2006 MLB Catch-All Thread

southsider2k5

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In fun news, San Diego pitcher Mike Thompson make his major league debut at Arizona. The Padres offense did a nice job helping him out, scoring 9 runs in the top of the first inning.

EDITOR'S NOTE: The Padres bullpen has exploded, and the Padres 9 run 1st has been all but washed out by an 8 run Arizona 6th. It's now 11-10 Padres over Arizona going to the 7th inning :lol: :lol: :lol:

Also, in fact, the Padres led this game 10-0 after an inning and a half. Amazing.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE(WilliamTell @ May 18, 2006 -> 11:10 AM)
Wow am I really behind. I didn't know Borchard went to the Marlins. I guess I missed the Mariners/Marlins trade. He almost just hit one out. Warning track power.

No trade, the Mariners put him on waivers when Matt Lawton came back from the steroid suspension list.

Reds pitcher continues verbal assault

By Joe Rutter

TRIBUNE-REVIEW

Friday, May 19, 2006

Bronson Arroyo didn't back down Thursday from the disparaging comments he made against the Pirates one night earlier. Instead, he stepped up and continued to assail his former team.

Arroyo, the losing pitcher in the Pirates' 7-2 victory Wednesday night, stood by his statement that he was beaten by an inferior team. And he was surprised to learn several Pirates players were upset by what was said.

"The Pirates? That is a weak lineup," Arroyo said before the game yesterday. "What else do you want me to say? They're not the Yankees."

The Cincinnati Reds lost their fifth in a row after Arroyo, who was 5-1 with a 2.03 ERA entering the game, gave up four runs and nine hits in six innings. The Pirates scored four runs in the first two innings, two coming on pitcher Oliver Perez's single.

"I felt like I was embarrassed to get behind 4-1 early in a game like that," said Arroyo, who joined the Reds in a spring training trade with the Boston Red Sox. "It's not a secret. They don't have a bunch of All-Stars in that lineup. They had seven righties up there, which is tailor-made for me. I was embarrassed to be beaten by those guys.

"That's not to say you can't be beat on any given day, but I thought it was a horse (crap) outing, especially against a team like that. I mean, they are one of the weakest teams in baseball. That's just the way it is. If I gave up four runs in six innings to the Yankees, I probably wouldn't be embarrassed, but I was."

Arroyo played for the Pirates from 2000-02. He said Wednesday he felt no pressure pitching in Pittsburgh for the first time since his departure.

"If I can't stand on the mound and feel comfortable against that lineup, then something's wrong with me," he said.

That comment provided bulletin-board material for the Pirates. The quote was highlighted on a piece of paper and placed atop a table in the middle of the clubhouse for all players to see.

"What he said was very disrespectful," shortstop Jack Wilson said. "When you're out on the field, you respect everything. You respect the game, you respect your players and you respect the other team's players. To come out and say that, especially against your former teammates, guys who've played with you, it's more disrespectful.

"You take it personally. You can be frustrated with an outing and think you've faced better lineups, but don't come out publicly and rip your old teammates. The fact is, we hit the ball well and the score could have been worse."

Arroyo offered no apologies for his candor and used his team as an example.

"I'm not disrespecting anybody. I'm just stating the facts," he said. "We don't have a lights-out rotation here. We don't have a lights-out bullpen. That's just a fact. We don't have a busload of guys that are Randy Johnsons. We don't have anybody in our rotation that's a Randy Johnson. That's just the way it is.

"If the Yankees were playing us and they said they were embarrassed to be beat by Dave Williams, Bronson Arroyo and Brandon Claussen, hey, I'm not going to take offense to it. I know these are three guys the Yankees shouldn't be beaten by. I don't think I should be beaten by a lineup that sends seven righties at me and doesn't have a lot of juice in its lineup or whatever you want to call it."

Pirates manager Jim Tracy refused to be drawn into the war of words.

"I'm not throwing any mud back," he said. "We came in here yesterday trying to win a game, and we accomplished that. The lineup last night did a very decent job. Move on."

Joe Rutter can be reached at [email protected].

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/s_454578.html

So first of all, Joe Borchard had a 2 run single to give the Marlins a 4-3 lead at Tampa in the 8th tonight, however the Marlins blew it and lost 5-4 in the 10th.

The big story tonight was the attendance though:

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/boxscore?gameId=260519130

"Attendance: 100,017 (242.1% full)"

Damn I hope that's right and they don't change it, that's a hell of a crowd if true. Also, there was a 1 MPH wind according to that link, despite the game being played in a dome.

