Shocked, but Rowand just keeps on truckin'

SSH2005

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/colum...umnistfront-hed

Shocked, but Rowand just keeps on truckin'

Traded Sox center fielder focuses on helping Phillies win a title, writes Phil Rogers

Published February 22, 2006

CLEARWATER, Fla. -- You can take Aaron Rowand's team away, but not his truck.

The shocking trade from the White Sox to the Philadelphia Phillies, consummated only one month after Rowand had helped deliver a World Series victory to a city that hadn't won one since 1918, admittedly robbed Rowand of his professional equilibrium. He wanted at least one old friend with him when he switched uniforms.

So Rowand hopped in his Ford F250 pickup, the one with the diesel engine and 37-inch tires that Paul Konerko calls "Gravedigger," and made the drive from his home in Las Vegas to spring training. Instead of the usual six-hour drive across the desert to Tucson, Ariz., this was a three-day, 2,250-mile, solo odyssey that included overnight stops in Oklahoma City and New Orleans.

"A lot of time for thinking, getting myself prepared," Rowand said. "I listened to music, played with my new navigation system. … I like having my truck here. It makes me feel like I'm not so far away from where I was, that at least some things are familiar."

As Rowand said this, he was seated in front of his new locker, wearing gray uniform pants with red trim and a red undershirt that had been under his red Phillies jersey. He already had taken off the red spikes he had worn throughout a three-hour workout on Tuesday.

These weren't the first red shoes of Rowand's career. He had worn red spikes once before, when he played for Caguas in the Puerto Rican Winter League. But that doesn't mean he likes wearing them.

"That's probably the weirdest thing of everything, the red spikes," Rowand said. "You're always looking down, looking at your feet. … I never foresaw myself in red spikes in the States."

Stuff happens. Things change.

Since being traded Nov. 26 from the World Series winners in a three-for-one deal for Jim Thome and about $22 million, Rowand has grasped that sometimes sad reality of professional sports. When you don't control your fate, you can find yourself visiting the White House with one team even as you worry about fitting in with your new team.

Rowand didn't see the trade coming. No one did, really.

After all, Rowand was drafted in the first round by the White Sox in 1998 and had spent five seasons with the big club, working toward the realization of the dream that came true in October. He was as popular as anyone on the team, in the clubhouse and with fans who appreciated his blue-collar playing style and approachable nature once he had pulled on blue jeans and a T-shirt.

"At first I was shocked," Rowand said. "Absolutely stunned."

But with every day that has passed since the deal, Rowand has spent less time considering his past and more plotting his immediate future. He probably would be within his rights to be bitter, but he says kind things about Sox Chairman Jerry Reinsdorf and White Sox management, including general manager Ken Williams, who traded him.

"There's definitely a part of me that's sad I'm not playing with my friends," Rowand said. "I love the city of Chicago. I love the fans, the organization and my teammates. I miss them the most. They're like family. … But all those people there had a big part in helping me get where I am, and I'll never forget that.

"I know Kenny and his passion for winning. He felt he was put in a situation where he could better the team, and I understand that."

World Series teams don't change center fielders often, especially if they're working to repeat the next season. The last team that switched primary center fielders after a World Series and then returned the following season was the Oakland Athletics in 1972 and '73, and they imported Bill North because the young George Hendrick was playing out of position.

The White Sox didn't have to make a change but had first-round pick Brian Anderson available to supplant Rowand when Phillies GM Pat Gillick asked for Rowand and left-handed pitching prospects Gio Gonzalez and Daniel Haigwood for Thome.

"You always like to have as many character guys as you can have," Gillick said of Rowand. "The longer you're in this game, the more you see that the mental side, the passion and the work ethic are so important. Very important. We really like what we're getting with Aaron."

While Rowand received Gold Glove consideration in center field, his hitting numbers fell off last season. His average dropped from .310 to .270 and his home-run total fell from 24 to 13 even though he played in a career-high 157 games. He appeared to be the one White Sox hitter with a tired bat in October, generating more double plays than RBIs in the 12 postseason games.

Yet look for better things this season.

