My worries with Jenks

iWiN4PreP

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Feb 22, 2006 -> 10:40 AM)
In other words...if Jenks falters...it's for the exact same reason Shingo faltered...he couldn't throw strikes.

Theres a huge difference in sitting on an 83 mph fastball and sitting on a 99 mph fastball. Shingo was Byung Yun Kim version II. One time through the league he was great. The second time through he was meat. Shingo got shell shocked and couldnt through strikes. Once that happened it was all over. Jenks didnt have a huge difficult time last year throwing strikes except when he faced the Oakland A's in his 2nd game. The only thing I would like to see Jenks do is to work up in the strikezone a bit. As it was said earlier in this thread, when he throws below the middle of the thighs its a bit easier for the batter to drop the head of the bat down on that ball and make contact versus trying to catch that belt high fastball hitting the gun at 100. I also think that the belt high fastball makes his curve look more like something to chase. When he was hitting the knees with the fastball and then was throwing the curve it was probably a lot easier to lay off the curve as you knew that it wasnt a fastball from the release. If both pitches come out of the same slot and angle its kind of hard to tell the difference and Jenks will get more people to chase his hook. Just my thoughts.

Edited by southsideirish71