My worries with Jenks

iWiN4PreP

I have some small worries with Bobby Jenks.

Look what happened to Shingo last year.

Baseball players generally find out pitchers after a year, and Bobby jenks is prime to be found out, he throws 100mph and players well learn how to hit it. The key will be his other pitch(s), and how they work out IMO.

Anyone else worried with jenks?

But what im not worried about is how our bullpen would react, we got Polite, cotts, and hermanson all there to close if needed.

Edited by iWiN4PreP

The one worry I have with Jenks is his elbow. Every once in a while, someone will run into a heater of his, and hit a long, long homer. At least he'll have a competent centerfielder when he's pitching this season. Rowand was solid on defense last year, but he absolutely sucked when Jenks was on the mound.

QUOTE(iWiN4PreP @ Feb 21, 2006 -> 08:20 PM)

Look what happened to Iguchi last year.

Baseball players generally find out pitchers after a year, and Bobby jenks is prime to be found out, he throws 100mph and players well learn how to hit it. The key will be his other pitch(s), and how they work out IMO.

But what im not worried about is how our bullpen would react, we got Polite, cotts, and hermanson all there to close if needed.

If he does get figured out, he will have to figure out a way to trick the other batters into missing his pitches if he is going to be an elite closer in the majors. I am confident in what Bobby can do.

Look what happened to Iguchi last year.

shingo? :P

Jenks' elbow should be way more of a concern than the league "figuring him out" there isn't much to figure out when it comes to a 100MPH fastball and a 12 to 6 85MPH Curve. I still don't think Jenks will make it to 30yo before his elbow decides to give out on him and he's forced out of the league.

I don't think it was so much that the league 'figured out' shingo, it was just he couldn't get the first 3 pitches over the damn plate! After that, his wussy fastball is just a fat-pitch waiting for a seat in the bleachers. If Shingo was getting his big hook over early in the count, things may have been different for him. Regardless, I would rather have Jenks!

shingo?

wopps, fixed, was thinking the whole iguchi/takatsu thing. =P.

Jenks' elbow should be way more of a concern than the league "figuring him out" there isn't much to figure out when it comes to a 100MPH fastball and a 12 to 6 85MPH Curve. I still don't think Jenks will make it to 30yo before his elbow decides to give out on him and he's forced out of the league.

I guess thats right, I was just talking to some guy who said that people would figure out his 100mph fastball, but i guess its pretty darn hard to figure a 100mph out :P.

But what do you guys think about his mental tuffness? That always worries me a bit too.

Look what happened to Shingo last year.

I'm worried about his mental makeup more than anything. Then again, he had ice water in his veins during the playoffs. I don't see the Shingo comparison at all. Jenks' stuff compared to Shingo's is night and day.

QUOTE(iWiN4PreP @ Feb 21, 2006 -> 09:12 PM)
But what do you guys think about his mental tuffness? That always worries me a bit too.

I think he proved his toughness by what he did in the post season last year. A rookie in the playoffs doesn't do what he did without being mentally tough.

QUOTE(iWiN4PreP @ Feb 21, 2006 -> 09:12 PM)
wopps, fixed, was thinking the whole iguchi/takatsu thing. =P.

I guess thats right, I was just talking to some guy who said that people would figure out his 100mph fastball, but i guess its pretty darn hard to figure a 100mph out :P.

Dude, what is the point of this argument? Nobody figures out 100 mph. Shingo was a trick pitch pitcher. He had a trick pitch that nobody had seen before. 100 mph is rare and the batter knows its coming, but they cant hit it. This was the case all season.

His mental toughness? Rookie. Playoffs. World Series. Winning Save.

You dont get much tougher than that. Even Brad Lidge folded under pressure, twice.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Feb 21, 2006 -> 10:35 PM)
Dude, what is the point of this argument?  Nobody figures out 100 mph.  Shingo was a trick pitch pitcher.  He had a trick pitch that nobody had seen before.  100 mph is rare and the batter  knows its coming, but they cant hit it.  This was the case all season.

His mental toughness?  Rookie. Playoffs. World Series. Winning Save.

You dont get much tougher than that.  Even Brad Lidge folded under pressure, twice.

3 times if you include game 5 of the NLCS. Has that ball even landed yet?

Brad Lidge didn't exactly leave the world awe-struck in the playoffs either. Unless you're talking about that pitch that Pujols...well...I think the Hubble is still trying to find that ball.