While Rowand says all the right things about having been discarded, it's clear the first trade of his career has become a catalyst. He would love to get back to the World Series, this time with a talented, unsung Phillies team that is similar to the White Sox before they added Freddy Garcia and Jose Contreras. He burns with the desire to make his old team miss him.

Despite the cross-country drive, Rowand arrived in Clearwater on Feb. 9, almost a week before the Phillies' pitchers and catchers were scheduled to report. He pulled the red spikes on for the first time on Feb. 10 and the early effort showed Tuesday, the first scheduled workout for position players.

Rowand held his own in live batting practice against two electrifying prospects, Gonzalez (a Ron Guidry clone throwing in the 90s with a no-nonsense curveball) and former first-round pick Gavin Floyd.

"I didn't swing and miss a pitch," Rowand said afterward. "That's the first time that has ever happened in spring training."

After getting the tough stuff out of the way, he put on a display against a batting-practice pitcher. He first sprayed line drives to all fields on the back diamond at the Bright House Networks Field complex, then unleashed the power that wasn't seen often in 2005. Ball after ball flew beyond the chain-link fence and into a grove of palm trees.

While the New York Mets and Atlanta Braves will be tough to beat in the National League East, Rowand loves the potential of a Phillies lineup that includes Bobby Abreu, Pat Burrell, Jimmy Rollins and youngsters Chase Utley and Ryan Howard. Nothing would be sweeter than to keep the victories coming, even in red spikes.

Rowand not only tasted baseball's ultimate victory last October, he also smelled it all winter. He has kept the pair of sweatbands he first pulled on in Detroit the final week of the season. He wore them in 19 games without ever washing them. They were soaked during champagne celebrations in Detroit, Boston and Anaheim and grew so foul they caused a rash on Rowand's arms during the World Series.

He didn't put them away until after the greatest celebration of all. This winter he packed the sweatbands (still unwashed), his World Series jersey and bat into a storage box as his own personal treasure. It was time to close that chapter, like it or not.

i hate to say it, but Rowand has gotta stop giving these "Man I was shocked, I really miss my teammates" interviews if he ever wants to fit in with Philly. I understand what he is saying, but if there was a player in Chicago in the same situation, we would be giving him hell about whining about his old team.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_ylt=AqbA...ov=ap&type=lgns

Rowand already a fan favorite in fickle Philly

By ROB MAADDI, AP Sports Writer

February 22, 2006

CLEARWATER, Fla. (AP) -- Aaron Rowand once walked away from a collision with a cinderblock wall, rarely finishes a game with a clean uniform and will do anything to win. No wonder the gritty center fielder is a perfect fit in blue-collar Philadelphia.

Rowand hasn't played a game with his new team, and already he's a fan favorite in a city known for being tough on its athletes. Everywhere Rowand went during the Phillies' winter tour, he was greeted by friendly faces.

"The fans have been nothing but great," Rowand said Wednesday. "I was overwhelmed by the outpouring of people wishing me well."

The 28-year-old Rowand came to Philadelphia along with two minor league pitchers in the trade that sent popular slugger Jim Thome to the World Series champion Chicago White Sox.

Built more like a middle linebacker, the stocky Rowand -- listed at 6-foot, 200 pounds -- is known for his all-out hustle and his willingness to run into anything to make a catch.

During his junior year at Cal-State Fullerton, he ran into a cinderblock wall on a dead sprint, caught the ball and escaped with only bruises on his knee and cheekbone. Another time, he was knocked woozy after leaping to rob a home run and hitting his head on a pole.

"Some outfielders look for the wall. I try to make the catch," he said. "My dad told me as a kid that if you're going to do something and not give it 100 percent then why bother and I carried that through my whole career. So far it's worked out for me."

Rowand has drawn comparisons to former Phillies' center fielder Lenny Dykstra, who was adored by fans for his hard-nosed attitude.

"I enjoy getting dirty. I enjoy flopping around in the dirt," Rowand said. "In Chicago, they appreciated me for the effort I gave every day and it's nice to know I'm going to a place where they'll do that, maybe more."

