Be aware of m-Qube

Queen Prawn

Just wanted to put this out here.

I started receiving text messages as of last month about ringtones and such. I don't download anykind of ringtones for my phone (just not something I want). Well, I looked at my bill online today and there is a $32 charge and I call and I am told I was signed up to a subsription for a ringtone download. Luckily Cingular is getting me a refund and I contacted m-Qube and requested to be removed and let them know I never signed up for this in the first place.

So if you get text messages from someone you are not familiar with (and they are made to look like they are from Cingular), be aware they might not be and it seems that just by opening the text message, you are unknowingly signing up for an expensive service you likely do not want.

I did something stupid a few weeks ago.

My mom and I were listening to the Score on a Saturday morning, and this one guy kept plugging his 800 number for free picks. My mom was complaining about how obnoxious he was, and I figured he was just going to give out different results to the same game so I wanted to bust the guy.

The first 800 number I called was a message plugging his 900 number that cost $15 where you got 3 picks. It said to get connected to that 900 numbers press any number (or key?) so I hung up. Then I called a different numbers and got a live operator asking me about getting free picks. I was expecting a message, so I just played it off like I dialed the wrong number.

About an hour later this 702 area code number calls me asking me about betting on basketball, and I told him I'm not invovled with that crap and I dialed the wrong number.

Since then they have called me from a couple of different numbers (I assigned it to an ignore contact with a seperate ringer) left me a voicemail once, and got me to pick up another time because it came up as "restricted" on my phone. I'm afraid I'm getting billed from these assholes, but I'm really not in the mood to change my phone number.

Any advice?

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Feb 23, 2006 -> 10:36 PM)
I did something stupid a few weeks ago.

My mom and I were listening to the Score on a Saturday morning, and this one guy kept plugging his 800 number for free picks.  My mom was complaining about how obnoxious he was, and I figured he was just going to give out different results to the same game so I wanted to bust the guy. 

The first 800 number I called was a message plugging his 900 number that cost $15 where you got 3 picks.  It said to get connected to that 900 numbers press any number (or key?) so I hung up.  Then I called a different numbers and got a live operator asking me about getting free picks.  I was expecting a message, so I just played it off like I dialed the wrong number.

About an hour later this 702 area code number calls me asking me about betting on basketball, and I told him I'm not invovled with that crap and I dialed the wrong number.

Since then they have called me from a couple of different numbers (I assigned it to an ignore contact with a seperate ringer) left me a voicemail once, and got me to pick up another time because it came up as "restricted" on my phone.  I'm afraid I'm getting billed from these assholes, but I'm really not in the mood to change my phone number.

Any advice?

Call the phone company and tell them what happened. You should be able to get a bill mid cycle and check if they are somehow charging you. You should also have the ability to block them (I have this option on my Trio with Cingular service). Doesn't help if they call from different #'s every time, but hopefully after you block them a few times they will stop calling.

QUOTE(Steff @ Feb 23, 2006 -> 11:39 PM)
Call the phone company and tell them what happened. You should be able to get a bill mid cycle and check if they are somehow charging you. You should also have the ability to block them (I have this option on my Trio with Cingular service). Doesn't help if they call from different #'s every time, but hopefully after you block them a few times they will stop calling.

Well I called the phone help line, and they said they can't block the specific number, (US Cellular) and to register with the do not call list. They also made the suggestion of assigning the number a ringtone, and if they still bug me to change my number.

I guess I'll figure out the damage, if any, in another week or so. :pray

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Feb 23, 2006 -> 10:47 PM)
Well I called the phone help line,  and they said they can't block the specific number, (US Cellular) and to register with the do not call list.  They also made the suggestion of assigning the number a ringtone, and if they still bug me to change my number. 

I guess I'll figure out the damage, if any, in another week or so.  :pray

I'd call back and tell them to check your bill. Mention that you won't be paying it if there are fradulent charges and will hold them responsible for not helping you. If anything, that might get you on the line with someone over a normal customer service person who should be able to help you more then what they told you.

QUOTE(Steff @ Feb 23, 2006 -> 10:19 PM)
www.B-O-L-O-G-N-A.com

Also known as

http://www.snopes.com/politics/business/cell411.asp

:lol:

I actually got in trouble when I replied to a company-wide email that said that we should put our cell phone #'s on that list. I responded with the info from that website.

That being said, I've never heard of receiving text messages from an unknown company that causes you to get charged for something when you merely read the message. I have received text messages from my cell-phone provider telling me to "keep and eye out for great savings at their website".

I'm thinking that the do-not call list wouldn't be much help for things like that anyway.

Edited by Iwritecode

As it turns out I don't think it was the messages themself. We downloaded to Brian's phone a couple ring tones and a wall paper that were supposed to be from the cingular store. Turns out it wasn't - it's from another company and as soon as you download a ring tone, you are signed up to a subscription without knowing it. Or at least that is the only thing that makes sense so far (except that it was to his number, not mine - but mine is the "parent" number so I think that is why i get the txt msgs rather than him).