I'll admit, I'm a little worried about Bobby. Probably more worried than I was about Shingo last year. Problem was, I thought Shingo could keep throwing strikes. For all I know Bobby could spend the year struggling with his control. But all i can say about that is...he's got some darn good people to work with in Cooper, Herm S., and our catchers. He's also got guys with closing experience (Hermanson) to drag him along.

If he just can go out there and throw strikes with the fastball and the curveball...he'll get beat a few times during the year, but so does Rivera.

QUOTE(fathom @ Feb 21, 2006 -> 08:21 PM)
The one worry I have with Jenks is his elbow.  Every once in a while, someone will run into a heater of his, and hit a long, long homer.  At least he'll have a competent centerfielder when he's pitching this season.  Rowand was solid on defense last year, but he absolutely sucked when Jenks was on the mound.

I agree it seemed that everytime jenks was on the mound, Rowand would take a step back and the ball would fall in front of him.

Jenks' elbow and the fact that he'll have to adjust to the pressure of being the closer through an entire ML season. Stepping into the spotlight of the post season didn't bother him much, but the pressure can build up over the grind of a full season. I think he'll be able to handle it, but that is an unknown at this point.

QUOTE(Jimbo's Drinker @ Feb 22, 2006 -> 02:05 AM)
I agree it seemed that everytime jenks was on the mound, Rowand would take a step back and the ball would fall in front of him.

I'm glad that someone else noticed this. Jenks gave up an inordinate amount of hits to right handed hitters that either dribbled down the 3rd base line, or blooped in front of a too-late charging Rowand. I can remember seeing Ozzie waving at Rowand to come in more and appearing frustrated by A-Row's postioning when Jenks was pitching.

I think Jenks is plenty tough enough - he came back from the scrapheap to close out two World Series games, the division clincher, big games against Boston, etc. He's got the slow curve as an equalizer - some days it gets over, some days not.

Edited by Al Lopez's Ghost

His elbow is the main concern. His stuff is good enough that as long as he possesses it, he will never be "figured out". I would like to see him lose a little weight. I know the reports said he lost a little from last year, but the pictures indicate otherwise. He reminds me of Bob James, former White Sox mammoth reliever, who was very good for a little while but just flamed out. Jenks throws a little harder than James and is a little bigger. James had a big year with the Sox in 1985 when he was 26. He struggled the next 2 seasons and was selling cars by the time he was 28. If he took a little better care of himself, maybe he would have lasted a little longer.

Compare Bob James to Politte not Jenks. Bob James was a one hit wonder and a junk baller set-up man to Thigpen. He did help in getting Raines.

Health and head are the only things keeping Jenks from being among the all-time greats, talent is off the charts.

The guy performed as a rookie on the biggest stage and won. Except for the Ortiz bomb most hits were dinks and misplays by the defense.

As he matures and gains more faith in his curve and slider and god forbid finds a change-up he will be unhittable. He has 4 major league pitchers. 90% of all relievers have one and most starters have two. The real good ones have three and location. He can be wild but I think this will settle down with experience.

The head........well so far so good.

QUOTE(Jenks Heat @ Feb 22, 2006 -> 08:15 AM)
Compare Bob James to Politte not Jenks.  Bob James was a one hit wonder and a junk baller set-up man to Thigpen.  He did help in getting Raines.

Health and head are the only things keeping Jenks from being among the all-time greats, talent is off the charts. 

The guy performed as a rookie on the biggest stage and won.  Except for the Ortiz bomb most hits were dinks and misplays by the defense. 

As he matures and gains more faith in his curve and slider and god forbid finds a change-up he will be unhittable.  He has 4 major league pitchers.  90% of all relievers have one and most starters have two.  The real good ones have three and location.  He can be wild but I think this will settle down with experience. 

The head........well so far so good.

You are thinking about Barry Jones. Bob James was a closer from 85-87. The guy sweat more than any human I have ever seen.

I wouldn't think Jenks would falter like Shingo in terms of hitters figuring him out, because Shingo was more gimmicky, for lack of a better term. Jenks is a completely different pitcher, who can sometimes get by on only fastballs.

if Jenks falters, it will be if he starts consistently falling behind 2-0 or 3-1, and hitters can just forget thinking curve.

QUOTE(AirScott @ Feb 22, 2006 -> 08:19 AM)
I wouldn't think Jenks would falter like Shingo in terms of hitters figuring him out, because Shingo was more gimmicky, for lack of a better term.  Jenks is a completely different pitcher, who can sometimes get by on only fastballs.

if Jenks falters, it will be if he starts consistently falling behind 2-0 or 3-1, and hitters can just forget thinking curve.

In other words...if Jenks falters...it's for the exact same reason Shingo faltered...he couldn't throw strikes.