Spring Training too long

Texsox

I hate the tease. I keep looking at the calendar and seeing Opening Day. That is still a long way off. Spring Training makes it seem even longer to me. I could ignore the baseball news when it is all rumour and financial stuff, but this is actual leather and wood. :gosoxretro:

QUOTE(Texsox @ Feb 21, 2006 -> 09:27 AM)
I hate the tease. I keep looking at the calendar and seeing Opening Day. That is still a long way off. Spring Training makes it seem even longer to me. I could ignore the baseball news when it is all rumour and financial stuff, but this is actual leather and wood.  :gosoxretro:

I agree, but Comcast has made it much easier on us by showing 18 spring training games. Back before they aired most of the ST games, March was like pulling teeth for me. Now, not so bad.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Feb 21, 2006 -> 08:27 AM)
I hate the tease. I keep looking at the calendar and seeing Opening Day. That is still a long way off. Spring Training makes it seem even longer to me. I could ignore the baseball news when it is all rumour and financial stuff, but this is actual leather and wood.  :gosoxretro:

Oh, I disagree.

When I see those pictures from Arizona, I can just FEEL the season coming!

When there were 6 inches of snow on the ground ( not that YOU'D know... :P ) and all we had to watch is the stumbling Bulls and the bumbling Blackhawks, THAT's when it felt like baseball season would never get here!!

QUOTE(TheBlackSox8 @ Feb 21, 2006 -> 02:37 PM)
it's like watching a bunch of all star games,  except home field advantage ain't on the line....I'll probably watch some games,  but they're not intresting my at all.  I'd rather players be with the team and get s*** together as the season starts.

so?

it's not like there's anything else on.

I think it'll be entertaining.

QUOTE(watchtower41 @ Feb 21, 2006 -> 01:09 PM)
Because they are a joke.  Should have just left the sport in the Olympics.  Damn softball.

I agree that the IOC should not have removed baseball's Olympic charter. But I also think that there is room for the WBC—soccer has both an Olympic stage and a World Cup stage and the world still can't get enough of it.

The WBC scheduling is stupid, putting it weeks before the MLB season and in the middle of spring training, especially when participation from MLB players is counted upon as heavily as it currently is. Have it around December, so there are no conflicts with spring training and less worry about injury.

And lastly, this is a contest that will more than likely be a lot bigger in other countries than it ever will be here.

QUOTE(The Critic @ Feb 21, 2006 -> 02:39 PM)
Oh, I disagree.

When I see those pictures from Arizona, I can just FEEL the season coming!

When there were 6 inches of snow on the ground ( not that YOU'D know... :P ) and all we had to watch is the stumbling Bulls and the bumbling Blackhawks, THAT's when it felt like baseball season would never get here!!

I use to say that the baseball season in Chicago started when the Bulls played their last game and ended when the Bears played their first. As I've gotten older, and moved from Chicago, baseball has become my #1 spectator sport.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Feb 21, 2006 -> 05:07 PM)
I use to say that the baseball season in Chicago started when the Bulls played their last game and ended when the Bears played their first. As I've gotten older, and moved from Chicago, baseball has become my #1 spectator sport.

My thing used to be that since baseball and hockey overlap, I had no use for any other sports.

Since the Pointless Work Stoppage of 2004, I have to say my hockey fandom has decreased. Add the futility/stupidity of the SlackHawks to the mix and it's a damn good thing the Sox won it all. They've kept me giddy all winter long!

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Feb 21, 2006 -> 03:37 PM)
It's a good thing the Sox have games on TV during ST.  It might allow Hawk to get all the "I told you so." out of his system.  It's not likely, but it might help.

I love Hawk, but he's going to be insane this year, since the epitome of his homerism has happened.

Hawk will never get anything out of his system. He jabbed Manuel again at Soxfest. I love Hawk, though.

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Feb 21, 2006 -> 08:30 AM)
I agree, but Comcast has made it much easier on us by showing 18 spring training games.  Back before they aired most of the ST games, March was like pulling teeth for me.  Now, not so bad.

Its a shame we have to see a handful of s***ty prospects and split squads...I want my full blown White Sox, lol!