Dykstra, who was nicknamed "Nails," was a major reason Philadelphia went to the World Series in 1993, its last playoff appearance. Maybe Rowand could have a similar impact on a team that isn't expected to contend despite finishing just one game behind National League wild-card winner Houston last season.

"I think the guy is a solid player and he loves to play," manager Charlie Manuel said. "His hustle is going to be good for our team. I think he's capable of hitting .300 and he'll hit a few home runs. He might hit 20-25 in our park."

Rowand had a breakout season in 2004, hitting .310 with 24 homers and 69 RBIs. He fell to .270 with 13 homers and 69 RBIs last year, and hit .267 with seven doubles in the playoffs.

Kenny Lofton and Jason Michaels, who platooned in center field for the Phillies last season, combined to hit .322 with six homers, 67 RBIs and had a .397 on-base percentage. Rowand, though, is considered a major upgrade over Lofton and Michaels defensively.

Manuel plans to bat Rowand second in the lineup, though he could hit sixth or seventh at times to provide some punch at the bottom of the order.

It took a couple days for Rowand to get over being traded to the Phillies one day before Thanksgiving. But he was so eager to start playing with his new teammates that he showed up a week early for spring training and has spent a lot of time getting to know the guys.

"Everybody gets along real well. Guys get together after practice. You have a good mix of veterans and some young guys," he said. "I was more in shock when (the trade) happened. I was disappointed I was leaving some of my best friends. That's tough, especially when you form bonds after being with one organization for eight years. But I'm looking forward to playing in that stadium, playing with these guys and playing in front of those fans."

I love rowand, but this quote is rather funny

After getting the tough stuff out of the way, he put on a display against a batting-practice pitcher. He first sprayed line drives to all fields on the back diamond at the Bright House Networks Field complex, then unleashed the power that wasn't seen often in 2005. Ball after ball flew beyond the chain-link fence and into a grove of palm trees.

Rowand hit something like 5 homeruns in spring training last year. I remember I drafted him in the 4th or 5th round in fantasyland because I expected so much out of him. Though I love what he did for us, I do not believe the power will ever be there again as it was in '04...

QUOTE(Steve9347 @ Feb 23, 2006 -> 12:01 PM)
I love rowand, but this quote is rather funny

Rowand hit something like 5 homeruns in spring training last year.  I remember I drafted him in the 4th or 5th round in fantasyland because I expected so much out of him.  Though I love what he did for us, I do not believe the power will ever be there again as it was in '04...

Yes, it's still ST, but it's a lot easier to hit HRs in the Cactus League, than it is in the Grapefruit League. We have the thinner air where we are, ARow will be earning his now.

And I wish Aaron the best. He was a class act and there's no question that he played a vital role in the success of the '05 Sox.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Feb 23, 2006 -> 09:31 AM)
I think its a horrible idea.  He hits into Dp's and k's alot.

Perhaps they're hoping he'll be able to do what we're hoping Uribe will be able to do. He will have a couple of pretty scary bats behind him...so he'll see a lot of pitches to hit...they're probably hoping he can learn to fix the problems he had last year.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Feb 23, 2006 -> 11:37 AM)
Perhaps they're hoping he'll be able to do what we're hoping Uribe will be able to do.  He will have a couple of pretty scary bats behind him...so he'll see a lot of pitches to hit...they're probably hoping he can learn to fix the problems he had last year.

Well, even though I think he isnt good in the 2 hole. His career stats there make me look moronic.

325 AB .351 .397 .511 .907

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Feb 23, 2006 -> 01:08 PM)
Well, even though I think he isnt good in the 2 hole.  His career stats there make me look moronic.

325 AB .351 .397 .511 .907

granted a large chunk of those ABs came from '04 where his numbers were probably better than they'll ever be but even if those numbers come back down to earth - the 2 holes not a bad place for him. he's got decent speed, he's got the ability to move the leadoff guy around and he's got good pop too. yeah he hits into DPs, but then even better to have him bat 2nd because the DP is much less likely after the leadoff batter than oh, the number 6 guy. plus the DP numbers were inflated because he was in a pretty big slump at the end of the year. on average he's not that horrible about it