Steinbrenner predicts championship for Yankees

SSH2005

http://newyork.yankees.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/...t=.jsp&c_id=nyy

Steinbrenner predicts title for Yanks

Thrilled with Damon signing, Boss anticipates championship

TAMPA, Fla. -- Welcome to "The Spring of George" at Legends Field.

Yankees owner George Steinbrenner, eager to bring a trophy back to New York and excited about the acquisition of Johnny Damon, predicted on Wednesday that this year's Yankees will win the franchise's first World Series title since 2000.

"It's been a while; we haven't won it," said Steinbrenner, who stopped to speak to TV and radio reporters. "We're going to win it this year. We're going after them this year."

The statements came as Steinbrenner, who has been more visible than usual during the first week of Spring Training, paid a visit to manager Joe Torre, parking himself on Torre's couch while the manager met with reporters.

Torre and Steinbrenner's icy relationship from last season has been well documented, and the manager made a point to address it in October as he decided whether to return for an 11th season with the Yankees.

The two men have already spoken several times this spring, so Wednesday's visit wasn't out of the ordinary, other than its timing.

"I can't do much to teach him anything," Steinbrenner said of his visits with Torre, "but I'm just there [for Torre] to know he's got my support."

Steinbrenner even muscled his way into Torre's interview session, injecting some laughter into the room. Torre was asked about the Yankees' pursuit of Damon after the 2001 season, when Jason Giambi expressed his desire to see his former Oakland teammate join him in the Bronx.

"I remember when we signed Jason, he said, 'Johnny Damon is out there,' " Torre said. "But he took all the money, so we couldn't do anything."

The words were barely out of Torre's mouth when Steinbrenner inserted his two cents into the conversation.

"You got some, didn't you?" Steinbrenner said.

"Thank you, sir," said a smiling Torre.

But Ozzie should shut it up, right George? :rolly

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Feb 22, 2006 -> 09:52 PM)
Why can't George say his team is going to win? The guy has a payroll over $200 million. Say what you want about the guy, but for that type of cash, he shouldn't be waiting 6 years for another championship.

Eh, he's atleast waiting another one. That team ain't winning the Series this year.

QUOTE(iWiN4PreP @ Feb 22, 2006 -> 08:34 PM)
Lmfao, "Its been a long time since we won"

What the hell? Boston was like 100 years,ours was like 100 years, his is like, 8? 10? He needs to shut up.

6 years in new york is the equivlant to 100 years in normal time. They have suffered long enough.

QUOTE(BigSqwert @ Feb 22, 2006 -> 08:30 PM)
Damon going to pitch for them too?

Good call...was going to make some sort of comment about their "awesome" pitching staff.

Kyle Farnsworth was like the worst signing of the offseason...the guy is a headcase extreme as it is, but going to New York is probably going to multiply that by 100. Add to the fact that for whatever reason he's an every other year pitcher...with odd years being the good years...he probably isn't looking forward to a good 2006.

RJ-Mussina-Chacon-Wang-Pavano/Wright/Small...you can't question their depth, but I would venture to guess none of those pitchers crack the Sox top 6. Quanitity over quality is apparently the Yankees' motto when it comes to starting pitching.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Feb 23, 2006 -> 12:06 AM)
RJ-Mussina-Chacon-Wang-Pavano/Wright/Small...you can't question their depth, but I would venture to guess none of those pitchers crack the Sox top 6. 

I'd still take Randy on our staff, at least for this year (who knows how many he has left). Most people think he had an off year last year, and he still finished 17-8 with a 3.79 ERA, 211 strikeouts, and a WHIP around 1.12. I know the record is a bit inflated, but that's still pretty solid for about 98% of the pitchers in the league.

But yeah, the rest of the staff is pretty brutal. I'm not sure how you think you're going to win when your #2 is Mussina and you don't know who your #3 is because they are all pretty bad.

QUOTE(ZoomSlowik @ Feb 23, 2006 -> 02:55 PM)
I'd still take Randy on our staff, at least for this year (who knows how many he has left). Most people think he had an off year last year, and he still finished 17-8 with a 3.79 ERA, 211 strikeouts, and a WHIP around 1.12. I know the record is a bit inflated, but that's still pretty solid for about 98% of the pitchers in the league.

But yeah, the rest of the staff is pretty brutal. I'm not sure how you think you're going to win when your #2 is Mussina and you don't know who your #3 is because they are all pretty bad.

Chacon has always been highly thought of, and getting out of Colorado seemed to do him wonders. Small was 10-0 last year. He'll probably drop off a lot. I am not a fan of Pavano, but with that offense, an ERA below 5.00 could get you a decent record.

Who are you taking out of the staff to get RJ in though? That's my question.

Of all the Yankee pitchers, he was probably the most arguable...but considering USCF and how much the wind benefits RHB and the fact that he's a year older, I'm just not sure I could even see him putting up a sub-4.00 ERA.

Also, from how Chacon pitched in the second half of last year, one could argue him over Vazquez or McCarthy - same thing with Wang. I just so happen to love Vazquez having looked at his peripherals from the past couple years and think he is in for a very good year with the Sox, so I'm only ever going to argue for him. McCarthy one could argue over, but it would be hard to with no bias.

Well, he had a dominant September that made his overall numbers look pretty solid. But for he most part, he wasn't typical Randy Johnson. His era was well over 4 for most of the year. He gave up more hits last year than any year before that in a while. Part of that obviously came from pitching in the al. He's still plenty good. He's just not what he once was. And he's a year older now.