Borchard Snippet

RME JICO

By RICK GANO, AP Sports Writer

February 23, 2006

OF Joe Borchard, who is out of minor league options and who has not emerged as the player the White Sox hoped for when they drafted him in the first round six years ago, said he's fully committed to baseball. Borchard was a quarterback at Stanford before signing a $5.3 million bonus to join the White Sox. He's spent most of his time in the minors and has batted just .191 in 102 major league games with 12 homers. He had 29 homers at Triple-A Charlotte last year. "Make no mistake I'm completely committed to baseball and you know if they have a spot for me here, that's great," Borchard said Thursday. "If not, you know that's also OK. There are certainly no hard feelings, no finger pointing going to be involved. You just have to go where you are wanted. And where the situation takes you."

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_ylt=AiWq...ov=ap&type=lgns

Borchard's last stand

Bonus baby still a big maybe in final shot to make Sox's roster

By Mark Gonzales

Tribune staff reporter

February 23, 2006, 10:03 PM CST

TUCSON, Ariz. -- Baseball remains Joe Borchard's top priority, even as he faces a final decision this spring with the White Sox while a distant football pedigree lurks in the background.

Borchard is out of minor-league options, so if he doesn't make the Sox he will be traded or placed on waivers and can be claimed by another team.

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sp...tesox-headlines

Clock ticking as Borchard battles for roster spot

By Scot Gregor

Daily Herald Sports Writer

Posted Friday, February 24, 2006

TUCSON, Ariz. — While admitting he did kick around the idea of giving football another try, White Sox outfielder Joe Borchard made his top priority quite clear Thursday.

Make me laugh: Joe Borchard, on giving up his uniform No. 25 to veteran slugger Jim Thome: “What’s he ever done?’’

Borchard on buying a home in Charlotte, N.C., where the Sox’ Class AAA team is located: “I played there for so long, I could run for mayor.’’

http://www.dailyherald.com/sports/whitesox.asp?id=159645

Edited by RME JICO

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Feb 24, 2006 -> 06:48 PM)
If we let Borchard go, I'm sure the Royals will jump on him.  They would get the first chance in waiver priority.

They probably would, though I think their 40-man is at 40 right now. The Marlins are probably the only team that has the uh... luxury... of being able to give a guy like Joe the kind of playin time he needs to prove he can hit the ball or prove he'll never hit the ball.

They probably would, though I think their 40-man is at 40 right now. The Marlins are probably the only team that has the uh... luxury... of being able to give a guy like Joe the kind of playin time he needs to prove he can hit the ball or prove he'll never hit the ball.

But they're the Royals. It's not like they have an entire 40-man roster of good players. They could afford to dump one of their scrubs for a somewhat young outfielder with power potential. That's what the Royals were looking for in the offseason. Sure, the Marlins would probably jump on Borchard if they could but I doubt they would ever get the chance.

Edited by SSH2005

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Feb 24, 2006 -> 02:35 PM)
The more Borch says, the more I think he's going to be elsewhere this season.

definitely. if the writing wasnt on the wall before his football interview came out, he went ahead and spray-painted it in hot pink so no one would miss it.

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Feb 24, 2006 -> 01:21 PM)
But they're the Royals.  It's not like they have an entire 40-man roster of good players.  They could afford to dump one of their scrubs for a somewhat young outfielder with power potential.  That's what the Royals were looking for in the offseason.  Sure, the Marlins would probably jump on Borchard if they could but I doubt they would ever get the chance.

So where do you play him?

Dump Emil Brown? No

Dump Reggie Sanders? No

Dump David Dejesus? Hell no

Mientkiewicz? No

Sweeney? No

That covers absolutely everywhere Borchard could play on that team - and they have enough 4th OFers as is.

I don't buy the "they're the Royals" excuse - the Royals are probably going to be a surprise team in the AL this year, and I could very easily see them duplicating their 2003 season. They don't have a real big hole anywhere in their lineup, they have 5 starters who will probably all be decent, and their bullpen is, in large part, underrated.

Do not sleep on the Royals...I think they will finish in 4th place, but depending upon how any of the teams in the AL Central start out or how healthy they stay, I could see the Royals as high as 2nd place.

So where do you play him?

Dump Emil Brown?  No

Dump Reggie Sanders? No

Dump David Dejesus?  Hell no

Mientkiewicz? No

Sweeney? No

That covers absolutely everywhere Borchard could play on that team - and they have enough 4th OFers as is. 

I don't buy the "they're the Royals" excuse - the Royals are probably going to be a surprise team in the AL this year, and I could very easily see them duplicating their 2003 season.  They don't have a real big hole anywhere in their lineup, they have 5 starters who will probably all be decent, and their bullpen is, in large part, underrated.

Do not sleep on the Royals...I think they will finish in 4th place, but depending upon how any of the teams in the AL Central start out or how healthy they stay, I could see the Royals as high as 2nd place.

The Royals could claim Borchard and keep him on the bench. Then when the Royals are out of contention for third place by the deadline, they could trade Emil Brown to a contender that needs an extra outfielder. Emil Brown is a 31 year old journeyman who had a career year last season and he's only under contract for 2006. The Royals aren't going to contend for anything other than fourth place so they may as well start a guy like Borchard in RF and see what he can do.

There's a lot of expendable players on their 40-man, so if theyve been reading this board and believe the idea that Borchard can be a good 4th outfielder they could go out of their way to grab him. But he really doesnt look much better than any of the other outfielders they have already.

What I'm saying is, I fully expect the White Sox to have better options for their 25th roster spot, and I fully expect some team to grab Borchard when he goes through waivers.

What I'm also saying is that not a big deal.

If we really want a guy who will hit .190, strike out once every three at bats, and hit the occasional moonshot, we could give Sammy Sosa a call.

Edited by R.J.

If we really want a guy who will hit .190, strike out once every three at bats, and hit the occasional moonshot, we could give Sammy Sosa a call.

Thats such a bad comparison. I mean, one is out of baseball, another is 25, one is...ah screw it, I'm tired of trying to defend the value of Borchard. At least until he OPS' 900 in spring training--or 600. Hello Timo II!