The reluctant leader recognized

southsider2k5

http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarepublic/s...itesox0223.html

Great lines by good ol AJ

Pierzynski came to Chicago a year ago with a reputation as different from Konerko's as a fastball and a screwball. Konerko was the quiet leader. Pierzynski was the wise guy.

Asked Wednesday whether he echoed the feelings of his teammates that Konerko was the unquestioned leader, Pierzynski looked around in mock horror.

"I thought it was me for so long but I guess I was wrong," he said before turning serious for a second.

"No, Paulie's our leader. Everyone knows that."

Due homage paid, Pierzynski quickly returned to his wise-guy mode. Referring to the tradition in hockey where a team captain wears a "C" on his jersey and his alternates are awarded the letter "A," he quipped:

"They said they were going to put an A on my jersey, but it stood for something else."

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Feb 23, 2006 -> 02:28 PM)
I love AJ, it still confuses me to how Twins fans could love him, sox fans love him, and Giants fans hated him, yet love Barry Bonds.

I think Bonds' record breaking numbers have a little bit to do with it. Fans can be pretty forgiving of players who help them win ballgames. My guess is that if Bonds took his act elsewhere, Giants fans would turn on him pretty quickly.

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2006 @ Feb 23, 2006 -> 12:32 PM)
True fans are gonna support the members of their team.  Think Barry wouldn't be king of Chicago if he was a White Sox or Flub?

I for one would be furious if I had a guy on my team who testified that he used steroids, whether willingly or unwillingly.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Feb 23, 2006 -> 02:50 PM)
I for one would be furious if I had a guy on my team who testified that he used steroids, whether willingly or unwillingly.

I would be as well. But many would still support him if he's on their team. Steroids or not. Having Bonds are you team gives you a pretty good chance to win.

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2006 @ Feb 23, 2006 -> 12:53 PM)
I would be as well.  But many would still support him if he's on their team.  Steroids or not.  Having Bonds are you team gives you a pretty good chance to win.

That's the sort of thing that would make me find another team to root for.

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2006 @ Feb 23, 2006 -> 03:32 PM)
True fans are gonna support the members of their team.  Think Barry wouldn't be king of Chicago if he was a White Sox or Flub?

I think AJ is a good example here. Most Sox fans couldn't stand him when he was with the Twins (I was one of them). And lets be honest, it was for good reason. The guy was an agitator and still is. Thing is, he also plays hard, puts up good numbers and is one of those guys who you love when he's on your side.

But either way, performance is usually the determining factor as to how a player is recieved by fans. If Barry Bonds was a crappy ballplayer, even Giants fans would hate him.

QUOTE(KevHead0881 @ Feb 23, 2006 -> 02:59 PM)
I think AJ is a good example here.  Most Sox fans couldn't stand him when he was with the Twins (I was one of them).  And lets be honest, it was for good reason.  The guy was an agitator and still is.  Thing is, he also plays hard, puts up good numbers and is one of those guys who you love when he's on your side.

But either way, performance is usually the determining factor as to how a player is recieved by fans.  If Barry Bonds was a crappy ballplayer, even Giants fans would hate him.

Exactly

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2006 @ Feb 23, 2006 -> 04:19 PM)
LOL.  C'mon,  Balta.  If you're a true Sox fan,  and I know you are,  they could sign Osama Bin Ladin and I know you could never turn your back on the Sox.  I know I couldn't.

s***, I would buy an Osama authentic head wrap for the games, with sewn on "bin laden" on the back

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Feb 23, 2006 -> 12:28 PM)
I love AJ, it still confuses me to how Twins fans could love him, sox fans love him, and Giants fans hated him, yet love Barry Bonds.

The situation that gets the most press over and over is how he wouldn't put his cards down to discuss pitchers with Brett Tomko before a game.

But when was the last time the Giants clubhouse was a rosy place to be?

Edited by Drew