2006 MLB Catch-All Thread

southsider2k5

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Dec 5, 2006 -> 06:34 PM)
That division does not look like it will be "average" for long. The D-Backs and Dodgers are loaded with young talent, the Padres have a solid young pitching staff and some talent on the field, the Rockies are slowly but surely building a pitching staff.

I'm not too familiar with Colorado's system, but doesn't their pitching-staff owe more to the humidor than skill?

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Dec 6, 2006 -> 09:38 AM)
I'm not too familiar with Colorado's system, but doesn't their pitching-staff owe more to the humidor than skill?

Huh? Colorado's always been a tough place to be a pitcher. Just recently, are they finally figuring things out there.

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Dec 6, 2006 -> 08:52 AM)
Huh? Colorado's always been a tough place to be a pitcher. Just recently, are they finally figuring things out there.

I know Colorado's a toughplace to pitch. I'm just saying that you don't necessarily have to be that good anymore because of their humidor.

QUOTE(jackie hayes @ Dec 6, 2006 -> 10:31 AM)
Another episode of your favorite, Which One Does Not Belong. From rotoworld:

Man I hope the Cubs sign Meche for around $10 million. That would be worse than the Soriano signing. Meche had a 5.14 ERA away from the friendly confines of Safeco field last year.

Lily is down to Yankees or the Cubs... looking at 10 per for 4... which is a ton of money IMO, especially when that wind is whipping out at Wrigley.

So, if the Cubs sign him, get ready for the Cubune and Levine to make Lily out to be the greatest LHP in the last 20 years

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Dec 9, 2006 -> 01:25 PM)
Brandon Inge agreed to a 3 year, $24 million extension with the Tigers. He was arbitration eligible and could have become a Free Agent after 2007.

YOU HEAR THAT JOE?

Better defense and the same power with the ability to actually draw a walk. He just doesn't make contact at nearly the rate Joe does. Is Crede really worth an extra year and probably $50 million more committed than that? I don't think so

(and it was 4/$24)

A Willie Harris sighting:

Braves signed second baseman-outfielder Willie Harris to a minor league contract and invited him to spring training.

The deal was actually done weeks ago. Harris, 28, is a .238/.306/.294 hitter in 899 at-bats as a major leaguer. He can play quality defense at second base and in center field, and he walks enough that he'd be a solid bench player if he could just hit .260. Still, he'll need a big spring to make the Braves.

And Hermanson:

The Yankees are reviewing free agent Dustin Hermanson's medical records and could offer him a contract if they like what they see.

Hermanson might not have to settle for a minor league deal, but he is looking at a pay cut from the $3 million he made last season. If he wants to pitch for a contender, the Yankees are probably his bet. However, he could have a more meaningful role elsewhere

QUOTE(redandwhite @ Dec 11, 2006 -> 10:49 PM)
Could Willie Harris start in Atlanta next year or atleast be a viable bench option for that club if Marcus Giles is in fact not tendered a contract?

i always thought giles was a good ball player, he didnt have too good of a year last yr though. why wouldnt they offer him a contract?

QUOTE(redandwhite @ Dec 11, 2006 -> 11:11 PM)
He is a good ball player, I especially like him. Still, he's due to make more than the Braves want to pay him and considering the non-tender deadline is coming up fast, I happen to think he'll be cut.

i would love to see him in a sox uni, i actually like him more than gooch. im sure he'll bounce back from the off year he had last year.