Royce Ring makes BA Prospect List

Cerbaho-WG

Ring is just scary dominant judging by the stats,,,,Valentine who?

Are Pacheco/Cotts/Honel/Rauch/Yofu on the list as well?

Yofu will likely never make that list due to age. Pacheco was so unknown at the beginning of the season that it might be hard to climb onto that list. Rauch may or may not be a prime candidate since he has some big league time and is considered a mature prospect. This list is generally for up-and-comers.

Honel, Reed and Cotts are more likely, with even the possibility of Yan.

Ring is just scary dominant judging by the stats,,,,Valentine who?

Are Pacheco/Cotts/Honel/Rauch/Yofu on the list as well?

Yofu will likely never make that list due to age. Pacheco was so unknown at the beginning of the season that it might be hard to climb onto that list. Rauch may or may not be a prime candidate since he has some big league time and is considered a mature prospect. This list is generally for up-and-comers.

Honel, Reed and Cotts are more likely, with even the possibility of Yan.

Tex, I read a while back that Yofu throws 7 pitches, one of which is a fastball that he can get up to 92-93+ when he really wants to on these boards. Plus, Asian pitchers have rock-solid mechanics and even better mental prepation.

It made him sound like an Oriental Pedro....any validity to that?

Also, Chisoxfan said Pacheco throw in high-90s...Is any truth to that or is it just another smoke-n-mirror Soxspeak where they confuse "high" with "low"...?

Thanks.

Pacheco does NOT throw in the upper 90s.

This list BA has is the top 12 hottest prospects for all 30 teams, so not likely to have more than one individual on it at one time, to have one on it and 1 on the honorable mention list if very good. Most weeks we have no one on it.

Pacheco does NOT throw in the upper 90s.

This list BA has is the top 12 hottest prospects for all 30 teams, so not likely to have more than one individual on it at one time, to have one on it and 1 on the honorable mention list if very good. Most weeks we have no one on it.

I heard he threw in the mid 90's?

What is his velocity. I remember Bullard mentioning that he had an explosive fastball that was in the mid 90's, don't remember the exact velocity. Then again maybe I remember it wrong, lol.

I wouldn't say Asians have rock solid mechanics. Nomo is far from rock solid as is Ishii. They do tend to have rubber arms, but thats just based on a small sample so I can't really say that for sure.

From what I noticed, they all seem to have rather funky deliveries, just none like Nomo's. Also, if you watch Chan Ho Park pitch you'll see he has terrible mechanics too.

Guest hotsoxchick1
Who would you rather have on the staff, Ring or Rick White?

oh come on now.. thats not even a fair question... hell i would rather have clayton back instead of white on the team...........and i hated clayton..............navarro would be a vast imporvement over white ;)

I wouldn't say Asians have rock solid mechanics.  Nomo is far from rock solid as is Ishii.  They do tend to have rubber arms, but thats just based on a small sample so I can't really say that for sure.

From what I noticed, they all seem to have rather funky deliveries, just none like Nomo's.  Also, if you watch Chan Ho Park pitch you'll see he has terrible mechanics too.

That's because of the way they're brought up pitching over there (I lived there for 8 years of my life). The kids are used ALL THE TIME... very little regard to the well-being of the pitcher. If you make it (as a starter), odds are that you've got a very durable arm. Goes along with the whole "pitch count" thing we hear all the time now... if you're trained to toss 130 a game, you're going to do that, but only if you survive getting there... and the Japanese starters you see in the states have "survived," so to speak. That's my view on it anyway.

Has Munoz looked any better lately?  He was awful in April and I haven't heard anything since.  On Ring, I think if he keeps up anywhere near the pace he has been at he will get a September cup of tea.

I believe he had a couple of bad outings in early april but has been solid since.

Correct, Almonte is struggling, Arnie has been better of late, bet his May ERA is decent.

Chisoxfn, I doubt Pacheco throws in mid 90's, guess Rex would know for sure, anyway, whenever they say one of our prospects throws in mid-90s they never do when they arrive :-) I would bet Pacheco is low 90s, but he has been very impressive, last year when we made all those vets for prospects trades, I gave him the least chance to ever make it (besides Adkins). He is making a liar out of me.

Arnie Munoz - day by day

I'd say he is doing quite well after those three early bad outings...

Charlotte INTERNATIONAL LEAGUE (AAA) 2003

DATE G# OPP H/R DEC GS GF CG IP H AB TBF R ER HR BB SO WP BK

04/03/03 RMD H 0.2 4 6 7 5 5 2 1 1

04/06/03 RMD H 2.0 5 10 12 4 4 2 2

04/12/03 IND R 0.1 1 2 3 1

04/15/03 LOU H 2.0 3 9 10 3 3 2 1 2

04/19/03 2 IND H 1 1.0 3 3

04/29/03 DUR H 0.2 1 3 3 1 1

05/01/03 ROC H 1.0 3 3 2

05/04/03 ROC H 1.2 5 5 3

05/05/03 SYR H W 1 0.2 1 1 1

05/07/03 1 SYR H 0.2 2 2

05/07/03 2 SYR H 0.1 1 2 1 1 1

05/09/03 TOL R 0.2 1 4 4 1 2

05/14/03 COL R 1 1.1 3 5 2

05/16/03 COL R 1 1.0 1 4 4 1

05/18/03 2 SWB H 1.0 1 4 4

05/20/03 SWB H 0.2 1 3 3 2

05/27/03 DUR R 1.0 3 3 2

W- L- S ERA GP IP H AB AVG TBF R ER HR BB SO WP BK

TOTALS 1- 0- 0 7.56 17 16.2 18 66 .273 74 16 14 4 7 17 1 0

April 0- 0- 0 17.55 6 6.2 14 33 .424 38 14 13 4 4 5 0 0

May 1- 0- 0 0.90 11 10.0 4 33 .121 36 2 1 0 3 12 1 0

Given Ring's age and performance, my guess is that the only reason he isn't on the team right now is the plethora of lefthanded relief pitching the Sox have (Marte, Wunsch, Sanders, Porzio, Munoz, even Cotts).

Which is an utter failure by Kenny Williams. Let's see, you have a ton of lefthanded relievers, and it's probably pretty likely that people would be willing to overpay for a couple of them. What to do, what to do, what to do?

(Hint: "Mr. Cashman, how about Nick Johnson for Marte, Gordon and Konerko?")

Given Ring's age and performance, my guess is that the only reason he isn't on the team right now is the plethora of lefthanded relief pitching the Sox have (Marte, Wunsch, Sanders, Porzio, Munoz, even Cotts).

Which is an utter failure by Kenny Williams.  Let's see, you have a ton of lefthanded relievers, and it's probably pretty likely that people would be willing to overpay for a couple of them.  What to do, what to do, what to do?

(Hint: "Mr. Cashman, how about Nick Johnson for Marte, Gordon and Konerko?")

But you can never have enough pitching...nevermind if your system is devoid of ready made positional talent...