Fav. Classic Rock Song

Yoda

FINALS.

Like A Rolling Stone - Bob Dylan vs. A Day In The Life - The Beatles

A Day in the Life is brilliant, without a doubt, but like many, I would have gone with other Beatle songs. But of course, this is what Soxtalk chose and it has done superb.

The winner of this tournament will be decided tonight at 9pm CT. So if you haven’t voted, please do so.

QUOTE(Yoda @ Feb 24, 2006 -> 12:09 AM)
This tournament started off with 40 songs and now it is down to two songs. The contest has encountered some difficult matches and some that are no brainers for certain people. But this one proves to be, in my opinion, a good one.

Vote for your favorite song by bolding it.

FINALS.

Like A Rolling Stone - Bob Dylan vs. A Day In The Life - The Beatles

QUOTE(bmags @ Feb 27, 2006 -> 04:21 PM)
I can't help but laugh that a 19 year old may have picked the best classic rock song...hahaha...

I'm only in my 20s but I feel more qualified to discuss classic rock than modern rock (minus Nirvana and Audioslave, the only two bands of the 90s-00s that I have followed). Just because you didn't live through the era doesn't mean that you can't get into the music. Yes, I haven't seen any of these bands live (or at least live in their era, before they sold out and started playing $60 concerts to 50 years olds DAMN YOU EAGLES), but thats beauty of music. Most of it is saved for posterity and is easily accessible.

QUOTE(KWs OK for Me @ Feb 27, 2006 -> 04:10 PM)
I'm only in my 20s but I feel more qualified to discuss classic rock than modern rock (minus Nirvana and Audioslave, the only two bands of the 90s-00s that I have followed).  Just because you didn't live through the era doesn't mean that you can't get into the music.  Yes, I haven't seen any of these bands live (or at least live in their era, before they sold out and started playing $60 concerts to 50 years olds DAMN YOU EAGLES), but thats beauty of music.  Most of it is saved for posterity and is easily accessible.

Thank you. Somebody said it.

QUOTE(KWs OK for Me @ Feb 27, 2006 -> 10:10 PM)
I'm only in my 20s but I feel more qualified to discuss classic rock than modern rock (minus Nirvana and Audioslave, the only two bands of the 90s-00s that I have followed).  Just because you didn't live through the era doesn't mean that you can't get into the music.  Yes, I haven't seen any of these bands live (or at least live in their era, before they sold out and started playing $60 concerts to 50 years olds DAMN YOU EAGLES), but thats beauty of music.  Most of it is saved for posterity and is easily accessible.

I don't really need a lecture on classic rock buddy. I've listened to hundreds of albums from 1965 - 1980, and even more form 80-2006, but there's something that can't be accounted for in just listening to an album. I will never be able to understand the sentimentality or the context of these songs. As much as i love pavement, i will never be able to love them the way that the fans did when they were getting slanted and enchanted on copied tapes. Which is why i found it funny that i actually had my song go the final round, in a forum where there are dozens more people who lived during that era and know hundreds of more songs than me. And bands for that matter.

edit: i kind of read that as you saying i wasn't trying to get into the music.

Edited by bmags

Ladies and gentleman, this contest has officially come to an end. I have the results of this finale and it was a close one. Let me first say that this tournament was created just for fun. I’m glad you guys participated by voting even though some might have disagreed with the finalists of this competition.

I give you the champ . . .

*Drumroll*

A Day In The Life by The Beatles.

The results (numbers in bold are the total votes the song received):

9 Like A Rolling Stone - Bob Dylan vs. 12 A Day In The Life - The Beatles

QUOTE(bmags @ Feb 27, 2006 -> 05:15 PM)
I don't really need a lecture on classic rock buddy. I've listened to hundreds of albums from 1965 - 1980, and even more form 80-2006, but there's something that can't be accounted for in just listening to an album. I will never be able to understand the sentimentality or the context of these songs. As much as i love pavement, i will never be able to love them the way that the fans did when they were getting slanted and enchanted on copied tapes. Which is why i found it funny that i actually had my song go the final round, in a forum where there are dozens more people who lived during that era and know hundreds of more songs than me. And bands for that matter.

You know what one of the most antagonizing words is . . . buddy. When you're at a party and the guy is trying to clear people and he's like 'alright buddy lets get out' or at last call when bouncers are doing the same. Everytime I am referred to as buddy I just want to turn around and take a swing at the first person I see. But moving on.

A lecture on classic rock? Hey pot, this is kettle, your black. I believe it was you who was giving me the lecture. Because we didn't live through the era I think that us "youngens" can offer a valuable opinion. It allows people to offset the nostalgia and memories that go along with a song with those who simply listen to it musically and get attached to it that way. Because of this I don't think it is random that you, Mr. "I lived through the era and know the music", favorite's song coincided with us young whippersnappers who want our immediate gratification and MTV.

I know if I wanted to explain to a traveler from Mars what Rock and Roll is all about, I'd play him A Day . . . The screaming guitars, the heavy bass and drum beats, the loud lyrics, all spell classic rock to me. :headshake It's like it winning classic r&b as well. To me classic rock is loud, fast, and pounding.

QUOTE(KWs OK for Me @ Feb 27, 2006 -> 10:34 PM)
  Because of this I don't think it is random that you, Mr. "I lived through the era and know the music", favorite's song coincided with us young whippersnappers who want our immediate gratification and MTV.

:lolhitting :lolhitting :lolhitting

I think I asked this before, but when did classic rock end?....or has it? When did the 1st classic rock stations go on the air and what did they play back then? Does a song become classic once a certain period of time has passed? Will Nirvana, for example be considered classic some day? I think some classic rock stations already play U2 and Pearl Jam.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Feb 27, 2006 -> 05:58 PM)

To me classic rock is loud, fast, and pounding.

Trying to label/compartmentalize/categorize is an exercise in futility, but I think loud+fast+pounding = classic rock would by definition exclude some of the best of classic rock. Jimi's Little Wing or Clapton's Wonderful Tonight, for example, are none of those things. But if you tell me Litttle Wing is not Classic Rock I'll beat you over the head with a pre-CBS Stratocaster.

A Day in the Life is deserving because for me is sums up a whole lot of the history of rock music, even if the song itself employs violas instead of Vox amps. It's the culminating piece on the album that defined a huge chunk of what classic rock is and demonstrated how expansive rock could be. There is a psychedelia/drug culture undercurrent expressed in the lyrics and the music that very much had its finger on the pulse of Rock and Roll's coming of age.

It's also a near perfect collaboration between the two most impoortant composers in rock history who really rarely ever wrote together despite the ubiquitous Lennon/McCartney byline. Everyone thinks of the song as a John song, and at its heart it is. But the counterpoint Paul's "Woke up, got out of bed. . . " extended bridge provides makes the song pretty focking brilliant.

George Martin's contribution to the song truly also should garner him full coauthorship, but I feel that way about a lot of the Beatles catalog.

It's also such a watershed song in the world of concept rock. The stream of conciousness freeflow - in which a news story about the disrepair of Blackburn Lancashire and the mundaneness of running late to catch a bus are elevated to laterary status - would impress James Joyce.

Basically, I think the song is the perfect logical choice (though I never would have picked it in my initiial vote) because it's so more than what it seems as far as what it embodies and what it means to the genre.