers jump from '92-'93. 1992 was the year Canseco was traded to the Rangers.

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Feb 19, 2006 -> 06:17 PM)
How so?  Did Bonds not use roids?  What did I fabricate?

It was just a joke, lol.

The quote wasn't real. You make all these cute nicknames and fabricate all this stuff. For example, that Timo story from a couple weeks back.

It's hard to believe if you'd have an opinion on anything if Rotoworld didn't exist.

Yeah, but look at the MLB totals between those two seasons:

AL NL MLB Year

1,776 1,262 3,038 1992

2,074 1,956 4,030 1993

You could make the argument that Palmeiro's jump was indicative of a wider league-wide jump in power.

I'M not necessarily making that argument, just saying it could be made.

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Feb 19, 2006 -> 05:15 PM)
It's post like this that make you deserve all the s*** you get, Jabroni. 

I don't even like Bonds.  I hate the guy, but I hate you fabricating BS too.

i thought the fake bonds quote was hilarious and called for.

QUOTE(The Critic @ Feb 19, 2006 -> 03:23 PM)
Yeah, but look at the MLB totals between those two seasons:

AL        NL      MLB    Year

1,776  1,262  3,038  1992

2,074  1,956  4,030  1993

You could make the argument that Palmeiro's jump was indicative of a wider league-wide jump in power.

I'M not necessarily making that argument, just saying it could be made.

You could also say that the league wide jump in power totals could be related to the same force which drove palmeiro's numbers.

The quote wasn't real.  You make all these cute nicknames and fabricate all this stuff.  For example, that Timo story from a couple weeks back. 

It's hard to believe if you'd have an opinion on anything if Rotoworld didn't exist.

I would hope that no one thought that silly quote was real. One would have to be truly naive to believe that Bonds would have said what a typed. I didn't really think that green was necessary but I guess it was.

My opinion on Bonds is that he is a great hitter that probably never even needed to take steroids but he did and his career is now tarnished as a result. Anyone who defends Bonds should also be prepared to defend Sosa. But there's actually proof that Bonds took roids while there is none that Sosa took them. That's just my opinion and I didn't even read it on Rotoworld.