Hometown Goodies

Heads22

Figured it was time for one of my random threads....

And I know you guys like food...

Do any of you have hometown favorites or special food that is prepared a special way in only your neck of the woods?

Example....

My hometown Dairy Queen makes a special treat named a Twin Cronnie....we're home of the only original Cronnie machine left in America. Here's what a Twin Cronnie is if you don't know:

A Twin Cronnie is a hot dog that has been cut in half and stuffed into an unsliced hamburger bun with a pocket carved in it. It's jammed with a special chile recipe Harden's uncle got from the Spanish explorer Cortez during his first visit to New Mexico, plus onions, mustard and anything else you want to put in.

Back home, it's stuffed with hamburger instead of chile.

Hickory smoked BBQ pork shoulder is a favorite around here for gatherings of any and all kinds. Several eateries sell the BBQ'ed meat by the pound or sandwich. As far as I know, it is unique to this area of western Kentucky. It's damn good stuff too.

Southside places like

Lindy's (Chili and Chocolate Malt) on Archer next to McKinley Park

Nicky's (Big Baby Special) in Alsip

Wonderburger(Wonderburger basket special, curly fries and special sauce) on 111th and Kedzie

Nino's Pizza at 115th and Cicero

87th and Cicero there is a greasyspoon hamburger/gyro joint on the North West corner

and of course when I worked in Markham

John's on 147th and Kedzie ( best damn Cheese Fries I have ever had, and they give you a fork with the fries)

These are items that pretty much are southside only and I have not been able to find suitable replacments in the Western Burbs.

Edited by southsideirish71

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Feb 24, 2006 -> 06:46 PM)
I miss skyline and goldstar chili, only place they are located is southern Ohio.

Skyline rules!

But they are located all over Ohio, and in Kentucky, Indiana, Michigan and Florida as well. Kroger grocery stores also carry Skyline frozen and/or canned in many states as well. I can buy Skyline at Publix grocery store about 4 miles from my house.

I prefer just a bowl of chili with a mound of finely shredded cheddar and oyster crackers. Add a side of garlic toast and I am in heaven. I'll always settle for a coney on a Vienna Beef hot dog (which I can get in Target down here, believe it or not) too!

Skyline Locations

If you are really jonesing and don't live near any of these, just order some online. I used to do it every winter until they started selling it down here.

Order Skyline Here

Hell, why we are at it, here is a link to find grocery stores that carry it, including Kroger and Meijer stores in Illiniois

Where to find Skyline in Grocery Stores