Holy Shrine nearly destroyed in Iraq

southsider2k5

QUOTE(Rex Kickass @ Feb 22, 2006 -> 07:43 PM)
That's not how it happened in Japan or Germany after World War II. That's not how it happened in Bosnia or Kosovo.

After WWII Germany and Japan were basically destroyed. There was little to no spirit left. The Hirohito had to go on radio and say that he was not a god which was demoralizing the masses. The people of Japan were completely disarmed, and yes, it was done by force. Germany was a mass of rubble with Hitler dead in a bunker. As for the Bosnia and Kosovo, I don't think we are the main occupyers. Clinton left it to Europe mostly.

Like I said in my original post, nobody knows for sure how to deal with insurection when the whole world is watching and the U.S. is going to have to figure it out on the fly.

Old Slate Article

I'd say the Golden Mosque bombing is shaping up as possibly the tipping point to all out civil war. Not good.

Sunnis pull out of government talks.

“Iraq’s main Sunni Muslim bloc pulled out on Thursday of negotiations for the formation of a new government,” demanding an apology for recent attacks on Sunni mosques.

Iraq erupts:

Dozens of factory workers were pulled off buses and gunned down in northeast Baghdad, leaving 47 dead, and at least 90 Sunni mosques have been attacked.

Edited by FlaSoxxJim

Another update:

Gunmen shot dead 47 civilians and left their bodies in a ditch near Baghdad Thursday as militia battles and sectarian reprisals followed the bombing of a sacred Shiite shrine. Sunni Arabs suspended their participation in talks on a new government.

At least 47 other bodies were found scattered across Iraq, many of them shot execution-style and dumped in Shiite-dominated parts of Baghdad.

The hardline Sunni Clerical Association of Muslim Scholars said 168 Sunni mosques had been attacked, 10 imams killed and 15 abducted since the shrine attack. The Interior Ministry said it could only confirm figures for Baghdad, where 90 mosques were attacked in Baghdad, one cleric was killed, and one abducted.

Officials said at least 110 people had been killed across the country in violence believed triggered by the mosque attack.

Three journalists working for Al-Arabiya television were found dead in Samarra, the site of Wednesday's Askariya mosque attack. Al-Arabiya is viewed in Iraq as favoring the United States.

Oh, and 7 U.S. soldiers died yesterday too.

This has been a BAD couple of days over there.

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Feb 23, 2006 -> 02:49 PM)
CIVIL WAR!  BUSH DID IT!  (*sigh*)... it's not to diminish what's going on, but hopefully this little ploy will fail ...

No the US did it. We elected the war machine.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Feb 24, 2006 -> 11:11 AM)
After the war was launched, yes.

true, the re-election was a bigger statement than the first election. And with that 2% margin of victory, an obvious mandate

QUOTE(Texsox @ Feb 24, 2006 -> 05:48 PM)
true, the re-election was a bigger statement than the first election. And with that 2% margin of victory, an obvious mandate

First time in 12 years a person actually won over 50% of the vote. Not a clear mandate, to be sure, but a mandate none the less.

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Feb 24, 2006 -> 11:53 AM)
First time in 12 years a person actually won over 50% of the vote.  Not a clear mandate, to be sure, but a mandate none the less.

Perspective is a wonderful thing. Everybody can be right at the same time. :D

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Feb 28, 2006 -> 10:41 AM)
The Iraqi government is saying that number is almost 1000 people too high.

http://www.cnn.com/2006/WORLD/meast/02/28/...main/index.html

There's also still a big discrepancy (sp?) over the number of Sunni mosques attacked. Is it dozens or more than 100?

I don't know what to believe yet, but the numbers are all over the place.

QUOTE(KipWellsFan @ Feb 28, 2006 -> 02:16 PM)
Around 300 people died last week?  Seems almost impossible.  There's already been something like 55+ people killed today.

I think that if the WaPo got a number over 1000 from the Baghdad morgue, and saw the mess of bodies with its own eyes, then it's pretty darn difficult to dispute that number no matter what the government says.

QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ Feb 28, 2006 -> 10:44 AM)
There's also still a big discrepancy (sp?) over the number of Sunni mosques attacked.  Is it dozens or more than 100?

I don't know what to believe yet, but the numbers are all over the place.

Without doing any research, I'll guess that it depends on what they mean by "attacked." Some mosques were bombed and some might have had rocks thrown at them or something. There might be dozen "major attacks" and many, many, less serious incidents. This is the simplest explanation I can come up with other than saying that someone is lying.