Houston Police Wants Cameras in Apts.

LowerCaseRepublican

http://www.heralddemocrat.com/articles/200...ews/state01.txt

Houston’s police chief proposed Wednesday placing surveillance cameras in apartment complexes, downtown streets, shopping malls, and even private homes as a way of combatting crime with a shortage of police officers.

“I know a lot of people are concerned about Big Brother, but my response to that is if you are not doing anything wrong, why should you worry about it?”

--

Um...I worry about it because of the UNITED STATES CONSTITUTION, you soft-headed moron. If you want to intrude into peoples' privacy, get a f***ing warrant.

QUOTE(LowerCaseRepublican @ Feb 19, 2006 -> 06:28 PM)

Houston’s police chief proposed Wednesday placing surveillance cameras in apartment complexes, downtown streets, shopping malls, and even private homes as a way of combatting crime with a shortage of police officers.

“I know a lot of people are concerned about Big Brother, but my response to that is if you are not doing anything wrong, why should you worry about it?”

--

Um...I worry about it because of the UNITED STATES CONSTITUTION, you soft-headed moron.  If you want to intrude into peoples' privacy, get a f***ing warrant.

yea, that is bs. i can understand having cameras in public areas (even though i don't like the idea) but private homes is way too much.

chicago has those police cameras all over in bad neighborhoods

QUOTE(LowerCaseRepublican @ Feb 19, 2006 -> 06:28 PM)

--

Um...I worry about it because of the UNITED STATES CONSTITUTION, you soft-headed moron.  If you want to intrude into peoples' privacy, get a f***ing warrant.

Pffft -- the Constiution? That's so last century. Conform or die, you America hater.

QUOTE(Rex Kickass @ Feb 19, 2006 -> 11:39 PM)
Daley wants em in bars and other businesses open til 4AM. It won't really stop crime. And its a bad way to do it.

yea, that sounds very intrusive. if the bar owner wants to put cameras in his/her own establishment that is their right, but to force it is bs

QUOTE(mr_genius @ Feb 19, 2006 -> 11:43 PM)
yea, that sounds very intrusive. if the bar owner wants to put cameras in his/her own establishment that is their right, but to force it is bs

I'm not sure, but I thought he wanted cameras outside of those bars??

I have no problem with them in public area's. If by apartment complex's he means in the parking lots or cameras facing the doors....then I'm all for it. If he means inside the halls and such I'd say no.

We just have to give up our freedoms or the terrorists and criminals will win. Everyone will be ok with their every move in public video taped. Plus, think how great American's Funniest Hoe Videos will be with everything you do in public recorded.

QUOTE(Controlled Chaos @ Feb 20, 2006 -> 02:24 PM)
I'm not sure, but I thought he wanted cameras outside of those bars??

I have no problem with them in public area's.  If by apartment complex's he means in the parking lots or cameras facing the doors....then I'm all for it.  If he means inside the halls and such I'd say no.

From what i've read it isn't clear if the cameras would have to be in the bar or not. One thing that does seem clear is that the bar owner would be responsible to purchase the equipment (which is nonsense). Hey, if they don't want a camera on their building they should be able to make that choice. This is WAY too much government control for my taste.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2006-0...o-cameras_x.htm

QUOTE(Texsox @ Feb 20, 2006 -> 08:23 PM)
We just have to give up our freedoms or the terrorists and criminals will win. Everyone will be ok with their every move in public video taped. Plus, think how great American's Funniest Hoe Videos will be with everything you do in public recorded.

I can't believe so many are "okay" with constant public surveillance. This, to me, is much scarier than the warrantless monitoring of overseas phone calls.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Feb 21, 2006 -> 12:30 PM)
I can't believe so many are "okay" with constant public surveillance.  This, to me, is much scarier than the warrantless monitoring of overseas phone calls.

It just makes me wonder if these samethings were happening in say largely Republican areas, if we would be hearing more outrage about this. Instead we have two Democratic mayors in largely democratic towns, and there is nothing.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Feb 21, 2006 -> 11:49 AM)
It just makes me wonder if these samethings were happening in say largely Republican areas, if we would be hearing more outrage about this.  Instead we have two Democratic mayors in largely democratic towns, and there is nothing.

And, in another thread, you mentioned irony. How ironic is that?