Drew Brees

Is this such a difficult decision? Brees got hurt badly enough that SD isn't sure. There's no reason we should bet the farm on his health, give him a huge contract and trade Rex. But if teams are frightened off enough that his price falls far from his healthy value, who wouldn't take a flyer on Drew Brees?

But it's a pipe dream. Brees will either be resigned or signed to a huge deal by a team more desperate than us.

If all indications are that he's going to heal? I'm more than willing to throw money his way. Maybe find a way to structure the contract so that if he is seriously injured the team has the ability to cut him early in the contract, but if he proves he's healthy he gets a good sized roster bonus in a year that will make it a very very good contract for Bree's in the latter years (one where after the 1st year or so he's assured to get very good money).

I have no doubt that I'd rather have Brees at the helm as opposed to Grossman. I like Rex a lot, but I'm not about to sit around when an impact QB is available and thats exactly what Brees is. Drew has been one of the better quarterbacks in the league the past two years and isn't yet in his prime.

I should add I wouldn't mind picking up Pennington if he's cut (assuming it would be a very minimal type contract). Chad's obviously had a ton of health issues, but lets not forget qb's going down with arm injuries for a long period are very rare (so don't mix Brees with Pennington, imo).

If I'm the Bears I have zero problem looking long and hard at upgrading the QB position. Its the key position on the offensive side of the field and we've shown that we can't keep the position healthy. If they can't find an upgrade than I have no problem sticking with our guys, but let it be known I think we should still invest some of our cap (we have plenty of it) in a backup QB. Hell Jon Kitna wouldn't be a bad option at all.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Feb 21, 2006 -> 07:02 PM)
I dont mind overpaying for Brees if it gives us a good QB actually.... since Brees might not be ready at the begining of the season we will see what we have in Grossman anyways....This team is ready to win now and dont think we should let 1 position hold us back no matter the cost.

Most things I have read said he will be near full strength at mini camps. So by the sounds of it he should be ready to go by training camp.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Feb 21, 2006 -> 09:38 PM)
Most things I have read said he will be near full strength at mini camps.  So by the sounds of it he should be ready to go by training camp.

I just can't fathom the lightning bolts letting him walk if they really believed that.