Haunted places in Illinois..

Steff

Chicago - Hubbard High School - In the basement of Hubbard High School you can see and hear a teenage girl crying and sometimes screaming for help.

No, it was probably just someone being murdered. :D

Seriously though, when I lived off 62nd and Lawndale I was always afraid of the school. Very creepy vibe to it. Window shades bordering the 62nd street were always open, and at night you would catch odd shadows walking by.

Back in the late 90's a bunch of friends and i used to go out to Bachelor's Grove and look around. I never saw anything out of the ordinary but i few of my friends claim to have seen a few things. One of them refused to ever go back there. Still till this day...he won't say what he saw and refuses still to go back.

Take that for what it's worth i guess.

QUOTE(Buehrle>Wood @ Feb 22, 2006 -> 04:57 PM)
I have been through America's most haunted place aka Bachelor's grove many times. Never seen something out of the ordinary, but you can just tell there is something F'd up with the place. I reccomend going to know what I'm talking about.

I've heard people attribute the title of "Most haunted" to Bachelor's Grove before.

Never been there though. Too many police officers patrolling; too many people visiting.

Have you ever seen the grave stones located on the bike path leading around Lake Arrowhead, bordering 135th? I believe they date back to the mid 1800's. Before Palos reconstructed the bike path you would have to follow a ten minute path through the woods to reach it. The entire area--with vines crossing over the gravestones and dark brush blocking light--looked similar to a scene from a horror movie. Pretty cool. Now it's sort of dull, since they have a plaque describing the stones.

Has anyone else done the Cuba Road experiement out in Barrington?

We did it with a group of nine or ten of us back in high school; although the house we walked up on was pretty creepy, we hung out in it for awhile and I can't say we saw or felt anything out of the ordinary. I'm pretty sure it was just a place local high school kids go and drink...there was a couch in there, some tables, etc.

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Feb 22, 2006 -> 05:10 PM)
Has anyone else done the Cuba Road experiement out in Barrington?

We did it with a group of nine or ten of us back in high school; although the house we walked up on was pretty creepy, we hung out in it for awhile and I can't say we saw or felt anything out of the ordinary.  I'm pretty sure it was just a place local high school kids go and drink...there was a couch in there, some tables, etc.

No but that small abandoned house on Shoe Factory scared the living daylights out of me. They tore it down this year. That and one of my friends brother's set the barn on fire across the street and got arrested.

I've heard stories about The Country House restaurant being haunted. It's right around where I grew up. Everytime we drove past it, it scared the hell out of me. But I've forgotten all about it as time went on and eaten there a few times.

Amazing all the haunted places just here in Illinois.

There is an old animal testing facility near SIU campus that is abandoned. We used to visit that every halloween, creepy as hell. You have to walk this really long path to get there. And there is also a 19th century cemetary hidden in town that is rumored to be haunted. Both places are very creepy

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Feb 22, 2006 -> 07:10 PM)
There is an old animal testing facility near SIU campus that is abandoned.  We used to visit that every halloween, creepy as hell.  You have to walk this really long path to get there.  And there is also a 19th century cemetary hidden in town that is rumored to be haunted.  Both places are very creepy

Hmm, I'll have to check those out.

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Feb 22, 2006 -> 05:47 PM)
No, it was probably just someone being murdered.  :D

Seriously though, when I lived off 62nd and Lawndale I was always afraid of the school. Very creepy vibe to it. Window shades bordering the 62nd street were always open, and at night you would catch odd shadows walking by.

Ah, not too far from parents (also my sister and brother attended Hubbard).

I think I've posted this before, but 54 W. Hubbard in downtown Chicago is said to be haunted. It is now an office building, but used to be a courthouse. Many people were hanged there. The tenants say they see a woman dressed in early 1900's attire roaming the halls and around corners.

The White Sox connection is that the Black Sox trial was held in that building.

Champaign - Church St. YMCA - cold spots, lights turning off and on by themselves, feelings of being watched, balls rolling down stairs by themselves, strange noises, shadows moving. doors on third floor opening and closing by themselves.

Champaign - Urbana - The University of Illinois - The English building - is supposed to be haunted. The story is that it was once a girl's dormitory, and a girl killed herself there. Supposedly her spirit haunts the building.

Alsip - Cemetery(s ) - Alsip was once a huge brickyard for Chicago, as well as a planned cemetery. A really large one, supposedly dubbed The City of Chicago Cemetery. Many of the older houses have pre-dug graves within. Since not all of Alsip was used as a cemetery, the plan was debunked. However, Alsip has Illinois' largest cemetery count. There have been cases of ghosts, poltergeist activity (objects moved around homes), voices, etc. Besides its own graveyards, Alsip also borders several famous ones such as Holy Sepulcher.

meh, never heard of any of these.

The english building isn't haunted, its just crappy.

Edited by SnB

Bullvalley - Stickney Mansion - This house was built in the 1800's. The family that lived in it all died in the upstairs, the only part of the house with corners. The reason for the downstairs and outer perimeter not having corners was for the purpose of ghosts and spirits to have no place to hide. Late at night, in the dark of the upstairs windows, figures can be seen moving about. Sounds of steps can also be heard faintly. On the second floor is the door to nowhere that is up on the house leading to no deck nor any stairway. one of the stories is that one of the Stickney children hung himself in an upstairs room. They say anyone is welcome to visit the station. Yet, a vistitor to the house recently was told they'd get back in touch with her to give her more information. they never did. Beware you may get to go inside and get some stories, but not much else. - October 2004 update:It has now been remodeled into a police station.