Dodgers show how to make a rally:

- Dodgers sixth.

- Furcal struck out, safe on wild pitch by Yan, Furcal to first.

- Cruz Jr fouled out to third baseman McPherson.

- Garciaparra doubled to left, Furcal to third.

- J.Drew was intentionally walked.

- Kent was hit by a pitch, Furcal scored, Garciaparra to third, J.Drew to second.

- W.Aybar doubled to right, Garciaparra scored, J.Drew scored, Kent to third.

- McPherson in as first baseman.

- Alfonzo in as third baseman.

- Romero pitching.

- A.Ethier singled to right, Kent scored, W.Aybar to third.

- R.Martin singled to left, W.Aybar scored, A.Ethier to second.

- Saenz pinch-hitting for Sele.

- Saenz singled to right, A.Ethier scored, R.Martin to third.

- Furcal tripled to center, R.Martin scored, Saenz scored.

- Cruz Jr struck out.

- Garciaparra singled to left, Furcal scored.

- J.Drew infield single to first, Garciaparra to second.

- Kent singled to right, Garciaparra to third, J.Drew to second.

- W.Aybar grounded out, second baseman A.Kennedy to first baseman McPherson.

They still left the bases loaded. :P

QUOTE(Heads22 @ May 20, 2006 -> 12:02 AM)
Dodgers show how to make a rally:

- Dodgers sixth.

- Furcal struck out, safe on wild pitch by Yan, Furcal to first.

- Cruz Jr fouled out to third baseman McPherson.

- Garciaparra doubled to left, Furcal to third.

- J.Drew was intentionally walked.

- Kent was hit by a pitch, Furcal scored, Garciaparra to third, J.Drew to second.

- W.Aybar doubled to right, Garciaparra scored, J.Drew scored, Kent to third.

- McPherson in as first baseman.

- Alfonzo in as third baseman.

- Romero pitching.

- A.Ethier singled to right, Kent scored, W.Aybar to third.

- R.Martin singled to left, W.Aybar scored, A.Ethier to second.

- Saenz pinch-hitting for Sele.

- Saenz singled to right, A.Ethier scored, R.Martin to third.

- Furcal tripled to center, R.Martin scored, Saenz scored.

- Cruz Jr struck out.

- Garciaparra singled to left, Furcal scored.

- J.Drew infield single to first, Garciaparra to second.

- Kent singled to right, Garciaparra to third, J.Drew to second.

- W.Aybar grounded out, second baseman A.Kennedy to first baseman McPherson.

They still left the bases loaded. :P

Cruz killed that inning pretty much by himself

QUOTE(Jimbo @ May 21, 2006 -> 03:21 AM)
Does this mean Pedro Gomes gets reassigned to the professional putt putt league?

My guess is he'll be stalking Bonds, until he retires. However, I hope ESPN backs off a bit, since it'll be quite some time before he gets in range of Aaron's number.

From today's Trib

Frank Thomas returns to U. S. Cellular Field on Monday for the first time as the enemy but doesn't expect harsh words from fans, saying his only problem was with general manager Ken Williams. "It should be a good reception," Thomas, now with the A's, told the Contra Costa Times. "I never did anything on the way out. The bottom line is it wasn't my decision to leave. They got rid of me. I've had fans there for a long time and I appreciate everything they did for me. … [The problems were] between me and the general manager, and that should never have happened, either. … I had a lot of friends over there, and that's what's unfortunate about what he said. … I didn't have any enemies over there."

What exactly did he say that was so bad here? He pretty much just reiterated that he only had a problem with Kenny and not the fans. This will just be another way for people to rip on him even though he really didn't say s*** here.

Edited by Kalapse

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ May 21, 2006 -> 10:28 AM)
Did he say anything new? We all know KW and him had a beef. The end.

I wish it were The End. But Frank keeps talking about it. Usually until KW snaps and says some more stupid things. Stop. Repeat cycle.

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ May 21, 2006 -> 10:31 AM)
I wish it were The End. But Frank keeps talking about it. Usually until KW snaps and says some more stupid things. Stop. Repeat cycle.

The Big Skirt acts like a little girl in sooooooooo many ways. He's always whining about something and he can't keep his yap shut. He needs to go host a tea party or something and leave baseball to those who can actually still play the game.