Baseball Prospectus: "Prior has shoulder problems"

whitesoxfan101

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Feb 20, 2006 -> 02:38 PM)
As reported on the Score by the guy who wrote the article.

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:

You can't have spring training anymore without pitcher problems or at least rumors of said problems. Those usually start with the Cubs, and this year is no different. Reliable sources--the same ones that tipped us early to Mark Prior's Achilles problem--now tell us that Prior is having shoulder problems. The Cubs deny this and point to Prior's work on the mound. Prior was doing towel drills on Saturday, but this is the same type of work he was doing last year when there was a problem. According to our best sources in Mesa, Prior looks "weak and sick." Until he throws, we just won't know, though I'd like to believe Larry Rothschild.

Shoulder has a boo boo

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Feb 20, 2006 -> 02:46 PM)
You can't have spring training anymore without pitcher problems or at least rumors of said problems. Those usually start with the Cubs, and this year is no different. Reliable sources--the same ones that tipped us early to Mark Prior's Achilles problem--now tell us that Prior is having shoulder problems. The Cubs deny this and point to Prior's work on the mound. Prior was doing towel drills on Saturday, but this is the same type of work he was doing last year when there was a problem. According to our best sources in Mesa, Prior looks "weak and sick." Until he throws, we just won't know, though I'd like to believe Larry Rothschild.

Shoulder has a boo boo

Thanks for the link.

You know what part of that blurb should scare Cub fans the most?

According to our best sources in Mesa, Prior looks "weak and sick." Until he throws, we just won't know, though I'd like to believe Larry Rothschild....

News is better for Kerry Wood, on track to get back in the rotation by May. The Cubs have depth in the rotation and a favorable early schedule to give them time, even if Wood has a small setback. Wood will return to the rotation. If he's ever a bullpen guy, it won't be for the Cubs.

How bad do things have to be for you to actually write that the news is better for Kerry Wood?

The 'cover-up' is always worse than the crime.

Jim Hendry and the Cubs have had a history of not acknowleding problems. Hendry is saying that Prior is just fine. Well, if in May, his arm looks like a noodle, then Cub fans will really...

Ah, hell, we all know a lemming will always be a lemming.

I wonder if Prior's nagging injuries have anything to do with his collision on the basepaths a while back?  He hasn't been the same since then.

I think it's from his heavy pounding in 2003. He and Wood were 1-2 that year in pitches thrown. Prior was 240 pitches behind Wood, and missed 3 starts. I really think something is wrong. Why else was he on the trading block this winter?

Prior is apparantely not throwing off of a mound right now.

Also...Dusty Baker had an amusing quote yesterday:

''[Prior's] progressing like we've said,'' Cubs manager Dusty Baker told reporters Tuesday. ''You can't believe reports unless it comes from us. If it doesn't come from us, it doesn't count.''

I can't remember the last time I saw either Wood or Prior smiling or kidding around with the media. I understand they've had a rough two years, with the injuries, the Cubs doing so poorly and the Sox winning the WS, but when you start the season with a s***ty, defeated attitude, you're f***ed. The other day Wood was getting into his car and with toal sarcasm said: "Hey guys, always a pleasure" to the media. It was the 1st day of ST, what's he pissed about already?? Prior is another ray of sunshine, always mumbling and dragging around like his dog died. Maybe they really are still injured, or just hate the Chicago media and maybe they're great teammates behind cloosed doors....I can't tell.

FWIW, there was a very optimistic article in the Sun-Times this morning, suggesting that Wood is ahead of schedule and Wade Miller is also progressing nicely. Wood was supposedly popping the heater in there pretty good, not holding back.

Like I said, take that for what it's worth, but they seem to really believe that Wood will be in the rotation sooner than later.

His history makes me wonder how long he'll stay there, though...

QUOTE(The Critic @ Feb 23, 2006 -> 10:04 AM)
FWIW, there was a very optimistic article in the Sun-Times this morning, suggesting that Wood is ahead of schedule and Wade Miller is also progressing nicely. Wood was supposedly popping the heater in there pretty good, not holding back.

Like I said, take that for what it's worth, but they seem to really believe that Wood will be in the rotation sooner than later.

His history makes me wonder how long he'll stay there, though...

Read that too, smoke screen, spin move.