I grew up with this place in my backyard. Nobody ever thought of it as "haunted" while we were growing up, just thought of it as a neat building.

Down the street is also the "Satan Worshippers House", and I am surprised that one didn't get mentioned. That is the house that everybody thought of as haunted and scary as all git out. The guy that lived in that house finally bought a gun and kept it filled with buckshot to keep the kids off his property.

One of my best friends was one of the number 1 ghost hunters in the midwest. I used to go hunting with her from time to time. I never saw diddly-squat.

Crystal Lake - Park in Covered Bridge Trails - There is a stream behind the park that has some odd activity around it. Strange shadows have been seen there and a ball of light.

That's where all the teens in Covered Bridge used to go get drunk and have parties. My friend, the one I just mentioned, lived just down the street from the park. I'm wondering if she had something to do with this site.

Crystal Lake - Barnes & Noble bookstore - An old woman who died had willed her property to a church, specifying that the property was to used for a school. Barnes & Noble (along with a couple other stores) now occupies this property. Employees have witnessed book carts moving by themselves, and have reported items being moved around. Some claim to have seen the old lady in the back storeroom.

This is wrong. It's the Borders in Crystal Lake (which used to be Crystal Point Mall). I had also never heard of this haunting before, until my friend "discovered" it a few years ago. This one is obviously urban legend, as the mall stood there since the early 70's, and if that was never haunted, why would the Borders be haunted?

Crystal Lake - Palmer House - Palmer was a man who ran an orphanage. He beat and tortured and murdered these kids over the years you can hear cries from in the house if you put your ear to the door you hear kids scratching at the door. Then you hear palmer stomp on the floor or hit the door. Sometimes you see figures in the basement windows.

Wow, talk about lies. Palmer was none of those things. He was a Colonel in the military and the house is one of the most "treasured" buildings in Crystal Lake, just down the road from my office. I've been in it numerous times.

http://www.crystallakeparks.org/ws05_06bro...e/colpalmer.pdf

Crystal Lake - The Fountains of Crystal Lake - On the upper floor there is an apparition of an old lady that wanders the halls and when you follow her, she leads you down a dead end hallway and she disappears. Also on the upper floor, there is an area with checkerboards to play checkers on. The checker chips move by themselves. In the basement, right when you get on the basement floor, you get the sensation of being watched. If you walk down the long dark hall, you hear footsteps follow you.

It's a HUGE retirement home in Crystal Lake, again just down the road from where I work, and is about 15 years old. The place is REALLY nice, and I have never heard of these stories. I might have to look into this one. I guess with so many old people living there, you are almost assured some ghosts.

Galena - Many - Many Ghost sightings have been seen and documented in this town. We are the town of U.S. President U.S. Grant; many stories about haunted houses and cemeteries are here. This town is rich on haunted sights.

I have been there a few times and toured it once for a school field trip and that place is creepy. We went to one place where this 2 guys stayed while they were traveling west in the 1800's and me and one of my friends saw this chair in the corner move out of nowhere. Really creepy town.

Sterling - Rock River - 7th Avenue - Many ghosts have been sighted along the Rock River along the bluffs and railroad tracks where many have died on the "blind corner" near the Dillon Museum hit by trains and also drowned in the river's strong currents. On the dead end road of Seventh Avenue it is said that you can hear a mother calling for her children and that a woman can be seen walking along the tracks and disappears in thin air.

We go fishing here frequently. There is a bait shop there at the blind corner now and they have removed the tracks and tried to cover it up but every time you go by, there is an illusion of the old tracks going right into the river. You should see this place at night.

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Feb 22, 2006 -> 03:52 PM)
Last year, the guys that lived next to me were from Alton, Illinois and they always told us that their claim-to-fame was being the most haunted location in either Illinois, or, the entire country, I forget which one.

That is a very neat site, for sure.

Alton's claim to fame is being home to the tallest person in history, Robert Wadlow. http://www.altonweb.com/history/wadlow/

Edited by Middle Buffalo

Sterling - Rock River - 7th Avenue - Many ghosts have been sighted along the Rock River along the bluffs and railroad tracks where many have died on the "blind corner" near the Dillon Museum hit by trains and also drowned in the river's strong currents. On the dead end road of Seventh Avenue it is said that you can hear a mother calling for her children and that a woman can be seen walking along the tracks and disappears in thin air.

:lol: :lol: There ain't s*** haunted in Sterling/Rock Falls (and yes, I've been to that spot at night)...with all the drunken ass teens you might here some odd noises at night though.

Aurora - Baymont Inn and Suites - Lobby - There was an incident in the lobby and office with a guest on the phone nearby we both witnessed a white ball of light shoot from behind the office and out into the lobby then vanished the guest was very disturbed this happened on St Patricks day 2001 at approximately 2am.

I have heard this story to be the truth from too many different people to not believe it at least somewhat....