Rotation Order

GreatScott82

What should the rotation order look like?  

91 members have voted

1. 1. What should the rotation order look like?

• Buerhle, Garland, Contreras, Garcia, Vazquez
    • Buerhle, Contreras, Garland, Garcia, Vazquez
    • Buerhle, Garcia, Garland, Contreras, Vazquez
    • Buerhle, Garland, Garcia, Vazquez, Contreras
    • Buerhle, Vazquez, Garland, Contreras, Garcia
    • Buerhle, Garland, Garcia, Contreras, Vazquez
    • It doesn't matter what the order is, its the best rotation in baseball!

QUOTE(ZoomSlowik @ Feb 20, 2006 -> 01:49 PM)
Personally, I'd go Buehrle-Garcia-Contreras-Garland-Vazquez, which isn't a choice on your poll. I think the first two are your veterans and have been more consistent in the past, Contreras goes before Garland because he is more dominating when he's going well, and Vazquez last in large part because he's the new guy. You could easily move things around though.

You gotta love this rotation, considering that even your number 5 can be an ace type pitcher for long stretches.

^^^^^^

for about the same reasons.

Buerhle, I can't imagine anyone else. By the time he finishes his career, we'll be saying we saw the greatest Sox hitter and greatest Sox pitcher in our lifetime.

Garcia, confidence.

Contreras, strong finish last season, but over their careers, I feel better about Garcia. But you can throw both names in a hat and pick either one.

Garland

Vasquez

Again, throw both names in and take your pick. The back of the order suited Garland last season, and I don't see where moving him up helps anybody.

Buehrle-Garcia-Contreras-Vazquez-Garland.

It's not an available option, and I don't see Ozzie starting Vazquez ahead of Garland based on his importance to the team last year, but Garland could pick up some easy wins going up against the other team's 4th and 5th starters as he did in '05.

Regardless, the rotation order is only meaningful through the first month and a half of the season. After that, and maybe even earlier, the pitching matchups (i.e. #1 vs. #1) become random anyway.

Outside of possibly Buehrle, the starters should have statistically similar seasons this year.

I think that years ago a team set its rotation from the best to the worse and that was either the days of the four pitcher rotation or now where we see five pitchers. I think the Sox legitimetly have 6 starters. Anyway in todays game you wonder if it makes any real difference how they start. I do agree with giving Buerhle the opening day start though because he is the best of the group and has earned it. But after that it might be more match ups then anything else.

QUOTE(hammerhead johnson @ Feb 20, 2006 -> 05:43 PM)
1. Contreras

2. Buehrle

3. Garcia

4. Garland

5. Vazquez

I will go with last year's team MVP, Jose Contreras.

And if the search function still worked, people could make me look really bad, because I used to talk all kinds of s*** about Contreras.

Team MVP...interesting.

I think that is not necessarily true.

Buehrle, Contreras, Garcia, Garland, Vazquez for me

QUOTE(NYSox35 @ Feb 21, 2006 -> 02:41 AM)
Team MVP...interesting.

I think that is not necessarily true.

Well....

If not Contreras, then who? I doubt that we'd have even made the playoffs if not for what he did after the All Star Break.

11-2

1.14 WHIP

2.96 ERA

He won 8 consecutive starts to close out the season, and then he went 3-1 in the playoffs.

QUOTE(hammerhead johnson @ Feb 20, 2006 -> 09:50 PM)
Well....

If not Contreras, then who?  I doubt that we'd have even made the playoffs if not for what he did after the All Star Break.

11-2

1.14 WHIP

2.96 ERA

He won 8 consecutive starts to close out the season, and then he went 3-1 in the playoffs.

Hmm...yeah he was definitely the man... I'm not saying you're wrong, I just mean I think it could've been Paulie, Mark, or even JG.

QUOTE(NYSox35 @ Feb 20, 2006 -> 09:01 PM)
Hmm...yeah he was definitely the man... I'm not saying you're wrong, I just mean I think it could've been Paulie, Mark, or even JG.

Konerko would be the first to admit that the emergence of Contreras was more vital to the team's success than his 40 homer season. Mark and Jon showed us the way in the first half. In the second half, it was the Jose Contreras show. He carried us when everybody else in the rotation outside of Bmac struggled.

What everyone is forgetting is that we may deal Contreras. if thats the case do you want Bmac inserted in the rotation going up against mainly number 1s and number 2s or something slighty down the order. I figure if the Count opens up as the number 4 it will tell more about their plans on keeping him through the season or dishing him by the trade deadline.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Feb 22, 2006 -> 03:55 PM)
What everyone is forgetting is that we may deal Contreras.  if thats the case do you want Bmac inserted in the rotation going up against mainly number 1s and number 2s or something slighty down the order.  I figure if the Count opens up as the number 4 it will tell more about their plans on keeping him through the season or dishing him by the trade deadline.

We aren't trading JC unless someone overwhelms KW with a deal. Something I don't think is going to happen.

QUOTE(jphat007 @ Feb 20, 2006 -> 01:42 PM)
i voted for 2 because in the first week I'd rather have Freddy open on the road. It really doesn't matter though, this year is totally different and he may be great at home and terrible on the road. You just never know.

Actually, thats a great point... wish i had my vote back

QUOTE(WilliamTell @ Feb 22, 2006 -> 06:53 PM)
I'd like to see Buehrle, Garcia, Contreras, Vazquez, Garland

I also want Garland back as our #5 only because he relished in that role last year. Considering that all of these pitchers are at least #2's in any other system, I could care less what order they are.

But, if I suppose if I was the manager, I would make it:

Buehrle, Contreras, Garcia, Vazquez, then Garland.

QUOTE(ZoomSlowik @ Feb 20, 2006 -> 02:49 PM)
Personally, I'd go Buehrle-Garcia-Contreras-Garland-Vazquez, which isn't a choice on your poll. I think the first two are your veterans and have been more consistent in the past, Contreras goes before Garland because he is more dominating when he's going well, and Vazquez last in large part because he's the new guy. You could easily move things around though.

You gotta love this rotation, considering that even your number 5 can be an ace type pitcher for long stretches.

Yep.

I don't care how good '05 was for Garland and Contreras (well half of 05'), they're not better overall pitchers than steady Freddy. I wouldn't be surprised to see Contreras slip to the 5th slot late in the season.....if he's still around.

Edited by LosMediasBlancas

The only way I can see us trading JC is right before the trade deadline. AND it will only be because KW is patching a hole caused from a potential injury or a dissappointment in regards to Anderson's play out in CF. If those 2 things dont occur JC isn't going anywhere. In fact I can see him being an allstar this year. He found himself in the 2nd half last season, he is comfortable here in Chi-town, and like Ozzie says: "He's got the nastiest stuff in our rotation". Why the hell would you want to trade a guy like that?

The Titan of Bronze! One of the most under rated pitchers in baseball!