Drew Brees

San Diego is a bunch of F***ing idiots. They have one of the top 5 QB's in teh game right now, with a very talented almost #1 pick sitting on the bench as a backup, they play the starting guy in a meaningless game, then he winds up seriously hurt, and they find themselves scrambling to figure out what to do.

Miami, Cleveland, Detroit, J-E-T-S, Hell even New Orleans should try to be all over this guy (N.O. could then trade down a little in the draft and build elsewhere). Hell if Buffalo could get him, I sure wouldn't be mad.

San Diego is insane for letting Brees touch the FA market after the way he's played the last 2 seasons. They should be trying to trade Rivers to whatever team wants a QB but misses out on Cutler or wants to draft someone else in the top 10.

There is a lot of question as to when Brees would be healthy - and that would obviously have to be factored into his contract, which makes me think he could end up back in SD if other teams are concerned about his health.

As for the Bears, I would be all for it, assuming we didn't have to give up the boat to sign him.

This is not realistic though...Angelo is basing his future on Grossman, and they feel that have a nice backup in Orton with all the experience he got this season.

Bress definitely makes sense for a lot of teams at QB. I'm shocked the Chargers are going this route. They've got the caproom to keep both IIRC, and in this day and age, they should definitely get some compensation for him.

If the Jets cut Pennington, they could go after Brees and not have to pick Cutler at #4.

Oakland could sign him if they decide not to keep Collins. They've seen first hand what Drew can do.

And then there's teams like the Bills, the Dolphins etc. who all have muddled QB situations.

If healthy, Brees will easily get a starting spot, I've got no doubts about that. How he does without Antonio Gates and LaDanian Tomilnson though, will be interesting to watch.

I think Brees is a huge risk at this point. He had a torn labrum, and it was in late January. At best, he will only be fully recovering around pre-season, and the Bears dont need that headache right now. Look at how a torn labrum changed Chad Pennington, the guy isnt even a shadow of his former self.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Feb 21, 2006 -> 06:36 AM)
Are there any other quality QB FA's this offseason?  I really have no idea, but I imagine Brees would cost an arm and a leg if he were the only legitimately good QB on the market.  Not sure if the Bears have the cap room or the desire to spend that money to go after him.

There's a couple, like Carson Palmer's backup John Kitna or potentially Chad Pennington, who could do some good work in the right circumstances, but Brees is basically head and shoulders above all of them, if he's healthy enough to play. There's a couple decent ones who might show up on the trade market also, like Vick's backup Matt Schaub or Culpepper...but I think the odds right now say that if you want an actual quality starting QB, your best bet is the draft unless you get Brees.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Feb 21, 2006 -> 04:49 PM)
There's a couple, like Carson Palmer's backup John Kitna or potentially Chad Pennington, who could do some good work in the right circumstances, but Brees is basically head and shoulders above all of them, if he's healthy enough to play.  There's a couple decent ones who might show up on the trade market also, like Vick's backup Matt Schaub or Culpepper...but I think the odds right now say that if you want an actual quality starting QB, your best bet is the draft unless you get Brees.

You won't get Schaub unless you're willing to give up a very high pick. He's too important as a backup, especially when you're starting with a running qb.

NFL Notes: Brees won't be tagged by Chargers

By Seattle Times news services

SAN DIEGO — General manager A.J. Smith said the San Diego Chargers have declined to designate quarterback Drew Brees as their franchise or transition player. The deadline is Thursday.

If the Chargers had slapped either of the tags on Brees, he would be guaranteed $9.7 million in a one-year salary next season. That's too rich for the Chargers, considering Brees suffered a torn labrum in his throwing shoulder while trying to recover a fumble in the season finale Jan. 1.

Brees underwent surgery last month and is expected to begin throwing in May. But whether he will be at full strength by training camp in July isn't known.

Brees and the Chargers are talking about a multi-year pact, but no agreement has been reached. Brees can negotiate with any team beginning March 3.

Behind Brees is Philip Rivers, the fourth pick in the 2004 draft.

Edited by kyyle23

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Feb 21, 2006 -> 01:43 AM)
Brees is better than a healthy Grossman anyways.

I wouldnt be so sure about that.... Rex has a great arm and now Brees is going through surgery on his throwing arm..... Give Rex Antonio Gates, LT, and McCardell and then judge him fairly.

I still think Rex could be a pro bowler in the NFC

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2006 @ Feb 20, 2006 -> 11:44 PM)
I don't think so.  I think Rex is the guy.  The Bears need to worry about wr/te this off-season.

img8731018.jpgWhy do you think that Rex will stay healthy this year? I would rather have a good QB who doesn't seem to break something new every 3 games.