2006 MLB Catch-All Thread

southsider2k5

Is Suppan going in game 2 or 3?

If he's going in game 2, that's stupid in my mind. You need to get your best pitcher out there as often as possible. Ozzie didn't do much managing last year in the postseason, but what he did do right was putting Contreras in a position to start as many games as possible.

If Suppan starts tomorrow, and this goes to game 6 with the Cards down 3-2, how stupid does LaRussa feel?

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm starting to think the best World Series match up would be Detroit vs. St. Louis.

Mets have Glavine and that is it. For the Cards, Weaver is pitching well, Suppan can be solid, and while Carpenter struggled last night, he can easily turn it on.

Detroit's staff could shut down or contain the Mets line up and rake on their starters, IMO.

QUOTE(Brian @ Oct 14, 2006 -> 09:18 AM)
I'm starting to think the best World Series match up would be Detroit vs. St. Louis.

Mets have Glavine and that is it. For the Cards, Weaver is pitching well, Suppan can be solid, and while Carpenter struggled last night, he can easily turn it on.

Detroit's staff could shut down or contain the Mets line up and rake on their starters, IMO.

There is no chance the World Series lasts longer than 5 games either way. For the 3rd straight year, the NL is a joke that will be shown the door quickly in the World Series.

This just solidifies it Freddy Garcia must be traded this offseason and Buehrle needs to either be signed to a new long term deal or dealt elsewhere, the White Sox can not afford to let these guys walk and receive nothing in return for them.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Oct 21, 2006 -> 01:56 PM)
This just solidifies it Freddy Garcia must be traded this offseason and Buehrle needs to either be signed to a new long term deal or dealt elsewhere, the White Sox can not afford to let these guys walk and receive nothing in return for them.

Jermaine Dye and Tadahito Iguchi are on the same list, FWIW.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Oct 25, 2006 -> 06:14 PM)
I see he made 6.5 last season, anyone have the info on the rest of his deal?

Seriously People, it's called "The Google". It's not that hard.

Tim Hudson probably would have gotten more money by becoming a free agent. He had other things on his mind, like playing close to home for the team he rooted for as a kid.

Hudson completed a $47 million, four-year contract extension with the Atlanta Braves on Tuesday, giving up the chance to go through free agency at the end of the season.

"I knew all along this was the place I wanted to be," said Hudson, a former 20-game winner. "It was just a matter of getting together with a fair-enough contract."

Hudson will make $6.75 million (In 2005). His new deal calls for a $10 million signing bonus, payable when the contract is approved by the commissioner's office, and salaries of $4 million in 2006, $6 million in 2007 and $13 million each in 2008 and 2009.

Hudson's extension contains a $12 million mutual option for 2010 with a $1 million buyout. If the option is exercised, the deal would be worth $58 million over five years.

Edited by Balta1701

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Oct 26, 2006 -> 09:49 AM)
Plus a sinkerballer like Huddy would look real good. I don't know if the Braves would move him though, considering his 06 and 07 salaries are incredibly attractive.

I think it's pretty clear that his contract was constructed in such a way that he could be moved right around now if the Braves were willing to save money...its entirely back loaded, so that if they do want to move him, they can do so either now maybe without having to send along cash or before 08 while sending along some cash. It looks somewhat like what the Marlins did with Delgado.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Oct 26, 2006 -> 11:34 AM)
I think it's pretty clear that his contract was constructed in such a way that he could be moved right around now if the Braves were willing to save money...its entirely back loaded, so that if they do want to move him, they can do so either now maybe without having to send along cash or before 08 while sending along some cash. It looks somewhat like what the Marlins did with Delgado.

Or if he's pitching like he has most of his career they get two cheap years from him and than deal him for something of value without having to pick up any of his contract. A healthy Huddy on the open market is worth 13 mill a year. In fact given some of his years with the A's, you could say he's worth potentially a bit more.

If we could get him for prospetcs I'd be all over that deal. I just don't see the Braves moving him when his contract is so affordable (unless they are getting MLB top 20 prospects and the White Sox really can't offer that).

However, if we could swing some sort of 3 way deal with Garcia going somewhere, us getting Huddy back all while giving up an extra prospect and a 3rd team getting involved fantastic. But that still seems hard to do cause you'd think the other team would prefer Hudson.

Than the Sox have the ability to move Contreras (if he'd waive his no trade clause) or someone else and load up our farm system while making room for Bmac. I'd just really like to get a sinker baller like Huddy who has an affordable contract onto the Southside.

QUOTE(3 BeWareTheNewSox 5 @ Oct 26, 2006 -> 11:40 PM)
ESPN is saying Bochey is now the Giants manager, so the Padres have an opening.

Why the hell would he take that awful job? Was there problems with him and towers? The Padres job now becomes the best job out there. Padres have money to spend, I think they land Zito this offseason.

QUOTE(WhiteSoxfan1986 @ Oct 27, 2006 -> 01:15 PM)
Why the hell would he take that awful job? Was there problems with him and towers? The Padres job now becomes the best job out there. Padres have money to spend, I think they land Zito this offseason.

From what I've read, the Padres said they wouldn't give him an extension now (he had only one year left on his Pads contract). So that's at least part of it. Whether he wanted to move on anyway is hard to tell.

QUOTE(jackie hayes @ Oct 28, 2006 -> 02:11 PM)
From what I've read, the Padres said they wouldn't give him an extension now (he had only one year left on his Pads contract). So that's at least part of it. Whether he wanted to move on anyway is hard to tell.

And based on his experience, he was going to get paid more money than the Padres wanted to spend on a manger, I believe.