McCarthy's flaw fixed

SSH2005

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseb...rtswhitesox-hed

McCarthy flaw indexed

BY MARK GONZALES

Published February 23, 2006

TUCSON, Ariz. -- Brandon McCarthy threw sharp curves to Jim Thome during batting practice Wednesday, but the White Sox's 22-year-old pitcher and the coaching staff were more encouraged by another development.

McCarthy put his left index finger into his glove while he pitched.

The Sox staff believed McCarthy was tipping his pitches last year, so he tucked his finger in his glove and felt comfortable.

"Sometimes I'd stick my finger out or do random things that I wouldn't know about," McCarthy said. "I'm also keeping the glove wide open. Unless someone sees something, I just don't think about it."

Pitching coach Don Cooper was more encouraged.

"It's something we have to fix," Cooper said. "This isn't the first time we worked on it. We're going to lick it. We'll be fine. We want to be sure we're not tipping stuff."

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Feb 23, 2006 -> 12:21 PM)
If he was tipping pitches down the stretch...and still destroying Boston and Texas...he might not give up a hit this season.

LOL. That's what I was thinking. I wonder if they meant he was tipping his pitches earlier in the season when he struggled. It's hard to believe he was doing that in the second half.